Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some light and medium grey suits I'd like to wear in the winter (I'm not against these colours being worn in the winter), but I find neither option looks good when worn with my darker grey overcoats.

It seems to me that overcoats look better when they are the same colour or a lighter shade than the suit pants worn with them. Is this true for most people? Should I be trying to find a lighter grey overcoat or a brown overcoat to wear with these suits?

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
You may be overthinking. I only have one khaki colored coat and wear it with everything.

We'll see how the opinions come in, I guess. When I'm outdoors, I worry more about function than fashion as long as what I'm wearing at least resembles a dress overcoat.

That may just be me, however.

I suppose if you can afford the extra overcoats, you are not committing any sort of fashion sin and if you feel better, I would not stop you from buying them (IF you can afford them.) If you are starting out, I can think of more important things to do.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I have some light and medium grey suits I'd like to wear in the winter (I'm not against these colours being worn in the winter), but I find neither option looks good when worn with my darker grey overcoats.
How do they not look good? All that's presumably visible is the below-the-knee portion of the trousers.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess to me it's like pairing light/medium grey pants with black shoes. It seems like a burgundy or brown pair of shoes would work better in that situation. Same thing with the coat. It just seems like there should be a better option than dark grey...but maybe I'm overthinking.

·
Registered
816 Posts
How do they not look good? All that's presumably visible is the below-the-knee portion of the trousers.
That's what I was thinking too.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry all that much about it. I have 2 overcoats to handle the Chicago winters. One is black and the other is khaki. With tan or lighter gray pants, I tend to wear my black overcoat. With darker colored pants (navy or charcoal), I tend to wear my khaki overcoat. However, I wouldn't hesitate to wear any of them with any color of pants.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Have you been drinking ;)

Unless the suit colour is strange, then it may not go well. However, a grey overcoat with navy, grey or black suit would look good.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Charcoal, Navy and Camel

Have one of each and you're always set.

With lighter grey I wear my navy (I agree that the charcoal and light gery just doesn't seem as right). Dark grey suits, I usually wear the Charcoal. Any greens or blues or browns I usually wear the Camel.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I guess to me it's like pairing light/medium grey pants with black shoes. It seems like a burgundy or brown pair of shoes would work better in that situation. Same thing with the coat. It just seems like there should be a better option than dark grey...but maybe I'm overthinking.
I happen to think that gray is the only color that works with black shoes though that's changing the subject.

Gray suits may pair a bit better with blue or dark brown overcoats, but there's nothing wrong with dark gray.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Perfect match, please.

I think that you should buy an overcoat for each suit and pair of trousers, so that you can have a perfect match every time you wear one . . . NOT!

Truly, if you have enough concern about whether your overcoat looks good with what you will be wearing underneath, by all means get another that looks better to you. There's got to be a limit, though, if only running out of closet space:icon_smile_wink:

I've got a dark charcoal wool and a (recently obtained but not yet worn, due to SoCal's uncooperative warmth) camel's hair. That, along with the Burberry and the grayer London Fog and a black trench, should do me, whatever I'm wearing underneath.

Lordy, I hope the Farmer's Almanac is right in predicting a colder winter this year, so I can wear some of this stuff:icon_smile_big:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.