Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned before I'm looking to swap out some four hole buttons on some items I have with two hole buttons. which way should a column of buttons (whether on a sleeve, the waistcoat, or a jacket closure) have the two holes oriented?

1. all the holes in a column of buttons aligned in a single line

2. turned 90 degrees so you have two parallel lines of holes?

·
Registered
27,492 Posts
I mentioned before I'm looking to swap out some four hole buttons on some items I have with two hole buttons. which way should a column of buttons (whether on a sleeve, the waistcoat, or a jacket closure) have the two holes oriented?

Not to be rude, but is this a trick question? Perhaps I don't understand it. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
It's wearer's choice, a rule or tradition doesn't exist for this. But no matter how tightly you sew one, a button will twist with use, so the initial alignment matters little. This is particularly bothersome on crested buttons, while painstakingly sewing them straight up, they will yaw a little (at least mine have). Incidentally it would seem a two hole button has half the holding strength of a four hole one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The person sewing the button on the jacket usually sews it slightly loosely, then will wrap the thread around all the threads which attach the button to the jacket. Thus it appears to be one thick group of threads attaching the button to the jacket instead of two groups, therefore, in this case, it doesn't matter how you orient the holes. But if the wrap is not done, then, in my opinion, the two holes should be oriented in the same direction as the buttonhole, so that the two groups of threads will not deflect the buttonhole.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts