Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
13,646 Posts
White or ivory/off white are both good bets.
My choice would be khaki or light tan hued trousers, to be paired with that jacket.
Both very good recommendations. Khaki (if you mean a darker tan as "khaki" has a lot of definitions) is the one that requires the most skilled "eye" to make sure the shade and tones work, but when they do, it's a very good look.

Second point: I had know idea (and am not sure I understand why / how) J.Crew sold through Nordstrom. Has that been going on a long time? Does J.Crew also sell through other department stores? J.Crew always felt to me like a "closed system:" buy in its stores or on its website - something else I was clearly wrong about.

· Registered
1,049 Posts
It's a sport coat, so you just need something that offers contrast. The prior posters have given you the two ways to do that vis-a-vis light blue: with something white or white-adjacent or with something dark.

British tan---your standard "khaki"---is probably not your best bet here. Nor would I try to use another light blue: that would be the definition of clashing. (Case in point: the trousers on the bag-carrying fellow in London380's photo look great; his tie is wrong, though.)

White, stone, natural linen, etc., on the other hand, would go well. For a bit more visual pop, a bright darker color, like the red or blue seen in London380's photos would work; the blue needn't be jeans, of course. You probably could do a wide variety of shades of yellow, also, if you want to wear yellow pants.

· Registered
2,865 Posts
I have a light blue cashmere sportcoat that I wear with navy wool trousers.

Following the traditional, quasi-scientific methods - something that's NOT blue in the same value of the coat works (like the Nantucket Red slacks in the one picture), or something sufficiently darker blue, or the white/cream color suggested above.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Second point: I had know idea (and am not sure I understand why / how) J.Crew sold through Nordstrom. Has that been going on a long time? Does J.Crew also sell through other department stores? J.Crew always felt to me like a "closed system:" buy in its stores or on its website - something else I was clearly wrong about.[/QUOTE]

I do not know when Nordstrom started selling J. Crew.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a sport coat, so you just need something that offers contrast. The prior posters have given you the two ways to do that vis-a-vis light blue: with something white or white-adjacent or with something dark.

British tan---your standard "khaki"---is probably not your best bet here. Nor would I try to use another light blue: that would be the definition of clashing. (Case in point: the trousers on the bag-carrying fellow in London380's photo look great; his tie is wrong, though.)

White, stone, natural linen, etc., on the other hand, would go well. For a bit more visual pop, a bright darker color, like the red or blue seen in London380's photos would work; the blue needn't be jeans, of course. You probably could do a wide variety of shades of yellow, also, if you want to wear yellow pants.
Thanks. But as I said in my original post, I am thinking about business casual. Certain colors, such as yellow, may not be appropriate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.