Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would love some advice on buying a suit from overseas without actually going there (i.e. getting measured up and just sending those measurements overseas to a tailor, and having the tailor ship you the suit).

Looking for tips/things to watch out for when ordering from overseas vs. getting a suit made by a full service tailor in town.

Going this route because I can get a 3 piece suit using a high quality 100% virgin Worsted wool from a European mill for 1/3 the price (plus other items like coats and shirts), so expecting to save thousands doing this over the years.

Thanks all.

· Registered
3,667 Posts
I have been hearing this feedback. Must be true :cry: What has been your experience exactly?
I don’t have direct experience; having seen the disappointing results of the overseas made-to-measure process that have been posted in various menswear forums over the past 15 years, I concluded that such tailoring was best avoided.

Absentee tailoring can work, but only if the tailor, after lots of time-consuming and frustrating trial and error, succeeds in creating a well-fitting garment for you; with your measurements finally dialed in, he can subsequently make decent clothing for you. If, however, you’re expecting a first-time suit to fit you properly, forget it.

Are you good at dealing with headaches? Are you willing to sacrifice hundreds of dollars on a suit that will never fit right? If not, absentee MTM isn’t for you.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At some point I'm going to have to listen to all this feedback, which all seems to he the same haha.

What about getting a suit made in town properly by a good local tailor, and sending that overseas for them to copy?

· Registered
842 Posts
There’s a million different things that can go wrong with online MTM, including misunderstandings with the service provider, errors in measurements, being given an inferior product than what was advertised to name just a few. I’ve even had errors happen with local tailors! It’s amazing how few good tailors are out there now and how many refuse to listen to what you’re asking for.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I feel like getting a suit made in town properly by a good local tailor, and sending that overseas for them to copy, would be a pretty reliable way to ensure a good fit. Anyone know somebody who's done that?

· Registered
3,672 Posts
What's your price point?
One option might be to go with a reputable tailoring business that is established here and can do your measurements, shoulder, posture, body shape analysis, etc in person.
You can choose from swatches of actual fabrics.
The suits are then made by their contracted (or owned) tailoring operations that are often just across the border from Hong Kong.
I'm thinking of tailors such as Hemranjani, who may also do trunk shows in a city near you.
It will likely cost you a bit more than the super cut-rate online guys but will give a much higher probability of getting a well-fitting and high quality product.
I don't know the current prices for a two-piece suit though I suspect it has crept up above $1,000.

· Registered
1,220 Posts
Lets stop and take a step back here. Do you need a mtm suit? What is your sizing like? Are you looking for special fabrics or style details? Most average size men in decent shape can get a good fit in rtw clothing with some alterations.
Have you worn suits often before? Do you plan to wear them often now? Why not go to a few local shops and try on some rtw first. Understand that a 42 regular can fit quite a bit differently between three or four different manufacturers and sometimes even within different lines of the same manufacturer. At the end of the day, there is much to be gained by actually trying something on first. Feel free to take pictures (multiple, from different angles) and post them here for fit advice. We have seen many horror stories on this forum of mail out mtm. Better to spend a little more and get something you know fits right when you pay for it.
Good luck.

Reactions: MattB83

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks got the thoughtful reply Woofa. I think most importantly to answer your questions, (1) I am looking for premium material and construction, which I wouldn't get from rtw in my price range. (2) I'm also looking for particular style details and colours.

Since the mail out mtm seems to be a thing, there must be a way to do it properly and/or specific suitmakers that do it well. Would love to chat with someone who has figured it out/done it successfully.

· Honors Member and King Fop
6,032 Posts
I feel like getting a suit made in town properly by a good local tailor, and sending that overseas for them to copy, would be a pretty reliable way to ensure a good fit. Anyone know somebody who's done that?
Maybe I'm missing something here, but if you can get a properly made suit from a good local tailor, why not just use that guy for your suiting needs? Tailors who can create a good suit from a bolt of cloth of your choosing are to be cherished and supported. They are rare birds in my neck of the woods!

· Premium Member
6,508 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something here, but if you can get a properly made suit from a good local tailor, why not just use that guy for your suiting needs?
Yes, you are missing something, this...
Going this route because I can get a 3 piece suit using a high quality 100% virgin Worsted wool from a European mill for 1/3 the price (plus other items like coats and shirts), so expecting to save thousands doing this over the years.
Not all attempts at saving a buck are pennywise and pound foolish. I admire those who dig around a little before buying anything. And as the original poster has alluded, there are a ton of offshore tailoring houses offering long distance fits and still in business after many years, so they all can't be scam artists.

· Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,156 Posts
Having the suit made overseas works if you have the firm's boss measure you here. Many of us on this site have been very pleased by our purchases from what used to be called MyTailor.com and is now Divij Bespoke. The Hamrajani's have pleasing customers for decades. I have another jacket and trousers coming from them in about a month. Divij tours a couple of times each year taking orders and measurements. I believe he gets to Canada.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you @Peak and Pine.

@Oldsarge thank you as well. I checked out divij.com and sent them an email asking about trunk shows.

Regarding trunk shows/travelling tailors, anyone know a good way to find them other than checking with each tailor individually? Like Ticketmaster for trunk shows? Lol. I tried Googling but didn't come up with much...

· Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,156 Posts
Thank you @Peak and Pine.

@Oldsarge thank you as well. I checked out divij.com and sent them an email asking about trunk shows.

Regarding trunk shows/travelling tailors, anyone know a good way to find them other than checking with each tailor individually? Like Ticketmaster for trunk shows? Lol. I tried Googling but didn't come up with much...
Sadly,I do not. The only reason I know about Divij is that I used to live about 20 minutes away from their HQ and could go visit them directly. I believe it was Andy who referred me to them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts