Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just got a new job with a stricter dress code. I usually stick with blazer, dress/polo shirt and jeans but there are no jeans allowed at this company, so I need some pants to go with the blazer.

I am going to the thrift store to grab some new pants tomorrow and was wondering on some colors that would be strongest. I definitely am gonna go for brown, but I'm very cautious of gray because of the security guard uniform. I know it's a no-no for navy/black pants with a navy blazer so that's out.

Also, I don't want too much of a "modern" look, in other words, I really dislike the whole super bright red or green pants with the blazer, even though everything goes with navy. I am keeping it more business oriented and the bright, springy colors just don't look good on me.

Thanks a lot for your time!

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
All shades of grey. You may find charcoal most commonly available but I prefer a light grey. Second choice would be a medium grey.

So, you don't want to look like a security guard? Be sure to own some classic loafers. (Look for some Allen Edmonds Patriots or Alden lesure hand-sewns.) Select any one of a number of shades of brown or ox-blood for the loafers,....

And, khakis are a natural with a navy blazer.

I will let others chime in with more suggestions

Welcome aboard and best regards,

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You made a wise choice by joining.

You need the help.

First off, Grey wool trousers and a navy blazer are like peanut butter and jelly, ham and eggs, tea and toast. Classic, always correct, just stick to medium or light grey and you’re set.

Beige, tan, medium brown, olive, houndstooth, glen plaid, checks, all work.

For cotton, rust, white, off white, Nantucket Red, chinos in Khaki, tan, British Khaki, light blue, or olive work without being in the “ out there” colors. But if you want bold, then the bottle green, Kelly green, red, would be fine, just not at work.

Cords, don’t forget cords, or moleskin.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
In winter I wear light to medium-dark grey woollen flannel trousers and tan cavalry twill with my navy blazer. The key to not looking like a security guard is wearing quality clothes and a good fit. Also avoid white shirts with the blazer, since that's a security guard look. Wear a pale blue or blue striped shirt for the most conservative choices, or lilac or pink for something more fun but still classic. Grey flannel trousers will help set you from security guards, who wear worsted/poly blends.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perfect stuff guys, enlightened me quite a bit.

I know that gray+navy blazer isn't automatically security guard, I'm just cautious because I don't know what specifically it is that makes that look, but like a poster above said, it's mostly just the fit/fabric.

As for my shoes, I have a pair of Allen Edmonds Wilberts in Brown which I really love, in terms of comfort and look. I have the matching belt and dress watch, so I assume this is kosher for most applications? I have heard people on Styleforum complain about gray pants with brown shoes... I have a black pair as well, Johnston & Murphy brogues, I just so much prefer brown in general.

In regards to Matt S, is a white shirt really security guard? I feel that it's so standard for a casual blazer look, or are you just referring to the white shirt with the navy+gray ensemble?

While I'm here... can we talk about ties in this application? Do you have thoughts on ties with the "half suit" thing of a blazer + slacks? I used to do it a lot but then when I started rocking jeans with the blazer, I stopped it with the ties.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Perfect stuff guys, enlightened me quite a bit.

I know that gray+navy blazer isn't automatically security guard, I'm just cautious because I don't know what specifically it is that makes that look, but like a poster above said, it's mostly just the fit/fabric.

As for my shoes, I have a pair of Allen Edmonds Wilberts in Brown which I really love, in terms of comfort and look. I have the matching belt and dress watch, so I assume this is kosher for most applications? I have heard people on Styleforum complain about gray pants with brown shoes... I have a black pair as well, Johnston & Murphy brogues, I just so much prefer brown in general.

In regards to Matt S, is a white shirt really security guard? I feel that it's so standard for a casual blazer look, or are you just referring to the white shirt with the navy+gray ensemble?

While I'm here... can we talk about ties in this application? Do you have thoughts on ties with the "half suit" thing of a blazer + slacks? I used to do it a lot but then when I started rocking jeans with the blazer, I stopped it with the ties.
The Allen Edmonds Wilberts may look a bit too casual with a navy blazer. Brogues would look a bit more aligned with the formality of the rest of the outfit. Brown shoes are perfectly fine with grey trousers. It's charcoal trousers that they don't pair as well with. But these days there's a lot of hate for black shoes, which deserve better. Currently it's trendy to pair light brown shoes with everything, which often isn't a good look.

It's the white shirt combined with a navy blazer and grey trousers (and burgundy tie) that will make it look more like a security guard uniform. A light blue shirt (or any other colour) removes any trace of a security guard look. But if you're going to wear a formal white shirt with a blazer, I don't see any trousers other than grey working with it. Other colours of trousers you can pair with a navy blazer aren't as formal as grey, thus they deserve a less formal shirt colour to match.

You have a lot of freedom with ties. I often wear a navy grenadine tie that matches my blazer. Sometime I wear a grey knitted or grenadine tie.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Allen Edmonds Wilberts may look a bit too casual with a navy blazer. Brogues would look a bit more aligned with the formality of the rest of the outfit. Brown shoes are perfectly fine with grey trousers. It's charcoal trousers that they don't pair as well with. But these days there's a lot of hate for black shoes, which deserve better. Currently it's trendy to pair light brown shoes with everything, which often isn't a good look.

It's the white shirt combined with a navy blazer and grey trousers (and burgundy tie) that will make it look more like a security guard uniform. A light blue shirt (or any other colour) removes any trace of a security guard look. But if you're going to wear a formal white shirt with a blazer, I don't see any trousers other than grey working with it. Other colours of trousers you can pair with a navy blazer aren't as formal as grey, thus they deserve a less formal shirt colour to match.

You have a lot of freedom with ties. I often wear a navy grenadine tie that matches my blazer. Sometime I wear a grey knitted or grenadine tie.
Ah, I see. Good insight.

I'm still gonna be wearing my Wilberts as my main shoe, as I think they look fine and I love them but that is definitely something to consider, I've never considered that they look informal.

This isn't french cuffs, contrast collar, power suit level formal, the dress code just requires dress shirts and trousers, the blazer is my add because I prefer a jacket, I can't really see how the Wilberts wouldn't fit. Perhaps if I threw a tie in the ensemble it would be inappropriate on some level?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Hi, I just got a new job with a stricter dress code. I usually stick with blazer, dress/polo shirt and jeans but there are no jeans allowed at this company, so I need some pants to go with the blazer.

I am going to the thrift store to grab some new pants tomorrow and was wondering on some colors that would be strongest. I definitely am gonna go for brown, but I'm very cautious of gray because of the security guard uniform. I know it's a no-no for navy/black pants with a navy blazer so that's out.

Also, I don't want too much of a "modern" look, in other words, I really dislike the whole super bright red or green pants with the blazer, even though everything goes with navy. I am keeping it more business oriented and the bright, springy colors just don't look good on me.

Thanks a lot for your time!
I'm heartened to hear that there are still some companies out there that have stricter dress codes or at least one out here. You've been given good advise so far so I won't add any. Stay tuned to the forum and you will gain a wealth of knowledge. Welcome and good luck with your new job.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Ah, I see. Good insight.

I'm still gonna be wearing my Wilberts as my main shoe, as I think they look fine and I love them but that is definitely something to consider, I've never considered that they look informal.

This isn't french cuffs, contrast collar, power suit level formal, the dress code just requires dress shirts and trousers, the blazer is my add because I prefer a jacket, I can't really see how the Wilberts wouldn't fit. Perhaps if I threw a tie in the ensemble it would be inappropriate on some level?
Your brown Wilberts will be fine with a pair of Khakis,.......But not one of the two shades of brown they are offered in. In a pinch you could get by with some Wiberts if they are black.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Welcome to AAAC. As to the concerns voiced in your OP, many good suggestions have been offered by members in the posts before this one. However, I will presume to add just to a few details. I can certainly understand your attachment to your AE Wilberts...a couple pair presently reside in my closet, but they are a casual/work shoe design and not a casual dress shoe. It is a stretch to wear them with a coat and tie. As for your concerns regarding looking like a security guard, there are worse things in life you could be concerned about, but as long as you avoid wearing black PTB shoe designs and wear a nicely designed emblematic tie with your navy blazer/grey trouser rig, no one will conclude you to be a security guard! Enough said...again, welcome to the forum. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OP check out my post in today's WAYWT thread. No security guard here.
Looking good! DB jacket looks badass.

Welcome to AAAC. As to the concerns voiced in your OP, many good suggestions have been offered by members in the posts before this one. However, I will presume to add just to a few details. I can certainly understand your attachment to your AE Wilberts...a couple pair presently reside in my closet, but they are a casual/work shoe design and not a casual dress shoe. It is a stretch to wear them with a coat and tie. As for your concerns regarding looking like a security guard, there are worse things in life you could be concerned about, but as long as you avoid wearing black PTB shoe designs and wear a nicely designed emblematic tie with your navy blazer/grey trouser rig, no one will conclude you to be a security guard! Enough said...again, welcome to the forum. ;)
Ah, I see. So, with just a dress shirt and no tie, I presume they're okay?

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's time to move on from the navy blazer or sports coat paired with khaki or gray trousers. Yes, the combination makes one look like either a security guard or a Schramsberg salesman in a third tier market. There are lots of other color combinations to choose from.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
It's time to move on from the navy blazer or sports coat paired with khaki or gray trousers. Yes, the combination makes one look like either a security guard or a Schramsberg salesman in a third tier market. There are lots of other color combinations to choose from.
What else works well and is just as balanced and not flashy?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.