Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for an sneaker to go with chinos and printed t-shirts that I sometimes have to wear to work. Since it is a sneaker, would a derby be more appropriate and look better for a casual shoe? On the other hand, will the oxford make it dressier or more versatile? These are the two from AE that I am considering. Which would you recommend?

Footwear Brown Shoe Walking shoe Outdoor shoe
Footwear Brown Shoe Outdoor shoe Walking shoe

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I think the Oxford is more versatile and more formal. It’s not as much the derby construction as the prominent laces that make it very casual.

The derbies look like Chuck Taylor All Stars, which calls to my mind people who are too fashionable for their own good.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Absolutely a troll post, fellas. A derby or an oxford? This is actually one of the more clever ones. Kinda funny.
Umm....

The Allen Edmonds site calls these derby and oxford sneakers. The OP, troll or not , called them as the manufacturer does.

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/mens-shoes/sneakers/

And it's a legitimate question if you Work in some sort of community marketing where you are on your feet for hours and have an assigned uniform.

Go with the "oxford" .

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Umm....

The Allen Edmonds site calls these derby and oxford sneakers. The OP, troll or not , called them as the manufacturer does.

And it's a legitimate question if you Work in some sort of community marketing where you are on your feet for hours and have an assigned uniform.

Go with the "oxford" .
Well, I'll be darned. I was skeptical that the pictured sneakers were really even sold by AE. In that case, maybe it's AE that is trolling us.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Umm....

Go with the "oxford" .
If AE called them balmoral boots it wouldn't make the use of the term any less preposterous.

And, no - it's not a legitimate (or to be fair, a remotely informed) question. There is no printed t-shirt that will look more or less out of place with either pair of sneakers. Really. For heavens sake already.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I work in education so sometimes they often like for us to wear school t-shirts with nice pants. I don't think loafers go with t-shirts so I'm down to sneakers. I would like to get a nice looking pair. However, I've worn my bulky new balance low tops with chinos or kakis, and it just doesn't look right.

I also need to wear custom orthotics so the thought of wearing the AE's which make room for them appealed to me.

As far as "Oxford" or "Derby" sneakers go, I must admit I am uninformed and not clever enough to be a troll on here.

However, what made me think about the difference is that I've learned that an oxford "closed lacing" is better suited for a black lace up dress shoe such as the Park Avenue because this style "closed lacing" is more formal and that a derby "open lacing" would not be the best choice for the dressiest or most formal shoe. At least that is what I think I learned. That got me wondering whether an oxford style shoe jives with a casual sneaker. I must admit that before I knew the difference between a closed laced and an open laced shoe, I would have never noticed such differences.

On the other hand, if by chance a closed laced sneaker works well and is a little dressier than an open laced sneaker, than that would be something I would desire.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.