Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have to wear black tie next month for work, and am considering what I need to do update my outfit.

The "Palm Beach" suit, "Brooks" shirt, and "Brooks" cummerbund are hand-me-downs from my father. The cuff-link/stud set belonged to my grandfather. The bow-tie and shoes are from Perlis.

The label in the jacket says "Palm Beach". I could't find anything about it online, partly because it's a difficult term to search for. Any of you know anythign about this brand?

The other labels in it are an American union label and a size: 38L.

I think the jacket sleeves might be fine if the shirt sleeves were a little longer. The pocket flaps tuck in. I should tuck them in, right?

The buttons are kind of textured plastic. The single front button matches the sleeve buttons (two on each sleeve).

Sleeve Button, plus my Grandfather's cluff-link.

Shirt is BB 16/33. I think a 16/34 would fit perfectly. I like the wide pleats. which unfortunately you can't see to well in these pictures.

Cummerbund.

The trousers bunch a little. I think I'll have them taken up a little. They should have a slight break, right?

And I'll get some new shoes. Do you guys have suggestions? Ideally I'd like something that I could wear with a dressy suit also.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
By "taken in a little" I hope you mean "taken up a little." The trousers might be a little long, but they don't appear to be too loose. Are you wearing braces? That could help a bit, allowing the trousers to hang more naturally.

Oh, and clean up your room:icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Yes, you do need longer sleeves on your shirt.....

I think Palm Beach is still around. there was a post about Palm Beach a few weeks ago. Try searching for it. It gave the latest on the brand, which was never all that good. But you can't look a gift horse in the mouth. If you want a pair of shoes you can wear with other suits, get an A-E plain cap toe and put a high shine on it. Don't get any brouging or wing-tip on the shoe. I saw a guy the other day wearing a tuxedo with a monk strap with a brass buckle. I cringed.

Don't forget the small things: wear a pocket square. I like to wear a scarlet silk pocket square to bring a little color into the black tie outfit. Also, wear non-ribbed silk hose. And get yourself braces. No tuxedo is complete without braces. Arthur Thurston has several on their site.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Great excuse to buy a pair of AE Park Aves

A purist would certainly have a few niggles (flap pocket, uncovered buttons) but it's way better than your typical modern rental options.
The bow tie looks a tad wide to me, but it may well be proportional with the lapels.
And please drop the word 'tux' from your vocabulary. Say black tie, dinner jacket, or tuxedo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'll second the idea of Allen Edmonds Park Avenue Black-cap toe bal. Give it a good shine, and it will also be your go to shoes for job interview, and when you get a job.

Some say you need a white pocket square and black braces. Those are fine, but pick something you like, that you can wear with other suits. Now if your folks will spring for a black gator braces, then by all means.....get black:icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
416 Posts
You can pay $300, or more, for some patent leather opera pumps, or patent leather lace ups.
For example:

or

You can pay $50 for some patent leather lace ups from the nearest military base.
For example:

$90 are slightly closer:

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
You can always switch out the buttons for black horn if you wish. Unless the fabric is very thin, keep the flaps out. I've tried it with vintage, thicker fabrics and it doesn't look right.

As for braces, I wouldn't spend too much on them right now. have some that won't break the bank. The white cord ends are most formal, if I recall correctly.

A pocket square is a good recommendation; formal wear looks positively barren without them. They can be had pretty inexpensively, too. I personally like the look of white linen/cotton in a plain fold, like here:

charlie500 linked an article from Black Tie Guide. I recommend reading it since you'll have a leg up on most other young guys when it comes to dressing well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the feedback. A few questions:

I have a hard time with braces. If they aren't so loose as to flop around and look messy then they seem to just pull my trousers up past my navel till the crotch of the slacks bottoms out (uncomfortable!) so I'm constantly pulling my trousers down. I was under the impression that one need not wear them with black tie.

gtsecc: Do either the second or third shoes you posted feature the "clunky leather soles" people here complain about?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Jazzer,
I just did quick google of military patent leather lace ups to get some pictures to give you the idea. I had a friend in the military take me on base and we went to the uniform shop. They had a few different models, and I found one I liked and bought them. They are not an absolute perfect match to the ones made by Brooks Brothers, but the BB shoes cost $348, and mine cost $65. I think it is a great cost saver that a lot of folks don't know about. Check out what folks are wearing at the next formal even you attend. I bet you will see a large number of folks are wearing their regular business shoes, like a black tassel or cap toe.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Check out some of the antique stores in the French Quarter on DeCatur near Barracks St. Also might want to check out Funky Monkey on Magazine, they might have some second hand patent leather shoes or at least know where you might look.

If you call Keezer's in Cambridge MA. I know they have both used patent leather and factory seconds that they may be able to ship down. They also have some nice, skinnier, bow ties, even some Brooks Brothers batwings which are harder and harder to find. Their number: 617/547-2455.

https://www.keezers.com/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.