Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Magee's Corrib overcoat, as seen , here, and , for instance. It's a (to me) beautiful Donegal tweed with raglan shoulders, but I can't find much information about it and I'd be grateful for any tips regarding fit, quality, and warmth.

I'm looking for a new overcoat versatile enough to work across most of the range of my I'm-a-writer-so-technically-no-one's-making-me-wear-pants lifestyle. I.e. I would seldom wear it with suits and almost never to an office, but often with odd jackets paired with trousers, cords, and jeans. Sometimes with a sweater rather than a jacket, inevitably. I've been gravitating toward the relative informality of a raglan with the idea that it would work best for this set of applications, but if anyone has other likely suggestions, I'm all ears.

I realize I could probably find even more versatility in something like a plain SB navy, but tweed does good things to my heart, enough that I'm willing to be 20% irrational.

Also, I'm looking for something fairly warm, which is the reason I haven't considered a covert coat even though I like them very much.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I'm sure one of our UK members has, or has tried on one and may respond. Still let me begin the discussion by saying Magee is a well known respected name, the coats are very versatile and, other than with a dressy suit, appropriate with all your proposed use. Most importantly, especially as tweed does good things for your heart, there is nothing irrational about spending 20% more to get an attractive, versatile coat that may well outlast you and find its way to your son's closet.

Welcome to the forum,

Regards,

Alan

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have to concur with arkirshner.
Although I have no experience of the coat you describe, I do have 2 Magee jackets and I can vouch for their fit and quality and I can see no reason why their overcoats should be any different.
Yes, they may not be the cheapest options, but in my opinion, they do offer excellent value for money.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Well it is a proper overcoat. I have a raglan sleeve herringbone but it is a Crombie not Magee.

Thickness of the cloth will have a bearing on the warmth but it will be warmer than a covert coat.

£339 including delivery is a reasonable price and better than the other two merchants.

There are plenty of the finest British and Irish overcoats on eBay at very low prices because nowadays most people do not bother with a proper coat.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'm looking for a new overcoat versatile enough to work across most of the range of my...lifestyle. I.e. I would seldom wear it with suits and almost never to an office, but often with odd jackets paired with trousers, cords, and jeans. Sometimes with a sweater rather than a jacket, inevitably. I've been gravitating toward the relative informality of a raglan with the idea that it would work best for this set of applications, but if anyone has other likely suggestions, I'm all ears.
I have never worn a Magee overcoat but have one of their sports jackets - it's excellent.

The coat you mention will be good and warm and will suit your lifestyle (as indicated by the clothes you would wear with it) admirably - better than a plain SB navy which is more formal, and better than a covert-coat which would be considerably less warm. Good luck with it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.