Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing a Baroni Sport Jacket from the Wizard of Aahs. I have purchased Baroni suits from him before and I love them. I want to buy this jacket, but it has patches on the elbows, that I don't necessarily care to have.

Any comments on whether patches are in or out of style? or just neutral?

Has anyone removed patches with success from sport jackets?

Here is the jacket's link - >

I don't mind wearing patches on a sport coats, but I do mind if they are considered out of style. Thanks for any comments.

Leadercrat

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Patches are popular with the British brands this A/W. I was looking for a blazer in October and there were a few that I liked but they had patches, which I do not like.

Hackett have been advertising and showing their patched blazers using young models.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think they are useful if you actually have worn through the elbows. If not, it is a little too fashion conscious for me. It is like the super obviously stereotypical power suit with gecko shirt and striped suit. It goes in and out of fashion and should be avoided by those who seek timeless style when in fashion.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I don't know that patches on jackets have ever been in fashion and if that is correct then they have never been out of fashion. I suggest that you wear them or avoid them according to how they look to you.

The only time I have ever paid any attention to fashion in men's clothing was about 40 years ago when the width of ties changed. Not long after I bought new ties whoever decides these things decided that the proper width for ties had changed yet again and that was when I decided to leave fashion to the ladies and just buy clothing that fit the style that I like.

I would still be happily wearing suits and jackets that I bought many decades ago if they still fit. I occasionally receive complements on my attire, but if I am in fashion, it is only by accident.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I don't know that patches on jackets have ever been in fashion and if that is correct then they have never been out of fashion. I suggest that you wear them or avoid them according to how they look to you.
I agree. I've had a couple of jackets in the past that had them and never gave it a second thought one way or the other. My last such jacket was a well worn corduroy sport coat that I gave to Goodwill a couple of years ago. The corduroy jacket I replaced it with doesn't have patches, but that didn't factor in to my decision to buy it as I would have still bought it even if it did.

Cruiser

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
These look fine, and I don't really consider them an element that can go in or out of style, like a 4 button suit, or an extremely low gorge. I have several sportcoats with elbow patches, including a Brunello Cuccinelli in corduroy that looks fantastic and gets tons of compliments. If you like the coat, buy it. If you would be self-conscious about the patches, don't buy it as you will never wear it. I looked at the link you used, and there is nothing wrong with how the patches pair with that coat at all.

·
Honors Member and King Fop
6,031 Posts
When I think of sports coats with patches, I immediately get an image an old professor!
It was a stereotypical image of an old professor when I was a young fellow 50 years ago, which may tell you something.

That said, that Baroni jacket looks pretty good. I don't think I'd pass on it just because of the elbow patches.

A leather patch on the shoulder (for mounting a gun) seems more affected unless one actually plans to go shooting in said jacket.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I think they are useful if you actually have worn through the elbows.
My practice is otherwise. I prefer to patch prophylactically--I don't want to wait till I've worn the elbows through when paying $15 to have suede patches affixed (this is what Brooks Bros., the maker of my of my tweed jackets, charges) will prevent the problem altogether.

To me elbow patches, like ticket pockets, are an eminently practical feature that I also think happens to look pretty good.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had a blazer with patches on the elbows. One 'nice' thing is that they are sewn onto the outside of the jacket, not actually put into holes. Therefore you could purchase the jacket and have the patches removed. I had this done with my blazer and it now looks great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks so much for the comments - Patches on Jacket

I like the jacket a lot. Based upon the feedback, I believe that if the patches generally go well with the jacket then they are just fine. Yes, the occasionally person might think they are out of style, but I think they will be few and far between. I think the patches look fine on this jacket and so I will feel good about wearing it. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't an overwhelming percentage of folks saying DON'T BUY - WAY OUT OF STYLE! Which isn't the case. I will buy tomorrow.

Thank you again. I appreciate the comments for and against.

Leadercrat

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
My practice is otherwise. I prefer to patch prophylactically--I don't want to wait till I've worn the elbows through.
Like JLibourel above I've worn jackets for over 50 years and I've never had an elbow wear through nor have I ever known anyone who has. What exactly is it that you're doing that would cause that? And why don't you stop it.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't an overwhelming percentage of folks saying DON'T BUY - WAY OUT OF STYLE! Thank you again. I appreciate the comments for and against.

Leadercrat
Dear Leadercrat,

If you're hesitant about buying a coat with patches until you've got the consensus of a bunch of strangers, are you really sure leadercrat is the best name for you?

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
My sartorial love affair with tweeds would seem to insure the presence of suede patches on the elbows of several of my sport coats. Tweed and suede elbow patches just seem to go together and at the risk of a public pillorying, I must admit, I rather like them, be they necessary or not. Rather sporty, methinks! ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't Just Stand There - Lead!

Dear Leadercrat,

If you're hesitant about buying a coat with patches until you've got the consensus of a bunch of strangers, are you really sure leadercrat is the best name for you?
Dear Peak and Pine,

Touché, I like your humor!

But of course I would take advice from here!!! If you knew my lack of judgment when it comes to clothing, you would take several strangers advice from AAAC any day.

I'm also afraid you may have missed the play on words. When I joined this forum, Andy didn't. I'm simply making fun of myself. Leadercrat = Leader/Bureaucrat. So in essence, I'm not much of a leader at all. Sort of like, every elected official we have in Washington.

Signed,

Office of the Leadercrat-Elect

Please direct any further questions/comments to my White House Press Secretary - Elect. If they can't help you, contact Congress for no further assistance.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Dear Peak and Pine,

Touché, I like your humor!
You may be the only one here who does. Thank you. Alan C., a moderator, came close to blowing me away a couple of nights ago when he got all twisted up about a few comments I made about the High Holy (that would be trad).

Welcome to the Forum. You'll grow to like Cruiser and me. Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
nice jacket but elbow patches are a bit ludicrous -- they were for when men wore their jackets to the point that the elbows wore, ie a bit bohemian, but now just an affectation. typically, they can be removed easily by a tailor. can you describe the fit on the baroni suits you had previously bought a little more fully?
tks,

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
nice jacket but elbow patches are a bit ludicrous -- they were for when men wore their jackets to the point that the elbows wore, ie a bit bohemian, but now just an affectation.
I'm sure that I'm not the only person here who tends to be hard on the elbows of my jackets. When I worked full time I always removed my jacket during the day and all I wore out were the elbows of my shirts as I propped them on my desk all day. My jackets stayed pristine for the most part.

Now I'm retired working part-time and only spend about 12 hours a week in the office; however, I have taken to leaving my jacket on while working, once again with my elbows usually propped up on my desk. It's been less than three years since I started doing this and I can already see evidence of the wear on the elbows of my tweed jackets. It would seem to me that putting patches on the sleeves of otherwise perfectly good jackets is preferable to buying new jackets, especially since patches tend to go hand in hand with tweed.

I see nothing bohemian about the sleeves wearing on the jacket. Now my boss might tell you that if I was doing more work rather than sitting there with my elbows propped up on my desk I wouldn't have this problem, but that's another issue. And I certainly see nothing in the way of an affectation in something that is actually functional. There are plenty of other well accepted things about men's clothing that would come closer to meeting this definition than would elbow patches.

Cruiser

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.