Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just got this pea coat from Sterlingwear and was hoping for some feedback. My initial impression was that it was too big, but now I'm thinking I just need to get used to the way pea coats are supposed to fit.

I am 6'0" with a 36.5" chest and this is a 36 long Navigator. The shoulders feel like they fit perfectly, so I don't think going down a size is an option. I think the length is close to correct too. I'm just concerned about the chest and waist. I feel quite boxy in it, but maybe that's normal.

Let me know if this looks correct or if I should try something else. Thanks.

Outerwear Human body Neck Sleeve Gesture
Outerwear Dress shirt Sleeve Grey Collar
Joint Outerwear White Cabinetry Human body
Sleeve Waist Collar Blazer Woolen

· Registered
14,999 Posts
What are you wearing underneath? Just a shirt?

I normally don’t care for outerwear that hugs the body as it limits it’s designed usefulness. However, this one does seem quite boxy.

With outerwear, I’ll typically layer a sweater as well. I’m not sure that would change things all that much, but worth doing and then posting more pics.

· Registered
6,593 Posts
I agree with SH that outerwear shouldn't hug your body. This coat does not appear boxy to me, it looks like it should, with room to move and to layer a bulky sweater undeftheath and still not hug you like a straight jacket.

It does seem a couple of inches long for a peacoat, there is a lot of distance between the bottom button (which should be left undone) and the hem. It's serviceable but it would enhance the balance if you had it shortened 2 inches.

· Registered
8,536 Posts
It looks good to me. If you’re not wearing a sweater underneath there should be room for that and a scarf inside.

As for the advice for not buttoning the bottom button, that’s nonsense. This is a piece of outerwear, and fastening all of the buttons (which all line up with each other) will keep you warmer.

· Registered
384 Posts
As for the advice for not buttoning the bottom button, that's nonsense.
I was about to write the same, but then your post obviated the need to do so. Still, I'll have a go regardless.

I've never, ever heard it suggested that the lower button of what is ostensibly a winter garment should be left undone. To do so for no sensible, practical reason strikes me only as an exercise in unseemly decadence and affectation.

Personally I also always fasten the lower button on my waistcoats, failing as I do to see why I should care one whit that an obese king once upon a time had to undo his.

· Registered
1,780 Posts
While I think it fits you fine, a regular (not long) size coat would be ever so slightly more consistent with how a typical pea coat fits. But perhaps more relevantly, I get from your OP that you're not quite happy with it. Regardless of fit, good or bad, if you're not happy with it now, you won't be over time. I'd return it.

· Registered
450 Posts
It looks good to me. If you're not wearing a sweater underneath there should be room for that and a scarf inside.

As for the advice for not buttoning the bottom button, that's nonsense. This is a piece of outerwear, and fastening all of the buttons (which all line up with each other) will keep you warmer.
So should the zipper on a parka always be done up all the way?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the feedback.

I ordered a long size because I was primarily concerned with sleeve length, which is a constant problem for me when it comes to OTR clothing. I'm not sure I could afford to lose an inch or two from the sleeve length on this jacket, so I would maybe have to have it hemmed to fix the body length, instead of exchanging it for a regular length.

Also, I am wearing a button down and cardigan underneath the jacket in the photos, which is as much as I am likely to layer.

I'm still up in the air on this. I'll hang onto it for a few more days before making a final decision.

· Registered
6,593 Posts
To the above criticisms of not buttoning the bottom button of the peacoat. Certainly in a cold wind keeping the bottom from flapping about is just good common sense. The same can be said for bottoming closed the lapel, and popping the collar.

My BB peacoat has two buttons inside for fastening the DB jacket. When the bottom button is left unfastened it would take a stiff breeze to blow it open, and even then the inner flap will be covering my crotch and upper thighs. While it is not purely functional to leave the bottom button open, except in more extreme weather conditions, it will not adversely affect the performance of the coat. If it is that cold, I would be choosing a longer warmer coat anyway, or if caught short button it up. For the vast majority of the time, it makes no difference, but allows easier ingress and egress from a car.

Long overcoats, SB or DB, 3/4 coats, car coats, all tend to stay overlapped at the bottom far enough to provide warmth. On those blustery days one can always fasten them.

As for waist coats and sports coats, they are cut so that the lower button is to be left open. While there is little obvious pulling by fastening it on a properly fitting WC or SC, they are cut with a varying degree of flair at that point.

IMO, for all my winter coats, if conditions permit, they look better with the button open. Maybe it’s harckening back to how I expect to see my suit and sports coat affixed, but it is the look I am used to, and prefer. Zippered jackets obviously will be closed at the bottom, but they are inevitably shorter than coats, lighter weight (except for my shearling bomber), and the bottom hem gets pushed up behind my tush when seated in the car, so unlike a coat, does not cut across the upper thighs, allowing one to fully swing their legs without impediment. Try taking a drive with a car coat whose buttons are fastened at the bottom and with the bottom button undone. You will notice the increased comfort.

· Read Only
2,318 Posts
It depends on the type of fit you like, and your climate.

I bought a Schott peacoat that is similiar to that, the sleeves even baggier. I didn't like the boxy shape initially, but I came to appreciate it immensely over time for allowing me to layer comfortably, and never feel constricted.

Personally, I would keep it as is, but it's up to you.

From reading threads on Fedoralounge, the "Classic" peacoat military fit is actually relatively short, trim, and with high armholes.

· Registered
8,536 Posts
Looking again at the length of the coat, I believe that the length is almost perfect. The reason the coat looks too long is because the spacing of the buttons is off. I would guess that the buttons are spaced in the same way as a regular length coat, and the long coat just tacks on some additional length to the bottom. The coat just looks poorly designed.

As for the reasons stated for leaving the bottom button open, they are excellent reasons to do so, but they are merely a personal preference. The high button stance on this coat, however, means that there will be little benefit to leaving the bottom button open, and the coat would look even more oddly proportioned. Unlike with lounge coats, pea coats and overcoats have fewer rules as to how they must be worn.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.