Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm reading a new book by William Gibson called Pattern Recognition.

The main character is actually allergic to some designer logos! I won't give anything away, but there's some interesting insight on mass marketing and fashion.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Good book. Very involving, and one of the better post-9/11 novels I've read. If you like it, and if you haven't read them already, do go back and read Neuromancer, and Gibson's other work.

"He took a duck in the face at two-hundred fifty knots."

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I'll have to get that, after I've re read 1984. Not that I'm paranoid, just curious about how we in the west are manipulated by the media and corporations.
A lifetime or so ago, I worked in the fields of media and social psychology. All I can say is this -- it's not paranoia if it's true.

(If you are interested in non-fiction, Jacques Ellul's Propagnda is a bit dated, but still one of the best overviews of the subject.)

·
Registered
399 Posts
A lifetime or so ago, I worked in the fields of media and social psychology. All I can say is this -- it's not paranoia if it's true.

(If you are interested in non-fiction, Jacques Ellul's Propagnda is a bit dated, but still one of the best overviews of the subject.)
I'll add that to my reading list. I quite agree on it not being paranoia if it's true.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Being a big Gibson fan I have read both. If you want a take on similar subject matter that's bit different and some what comic while retaining that cyberpunk edge try Charles Stross 'Halting State'. Highly recommended.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.