Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have seen single breasted jackets with peak lapels, and as I was looking closely I noticed several stitches of thread connecting the inner part of the peak to the collar. This could conceivably serve to keep the lapel from "flopping around." But my question is:

Is this normal for peak lapels? Is this a sort of basting stitch that should or could be removed? I don't seem to remember noticing this before.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hello. I have seen single breasted jackets with peak lapels, and as I was looking closely I noticed several stitches of thread connecting the inner part of the peak to the collar. This could conceivably serve to keep the lapel from "flopping around." But my question is:

Is this normal for peak lapels? Is this a sort of basting stitch that should or could be removed? I don't seem to remember noticing this before.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.
It's quite common for tailors to do this, for the reason you suggested.

Edwin DeBoise

wwww.steed.co.uk

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great. Thank you very much for the quick response! So I take it then, that there is no reason to remove these stitches?

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Perfectly normal to have these stitches there. Mind you, I'm not sure how effective they actually are in practice - I have one Brioni suit where they've come undone on one lapel but are still present on the other side and I can't see any difference in how the peaks "hang".

Still though, their presence is a perfectly acceptable variant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.