Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I found this forum and knew any better, I made the mistake of buying an online MTM overcoat. While the coat fits okay, my beef is it is too light. It is a 15oz fabric. Now that I work in an urban area and have to walk more outside, I'm just cold too often. Today is 30 degrees with a light wind and it was bearable with my sport coat and overcoat. Any colder or windier and walking more than a block or two is unpleasant.

While my current coat will work okay for fall/spring, I need something heavier. I work for a conservative accounting firm, so I think an overcoat/topcoat is the way to go, even if I rarely wear a suit (I always wear a sport coat).

I'd appreciate thoughts on weight - is 18oz too light or should I shoot for 20-22oz? Wind is probably worse to me than air temp, so maybe a thicker weave is better than just outright weight? I'll admit a British Warm is appealing, as I'm a sucker for the whole "military heritage" bit. Buy that weight may be too much.

Also, recommendations on where to buy? I don't relish spending $1,000-$1,2000 but I will if I have to. I do want something that I can wear till I die (hopefully 40-50 more years ). I've browsed BB and O'Connells. If I tough it out, can I snag a deal post-Christmas or later in the winter?

Many thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
One of many choices out there. This one comes with a zip out lining for extra warmth when needed. No mention of the weight, but an email will solve that.

Product Sleeve Collar Font Dress shirt

Without liner and saving some bucks.

Product Coat Sleeve Font Collar

For maximum warmth, nothing beats a DB coat. Getting pricey. They were about 20% less on Black Friday. Frankly were I using your parameters, with wind protection as my most important function, this bad boy would win. The Oconnell's above would be a toss up, but if I was to have only one, I'd be going navy or charcoal.

Outerwear Photograph White Light Product

Now if price were no object, and I wanted tan.

Product Sleeve Coat Collar Font

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of many choices out there. This one comes with a zip out lining for extra warmth when needed. No mention of the weight, but an email will solve that.

View attachment 19211

Without liner and saving some bucks.

View attachment 19212

For maximum warmth, nothing beats a DB coat. Getting pricey. They were about 20% less on Black Friday. Frankly were I using your parameters, with wind protection as my most important function, this bad boy would win. The Oconnell's above would be a toss up, but if I was to have only one, I'd be going navy or charcoal.

View attachment 19213

Now if price were no object, and I wanted tan.

View attachment 19214
I have to admit that King Coat is absolutely dashing. I also agree on the navy/charcoal; the pause for me on the British Warm was the color.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
15 oz is a sports coat weight. 18 oz is also a traditional sports coat weight! There have been some good recommendations already. I have a British warm that I wear a lot in the cold weather, and I love the heavy weight. Weight is a big help with the wind.

18 oz is for a lightweight topcoat, and that's not appropriate for 30 degrees. That's more like what most people I see are wearing today, and they look too cold! That's for more like autumn/spring. 22 oz is the minimum you'll want for this weather, but 28 oz might be better if you're spending some time outside.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
15 oz is a sports coat weight. 18 oz is also a traditional sports coat weight! There have been some good recommendations already. I have a British warm that I wear a lot in the cold weather, and I love the heavy weight. Weight is a big help with the wind.

18 oz is for a lightweight topcoat, and that's not appropriate for 30 degrees. That's more like what most people I see are wearing today, and they look too cold! That's for more like autumn/spring. 22 oz is the minimum you'll want for this weather, but 28 oz might be better if you're spending some time outside.
Interesting that several of the overcoats on O'Connell's site are 19oz and they call those "heavy weight."

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now this is out of my budget and your budget OP....but still something to dream about! An alpaca greatcoat!

https://www.oconnellsclothing.com/O...ve-Tan-Whipcord-front-Full-Alpaca-Lining.html

24 oz on the outside, lined with alpaca fur.

"Full protection from wind, rain, and cold (-20°)." according to them.

aaand it's $2400!
I did see that and thought that would be a nice coat. Then I saw the price and just kept on browsing.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Light colors are more visible when crossing streets in the dark. Old eyes don't see as well as young eyes. Whoever is driving the vehicle you definitely want them to see you when crossing the streets or driveways.

Is loosely spun yarn warmer than tight? Does the methods of weave create trapped air (insulation)?

Another option is felting. Melton is one method out of several.

That alpaca coat above is nice.

Pea Coats are great if you are climbing steep stairs and climbing ladders, like on a ship.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ve been reading several old threads on the forum on the subject of overcoats. Since I am wearing a sport coat/trouser without a tie 98% of the time, is an overcoat too “formal” in the sense that it may look out of place with that level of dress? If I want to wear an overcoat with dark jeans, would a DB coat like the Kings Coat or British Warm work? Or would something like the Loden coat momsdoc posted or a car coat be better for both trousers and jeans? At this point my budget only allows for one nice coat purchase.

·
Registered
450 Posts
One thing to consider about the double breasters is that you pretty much need to wear them buttoned. It’s a lot of material to hang loose. With my single breasted overcoats I often wear them unbuttoned. Double breasted is arguably more formal as well.

If it was me I would get a full length single breasted overcoat in Navy. Charcoal would be second choice. Camel can be nice as well but for me personally not the best choice as a primary overcoat. It could well suit you though.

Take a long look at eBay.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I've been reading several old threads on the forum on the subject of overcoats. Since I am wearing a sport coat/trouser without a tie 98% of the time, is an overcoat too "formal" in the sense that it may look out of place with that level of dress? If I want to wear an overcoat with dark jeans, would a DB coat like the Kings Coat or British Warm work? Or would something like the Loden coat momsdoc posted or a car coat be better for both trousers and jeans? At this point my budget only allows for one nice coat purchase.

A step down in formality is certainly the duffel coat. I recently found a great one in England at a shop named the Highland Shop across the street from the British Museum in London. I think I paid $225 (US) shipped, and it is as heavy if not moreso than the Gloverall that I ve had in the past. Sizing is correct to suit US suit sizing.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have this one:
https://www.oconnellsclothing.com/O-Connell-s-Wool-Topcoat-Navy.html

It is usually included in the 20% winter sale that starts mid January. It is very well made, id call it a "mid weight" coat. Its much lighter than my Gloverall duffles. I like this topcoat but it is cut extremely large. The label says made in Canada and I believe this is made by Cohen.

If you're curious about OC's offerings, pick up the phone. They are incredibly helpful and will answer whatever questions you might have.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have this one:
https://www.oconnellsclothing.com/O-Connell-s-Wool-Topcoat-Navy.html

It is usually included in the 20% winter sale that starts mid January. It is very well made, id call it a "mid weight" coat. Its much lighter than my Gloverall duffles. I like this topcoat but it is cut extremely large. The label says made in Canada and I believe this is made by Cohen.

If you're curious about OC's offerings, pick up the phone. They are incredibly helpful and will answer whatever questions you might have.
I called them yesterday and the guy seemed to want me off the phone. I think he had someone in store he wanted to help. I may call back tomorrow and have another chat.

Thanks for info!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I called them yesterday and the guy seemed to want me off the phone. I think he had someone in store he wanted to help. I may call back tomorrow and have another chat.

Thanks for info!

I wanted to say I did call back and the gentleman I spoke with was extremely helpful. Didn't want to leave it with a negative comment.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I do have a question for the forum. O’Connell’s has a tweed Chesterfield overcoat. My staple trousers and sport coats are your standard worsted wool. Would a tweed overcoat clash if worn with worsted wool? Should I stick with a standard wool overcoat?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.