Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not exactly a clothing issue, but important nonetheless, I think, for anyone who buys clothing online and through the thrift exchange. Two weeks ago, I sold goods via the thrift exchange. The buyer paid via PayPal, I shipped the merchandise. Yesterday, I got a nasty-gram from PayPal, which had pulled the funds from my PP account, which was now in negative balance. They wanted their money.

Well.

I called PP. They weren't exactly clear on what happened, but said it was due to concerns on the buyer's end. I told them that had nothing to do with me, that it was unfair to pull funds two weeks after the fact. I was informed they could do this for six months following a transaction.

Well.

I'm now on hold in the midst of my second call to PP, which has lasted entirely too long. First, they promised to give me my money back if I would provide the tracking number for the goods shipped (and thank God I had that as opposed to having just put it in the mail). Then, when I provided the tracking number, they STILL refused to give me my money.

The sum and substance is, PP won't protect you. Unlike with a debit or credit card, when things go sideways, you, not they, eat it. That's unconscionable, considering the percentage PP charges for each transaction. When I use PP as a buyer, I always have the funds go through my debit card, which allows automatic and quick refunds via a chargeback if something goes wrong, which can't be said about PP's dispute resolution process. As a seller, however, I'm not sure what can be done, other than use checks and snail mail, which I will do as much as possible in the future. Waiting a few days usually isn't that big of a deal. And it's much, much better than hassling with PP.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Maybe he wasn't happy with your merchandise. Maybe he bought a 48r Brooks Brothers suit from you and it came with size 34 pants. Of course when that happened to me I just threw the suit away and cursed the sellers name. Just a thought.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got off the phone with the buyer. Contrary to PP's claims, he did receive the goods--a pair of used shoes--and he had no problem with them. Furthermore, he tells me that PP has done this same thing to the last 15 or 20 of his transactions, yanking money from sellers and telling them the same thing PP told me. PP hasn't been clear on exactly what's going on, but one thing is certain: The buyer, a longtime denizen of this site, paid and the goods were shipped and received. I'm convinced he's an honest guy. I can't say the same thing about PP.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Just got off the phone with the buyer. Contrary to PP's claims, he did receive the goods--a pair of used shoes--and he had no problem with them. Furthermore, he tells me that PP has done this same thing to the last 15 or 20 of his transactions, yanking money from sellers and telling them the same thing PP told me. PP hasn't been clear on exactly what's going on, but one thing is certain: The buyer, a longtime denizen of this site, paid and the goods were shipped and received. I'm convinced he's an honest guy. I can't say the same thing about PP.
I would not rush to blame PayPal - at the simplest is their another buyer of the same or similar name etc etc. The whole thing is suspicious.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Paypal is garbage. I have had a similar issue happen w/ an item I sold on eBay. I had a very stubborn buyer who was not knowledgeable about eBay. (Please note that I have 255 feedback w/ 100% positive). They were not happy w/ the item I sent them. It was 100% as described, but they did not like it. They filed a chargeback and paypal was just going to give them their money back. No fight or protection on my end. With the fees that they charge THE SELLER, they should protect the seller somewhat. I always pull my money out of paypal ASAP.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Paypal is garbage. I have had a similar issue happen w/ an item I sold on eBay. I had a very stubborn buyer who was not knowledgeable about eBay. (Please note that I have 255 feedback w/ 100% positive). They were not happy w/ the item I sent them. It was 100% as described, but they did not like it. They filed a chargeback and paypal was just going to give them their money back. No fight or protection on my end. With the fees that they charge THE SELLER, they should protect the seller somewhat. I always pull my money out of paypal ASAP.
I had something similar happen with a "stain" on madras. The lady didn't believe me when I told her that it is in the nature of madras to have colors that aren't symmetrical and in neat lines and shapes.

·
Registered
449 Posts
That cannot have happened as reported. You might wish to investigate further.
I am the buyer. It happened exactly as he has stated. You should know the facts prior to making a comment such as that. PP has told me that they are investigating 20 of my last transactions due to the fact that they feel a "3rd party compromised my account." I advised them that the last 20 transactions were in fact legitimate transactions and that I was either the buyer or seller in all of them. I am not contesting anything at all on my end...nothing. This has all been brought on by Paypal. It is a royal pain in the arse. Once this matter has been resolved I am finished with them.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
If I had a deal on a brand new pair of Alden Shell Cordovan long wings and they cost $3.00 but I had to use PayPal,.....I'd pass on the shoes.

Think of yourself as lucky. I've know of some really hard luck stories from PayPal users.

Bill Woodward
Portland, Oregon

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I personally have never experienced any problems when using paypal. But, in this instance, it sounds like this was neither the buyer nor the seller's fault (which makes me a little leery of paypal).

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I am the buyer. It happened exactly as he has stated. You should know the facts prior to making a comment such as that. PP has told me that they are investigating 20 of my last transactions due to the fact that they feel a "3rd party compromised my account." I advised them that the last 20 transactions were in fact legitimate transactions and that I was either the buyer or seller in all of them. I am not contesting anything at all on my end...nothing. This has all been brought on by Paypal. It is a royal pain in the arse. Once this matter has been resolved I am finished with them.
The lesson I've drawn from this is, it pays to slow down. We don't, usually, need something right this minute. We can usually use snail mail and wait for the check to clear before shipping. In short, we don't need PayPal. I've been on this from the buyer's side and been forced to go through PP's dispute resolution process, which is a crock. That's why I always use a credit or debit card so that I can get a quick, painless chargeback if something goes sideways, because PP won't protect you. Now that I've seen the other side, I appreciate more where rebel222 is coming from--when PP takes its percentage from you, better service should be your right. PP is raking millions of dollars from the public's incessant demand to point-and-click impulsively and get it right now, and we, collectively, are getting what we pay for.

This said, I'd like to publicly apologize to pentheos and magnumpi. I've been tardy in shipping your goods, but will do so post haste. If there's a saving grace, I'm not profiting a dime from the transactions. I appreciate your patience. To the gentleman who points out that the trousers didn't match the jacket, I truly wasn't aware. I never tried on or measured the garment and instead went by the size tag. I've PM'd you, but get in touch with an address so I can send a check. This is the first I've heard of this, and I'm glad to give you a refund--I don't do this for a living, and money isn't the object. I would PP funds, but, unfortunately, my account doesn't work anymore. When I last spoke to them, they said they would report me to a collection agency unless I gave them the money that crescentcityconnection paid me. If I was a crook, that would be one thing, but being treated like one when you've acted in good faith really sucks.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I've never been a fan of PayPal. They bend you over backwards and offer little to nothing in return. God forbid you try to get someone on the phone, what an ordeal that is.

Sadly, there are few other options out there. Not many people are willing to wait for a check to clear, etc. They do want their merchandise yesterday.

My m.o. with them is to take the $$ out immediately, and never, ever leave more than a cent with them.

Criminals.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Yes it's true, Paypal will not go out on a limb for a seller. They are generally a very un-accommodating company. STILL, I use paypal all the time and have never had a problem, and my feeling is that that the extreme convenience of using paypal is worth any potential problem. If I were to have more than 1 or 2 problems, then I might stop using it...or at least think twice.

If someone really has 15 transactions disputed unbeknownst to them...OBVIOUSLY their account has been compromised and further action must be taken with that understanding.

This is probably not really trad forum material...shall we just let this thread fade away now?

Danny

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Please accept my apologies. You are correct and I was wrong.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ebay and PayPal transactions aren't always the smoothest, for a variety of reasons. However, I've completed around 300 transactions over the past 10+ years (I'm not a 'professional' eBay dealer) and I've had only one problem, when a buyer failed to pay for an item. Fortunately, I had not yet shipped.

Usually, the buyer and seller can work out the problem without PayPal's intervention, but I've even had good luck when PP got involved.

YMMV.

(I'm not affiliated with either company.)

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Maybe he wasn't happy with your merchandise. Maybe he bought a 48r Brooks Brothers suit from you and it came with size 34 pants. Of course when that happened to me I just threw the suit away and cursed the sellers name. Just a thought.
Judging by the posts I have read on AAAC and Styleforum I have come to believe that a 14 inch drop is about average.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I have not had occasion to use Pay Pal in about eight years and when I did I never had any problems. I always used them as a buyer.

About eight years ago I was thinking of selling a line of items on Ebay and read some forums that sellers used and at that time there were a lot of horror stories about Pay Pal and sellers. I have no idea if that is still common or not. It sounds like it may be.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hmmmm... this information could have been very useful to the seller prior to the transaction. Just a thought for your future transactions using paypal :icon_smile_wink:.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I think paypal has changed in the last 6-12 months

I've used paypal with no issues for years.

However, several of my last transactions--sales of items over ebay--have proven unsatisfactory. They held my money (several hundred dollars) for 3 weeks because I shipped the goods to a buyer in Japan. My son, who has done a ton of business over ebay with 100% satisfaction, has also been treated badly. Paypal holds funds hostage apparently for no other reason that the fact that THEY CAN and there's nothing you can do about it. They are earning a lot of interest on the money that passes through their system.

But, what 'cha gonna do?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.