Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at an overcoat on eBay. The item is tagged medium; normally I would measure it against a well fitting coat; but I don't own an overcoat; so I'm wondering if this would fit a 39/40s?

Chest 46", waist 44", sleeves 25.75", shoulders 19" (measured across the upper back), length 41"

Thanks.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think it will be too large. Normally add 4" to your normal chest size for an overcoat if you intend to wear it over a suit/jacket.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Normally add 4" to your normal chest size for an overcoat if you intend to wear it over a suit/jacket.
Does this mean that a size 44 jacket would need a coat whose chest measures 50"? (A size 44 measuring to c.48, and so the measured size of the overcoat being 48 plus 4?) I assume so, but thought I'd check!

And, if so (i.e., a 44 coat should measure 50), I take it that a coat measuring 50 would be tagged a 44?

Thanks!

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I wear a 39-40 chest size jacket, depending on brand, and a medium usually is a perfect fit for me. I just bought a raincoat today that is a medium and it fit really well over a jacket. Most overcoats are sized to fit over a jacket, meaning that you don't need to go up a size.

Cruiser

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Living in the South, we don't have much use for overcoats. But the one that I've bought I had to size down as well. I wear a 48 coat but I sized down to a 46 for my overcoat.

·
Registered
280 Posts
That's funny because I have experienced the opposite. I size up my overcoat. Granted, I own only one so it may just be the manufacturer, but I wear a 44L coat and my overcoat is a 46L.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I'm a 44L and have tried on overcoats recently from a 42L to a 48R that all fit. Depends on the maker, cut and how fitted you want it. Even with Burberry they don't use consistent sizing.

Also remember that Ebay measurements can be way off, as can yours ;)

-spence

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Depends on how you wear your suits.

Also the thickness of the overcoat cloth.

Suits are generally two to four inches larger than your chest size. And the overcoat fits over that.

So six inches larger than your own chest size does not sound too bad.

This week, for example, I am selling a Paul Stuart heavyweight polo coat that is sized 42 but has a chest measure of 51.

If you rarely wear a suit under your overcoat, however, size down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.