Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering purchasing some Marcoliani socks. I have always purchased mid-calf socks because I have large calves, and OTC socks generally don't fit over them.

Will I have better luck with Marcoliani socks? Or should I just stick to mid-calf Marcolianis?

Thanks!

·
Tech and Business Advice Guru
6,643 Posts
Try the 2503L Pure Wool dress sock. As a fellow "large-calv-er", I can attest to the fact that it has the best stretch qualities of all of its brethren from Marcoliani and the other better houses. It is also significantly longer (19"+ as compared to Pantherella's 17") which puts the tighter "elastic" top closer to the knee and away from the wider part of the calf.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Collusion

Try the 2503L Pure Wool dress sock. As a fellow "large-calv-er", I can attest to the fact that it has the best stretch qualities of all of its brethren from Marcoliani and the other better houses. It is also significantly longer (19"+ as compared to Pantherella's 17") which puts the tighter "elastic" top closer to the knee and away from the wider part of the calf.
One wonders whether Aaron has slow pitched one down the middle for mighty Alex's swing.......:devil:

·
Registered
332 Posts
+1 on Marcoliani. I have very large calves and Marcoliani is one of the few brands that reliably fit. I also found them to be more comfortable than Pantherellas (YMMV), which are available at discount on STP.

·
6,643 Posts

·
6,643 Posts
One wonders whether Aaron has slow pitched one down the middle for mighty Alex's swing.......:devil:
Possibly ... but as a person with large calves born, I believe, of a 200-home bicycle newspaper route when such things were the province of youngsters, I was very thankful to discover the 2503L socks and realize that there actually were working veins and arteries in my lower legs. What I wore for years before was Pantherella's best wool dress sock, the 6225 in size 12. By the end of the day on the drive home I would always lower the socks to below my calves. I (literally) felt Aaron's pain.

But slow, straight pitches are always welcome. :icon_smile:

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I (literally) felt Aaron's pain.
Don't ya hate it when socks have some kind of insufficiently elastic thread around the very top of the sock, so that it's like trying to put a tourniquet around your calf? I'm generally pretty good at identifying socks that have this flaw, but,every once in a while, I accidentally buy these. Thick casual socks from Ralph Lauren always seemed to be bad offenders in this regard.

My feet are 10.5 EEEs (in Allen Edmonds). I remember the first thing my new roommate asked me in my freshman year of college: Why aren't you on the football team? He was surprised that I'd never played in my life.

·
6,643 Posts
Well, that was fast. I received my socks today. I honestly had no idea that socks could be so ... nice.

I'll report back on how they fit.

Thanks for the great service!
Thank you, Aaron. We normally ship everything on the same day the order comes in as long as it is reasonably prior to our UPS pickup. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I'm reminded of the line from Down With Love - "Good God, Catch, how long does a man's hose have to be?" :icon_smile:

How well do these wear for someone with large calves and a size 13 shoe?

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Don't ya hate it when socks have some kind of insufficiently elastic thread around the very top of the sock, so that it's like trying to put a tourniquet around your calf? I'm generally pretty good at identifying socks that have this flaw, but,every once in a while, I accidentally buy these. Thick casual socks from Ralph Lauren always seemed to be bad offenders in this regard.
I've never had much trouble with the style of Ralph Lauren casual socks I've bought, but I switched to Pantherella because they're much nicer and they make a heathered brown that matches the peculiar taupey-olive that Brooks Brothers uses for chinos.

Not only have I removed socks to reveal a bright red ring from the elastic, but I have gotten hair follicles irritated, resulting in small painful zits that are scrubbed raw by the end of the day. Ack!

It might be TMI, but I have almost no hair on my legs from about three inches above my ankle down - hair growth is impeded by tight socks.

·
6,643 Posts
I'm reminded of the line from Down With Love - "Good God, Catch, how long does a man's hose have to be?" :icon_smile:

How well do these wear for someone with large calves and a size 13 shoe?
Having worn Pantherella's best wool, the 6225, for decades, I can only say that the 2503's were enlightening. Depending upon which shoemaker measures my foot, it is either an 11.5EEE or an 11.5FF. So I am certain they can expand in width sufficiently to go around a small city. Clients tell me they are fine for size 12E, but I don't personally know of a client who is a 13.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wore my new socks to a mid-afternoon dinner today.

As I started putting them on, I just couldn't believe how nice they were.

I got them over my foot and started coaxing them up over my calves. It looked like I'd finally found the perfect pair of socks.

They were a little tight around my calves, but not uncomfortable. It was probably just because I wasn't used to wearing OTC socks.

The problem was that they weren't long enough to get over my calves. So, although I got them all the way on, they slid down to the height of mid-calf socks by the end of the cocktail hour.

I also picked up a pair of mid-calf Marcolianis. I'll wear them this week and see how they go. I suspect I'll be ordering quite a few of them.

I'll probably end up passing the OTCs off to someone who can wear them.

I'm really disappointed because everything else about these socks was fantastic. The color (plum) was even better than the picture made them out to be.

·
6,643 Posts
I wore my new socks to a mid-afternoon dinner today.

As I started putting them on, I just couldn't believe how nice they were.

I got them over my foot and started coaxing them up over my calves. It looked like I'd finally found the perfect pair of socks.

They were a little tight around my calves, but not uncomfortable. It was probably just because I wasn't used to wearing OTC socks.

The problem was that they weren't long enough to get over my calves. So, although I got them all the way on, they slid down to the height of mid-calf socks by the end of the cocktail hour.

I also picked up a pair of mid-calf Marcolianis. I'll wear them this week and see how they go. I suspect I'll be ordering quite a few of them.

I'll probably end up passing the OTCs off to someone who can wear them.

I'm really disappointed because everything else about these socks was fantastic. The color (plum) was even better than the picture made them out to be.
That's ridiculous. If they don't work, pass them off to a friend and we'll replace them with something which does work! Please tell me the distance (inches) from the floor to the bottom of your kneecap.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think my calves are a lot bigger around than yours. I measured, and the diameter was twenty inches. I think the problem is that they are being stretched laterally to fit around my calf, which reduces the effective height of the sock. It's 18" from the floor to the bottom of my kneecap, but the sock was (and I haven't actually done any measuring with the socks pulled back up, so this is an estimate) about 3 or 4 inches below the bottom of my kneecap.

·
6,643 Posts
Just to be clear, what is ridiculous is you paying for somthing which doesn't work. My task is to make it work. You're right (I presume you mean circumference, not diameter). Mine are only 18".

Let me look through my ole kit bag in the morning and see if there are any rabbits left in the hat. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
You're right (I presume you mean circumference, not diameter). Mine are only 18".

Let me look through my ole kit bag in the morning and see if there are any rabbits left in the hat. :)
Alex, I am resurrecting this thread as it is EXACTLY on point to my issue. My calves are similar to Aaron's (20", actually perhaps 21.5") and the thread ended just when I hoped the solution might appear.

I see on your web site that custom orders are possible to account for my substantial calves, but the quantity of 24 :eek2: is too rich for my blood at this time, given that I am steadily losing weight and don't know how long these will fit.

Are the 2503L's worth a shot? Have you another suggestion? TIA for any help!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.