Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does orange go well with a charcoal suit and if so which pocketsquare shown below do you like with the pictured tie assuming you do not hate the tie and the pocketsquares altogether - comments appreciated - thank you. Let me note that I am not really enamored with the pocketsquares but they were handy as examples but I do like the tie.

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Personal opinions on your question . . .

Depending on the pattern (if any) of the charcoal grey suit, you could certainly wear the tie shown. Were it me, I'd wear it against a blue shirt - nothing too dark, but a conventional shade of light blue or a lighter shade of French blue would be fine. I think that a solid dark grey suit might be marginally better with this tie, but not so much that one could not wear the tie with a pinstriped suit - like much in the world of sartorial splendour, context is everything.

I am less taken with the two selected pocket squares - much less taken, in fact. Were the suit a solid grey, and I had to make a choice, I'd take the darker pocket square shown on the right in your original posting, but I'd personally would be equally happy with a conventional white handkerchief in its place.

However, that's strictly my personal opinion.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
If you live in Tennessee you could wear that tie with just about anything. :icon_smile_big:

I'm not a pocket square guy; however, if I was I don't think either of those would be in my drawer.

Cruiser

·
Registered
379 Posts
That strict personal opinion of upr_crust is pretty much identical to my strict personal opinion.

To recap, the orange can go quite well with varied shades of gray. Not a huge fan of either square, although if I had to choose I would say the one on the left.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm not a pocket square guy; however, if I was I don't think either of those would be in my drawer.
Pocket square guy or not, I think everyone agrees that a PS adds a touch of class, elegance, and flavor to whatever you're wearing irrespective of whether one decides a PS is not for him in the course of his normal attire (but even then - there should still be times to wear one).

Getting to the Q at hand however, I always say that gray is hard not to match to and I think that tie is fine. UpperC's remarks work for me too regarding the tie. Of the 2 hanks pictures, I prefer the one on the left. Something to keep in mind for people like Cruiser (ie those who don't sport PSs), the whole PS is not visible when it's in one's pocket. The wearer has the ability to choose what part of it to showcase and I think that the one on the left can be very nice, but I think another color would be best. Perhaps some sort of green.

Cordovan

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'm not going to touch the pocket square issue. I don't wear them, but do agree that there are times when they can be great.
That being said, I think orange would look great with a charcoal suit. Tie or shirt, for that matter.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Pocket square guy or not, I think everyone agrees that a PS adds a touch of class, elegance, and flavor to whatever you're wearing irrespective of whether one decides a PS is not for him in the course of his normal attire (but even then - there should still be times to wear one).
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I don't have any pocket squares or that I haven't been known to wear one on occasion. I'm just saying that I don't routinely wear one.

Cruiser

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,683 Posts
The orange tie would look nice, but I don't think I would go for orange in the square, too. Maybe you could pick up a color from the shirt (which in most cases should probably not be orange.)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Love the tie (I'm an Hermes fan, as the name may indicate), and I think it would go great with a charcoal suit. However, I wouldn't pair it with an orange PS of a different shade unless you're really confident in what you're doing. I'd probably choose a white shirt (assuming this is for business wear) and this PS:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Love the tie (I'm an Hermes fan, as the name may indicate), and I think it would go great with a charcoal suit. However, I wouldn't pair it with an orange PS of a different shade unless you're really confident in what you're doing. I'd probably choose a white shirt (assuming this is for business wear) and this PS:
I'm in luck as I own that very pocketsquare.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Personally would not put royal colored blues with charcoals.
I had considered that, and decided I would either tv-fold it over the center (near the H), or poof it in the same area, or fold it into four points with the corners, which are also lighter in color. I see your concern, but there are areas of white and light blue which I think would compliment the orange nicely.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
You were not hoping for some "shock factor" with that post I take it?
I'm not sure what one would find shocking about what I said. Orange is an extremely popular color in Tennessee. There is even a small company in Tennessee owned by an orthopedic surgeon marketing ties very similar to that one and they are a good seller to University of Tennessee fans.

As for the pocket squares, like some others I don't particularly care for either of those choices.

I fail to see what anyone would consider shocking about either of those things. You're comment makes no sense to me. ???????

Cruiser

·
Registered
456 Posts
Orange is one of the greatest and underutilized colours in men's clothing. Orange and charcoal go together like perogies and bacon, Astaire and Rogers and me and Crown Royal.

Oh, and I like the pocket square on the right actually, though I don't know if I'd do both the tie and the pocket square. Something I'd actually have to see together in order to judge.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Yes, orange and charcoal is a great combination. A bit of very light blue in the shirt - fantastic.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes, orange and charcoal is a great combination. A bit of very light blue in the shirt - fantastic.
I agree completely. I have several orange ties, and I have found that the number of compliments I get from women when I wear them far exceeds any other piece of clothing I own. It is uncanny. Women dig orange ties.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Not at all uncanny. They like loud and exuberant things. What's uncanny is that you dig them as much as women do.

(not to say though that they don't match)

Cordovan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.