Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally pulled the trigger on the navy blue suit that I have been after. Went into The Hound in San Francisco and got a MTO Samuelsohn. It turned out to to be a lot of fun. Everybody in the store was extremely helpful and Walt, who I mainly worked with, was great. He answered all of my (probably dumb) questions and explained everything quite clearly. He also let me know when something I was describing wasn't going to look very good but definitely tried to help me figure out exactly what I wanted and made it happen. It was really a great experience.

Looking forward to seeing how the suit turns out in several weeks and plan to post pictures when I get it back. However, based on my first impressions I hope to purchase a lot of suits from The Hound in the future. It's always fun to deal with the owners of a small shop rather than a large store like NM or BB. They seem a little more invested in how the suit comes out.

Oh and I picked up some Bills Khackis while I was there. Great looking pants also.

Anyways, thanks for all the help leading up to my purchase (especially Perry). And if anybody out there is in need of a suit in the Bay Area I highly recommend that they check out The Hound.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I am glad it worked out for you.

I have just booked my summer vacation (coming to the SF cold country in late June from Hades Hot Az) at the Westin St Francis and will be seeing them at that time.

Perry

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am glad it worked out for you.

I have just booked my summer vacation (coming to the SF cold country in late June from Hades Hot Az) at the Westin St Francis and will be seeing them at that time.

Perry
Excellent, if I was going to be in town I would have to buy you a coffee or something to say thanks for the advice. I'll be in NYC and Houston all summer though. I was actually just down in you neck of the woods last week rafting the Salt River in Globe, AZ and then spent a day in Scottsdale.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I noticed you said you got a "MTO." I have heard that Sammy does indeed offer both MTO and MTM. In your experience how much more comprehensive is the MTM when compared to the MTO?

Was the MTO simply a matter of picking silhouettes in stock sizes or did they measure for half sizes and basic adjustments like jacket length?

I've asked this question here before with mixed answers - I'm curious as to what your experience was. Mind divulging price?

·
Registered
816 Posts
I noticed you said you got a "MTO." I have heard that Sammy does indeed offer both MTO and MTM. In your experience how much more comprehensive is the MTM when compared to the MTO?

Was the MTO simply a matter of picking silhouettes in stock sizes or did they measure for half sizes and basic adjustments like jacket length?

I've asked this question here before with mixed answers - I'm curious as to what your experience was. Mind divulging price?
I'm curious too. I have a good idea of what MTO for a shirt entails, but would like to get a more detailed explanation from someone who actually went through the process with a suit.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Sure, I would be happy to explain the process. Went in and tried on a variety of different jackets to get the shoulder and high arm hole that I liked. However, on the jacket that I liked the most the body wasn't exactly what I was after. Therefore, tried on more jackets and found one with the body that I liked the most. They then are going to make the jacket with the shoulders and arm holes of the first jacket I tried on and then use the body of the second jacket. This way I was able to get all of the features that I liked the most.

Then I tried on a variety of pants in different fits and picked the one I liked the most. I actually ordered two pairs of trousers, one flat front with side adjusters and one flat front with belt loops. These will be made up in my size.

Next, we went over and picked the fabrics. I picked a really soft Navy in Super 110s that I liked quite a bit. They had a wide array of fabrics to choose from. Then I picked out the inside lining of the jacket and I picked out a nice soft cream color. Finally, I get my name monogrammed on the inside of the jacket.

In the end I was able to pick out a suit that was perfect for me. 2 button Navy Blue, Side Vents, Flat Front Trousers with side adjusters, and a slimmer fit. Also, I was able to get more of the British looking suit that I was after. Walt definitely helped me figure out what would look nice as I would have been really lost without his help.

So know they don't extensively measure you for a MTO suit like they do for a MTM. They play with the stock sizes and mix and match to come up with a great fit and exactly what you are after. Worked really well for me.

I don't mind sharing the price. The price of the suit was $1170 and then the extra pair of trousers brought it up to around $1500. I feel like I got a great deal not only for the product that I will receive but the service was great as well. I really felt like I was dealing with people who knew what they were talking about and that has not always been my experience at other stores.

Hope that is helpful and I apologize for my longwinded answer.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Wow, I believe my last MTO from Samuelsohn was $1200 and that was when the RTW was $870 at retail.

I am under the impression that the RTW is about $1200 now. The Hound does often do a 20% off sale on mainline goods. They must have extended that to you also.

Perry

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, I believe my last MTO from Samuelsohn was $1200 and that was when the RTW was $870 at retail.

I am under the impression that the RTW is about $1200 now. The Hound does often do a 20% off sale on mainline goods. They must have extended that to you also.

Perry
Yes, the actual cost of the suit was 1300 but there was a 10% discount bringing it down to 1170. Same discount applied to the extra pair of trousers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.