Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago, my husband was stationed in Korea (he's an active-duty Army officer) and had a navy blazer made for him that was a copy of one from the Brooks Brothers catalog that I sent him. I told him to choose subdued buttons as in "not shiny" and he ended up choosing dark blue ones over the protests of the tailor, LOL.

Well, he's lost one of the sleeve buttons and we're looking at replacing all of them for a more classic look. I've looked at the offerings at Ben Silver, and they're lovely, but we don't want to spend that much money on buttons. However we noticed that they offered an American Eagle blazer button, which made my husband suggest just buying like he has on his dress blues (regular army).

Would this work? Look okay? All the navy blazers I've seen have had plain buttons, so I'm a bit hesitant, though I do think it would be a nice personal touch.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Those are cool looking buttons. Definitely in the right direction from blue buttons. The tailor probably objected because the blazer would look like an orphaned suit jacket. It has been suggested here to replace blazer buttons with plain buttons because of the dislike of the designer logo on them. I think you are right that the buttons you linked would be a personal touch. And I would bet most people you meet would think its cool too. I don't know what the expert traditionalists here would say. There may be some rule about not having Army buttons when the tradition is nautical symbols like an anchor.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Try .

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Hello Mrs C,

From my British (if that helps:icon_smile_wink: ) and ex-military perspective I can tell you that many chaps over here have shiny (brass or silver) buttons on their blazers. And quite often they are buttons representing their service.

Personally I have had both, I had a blue blazer years ago, with brass regimental buttons on it i.e. the proper raised regimental uniform buttons, not flat blazer replicas. However that blazer is too small for me
now, so my wife uses it.

I currently have a blue blazer with dark blue buttons. I think both look fine.

But to answer your question I think those buttons representing your hubby's service would look splendid on a blue blazer. And something to be proud of wearing.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
There may be some rule about not having Army buttons when the tradition is nautical symbols like an anchor.
I don't know what the tradition is in the US, but in the UK one puts one's regimental buttons on or simply retains the buttons that the maker attached. Nothing at all wrong with replacing buttons with a set that represent your former or active service, not in the UK anyway.

I've seen enough veterans in person on Remembrance Sunday, marching and otherwise, to know that many (if indeed not most) put regimental buttons on their blazers along with a regimental badge on the breast pocket.

An old, old neighbour of ours when I was a kid, back in the 60s/70s was very proud of the Gloucestshire Regiment buttons on his blazer. He was a career soldier and of such an age that he'd served with them prior to and throughout the First World War, and had also been a boy soldier during the Boer War.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Ben Silver too much

Young lady,

Regarding Ben Silver. The cost is way, way too much. The maker to Ben Silver is online as well. Very, very inexpensive.
Benson and Clegg is Ben Silver sister store in England, will be a bit more as well.
I recommend the maker that does Ben Silver buttons.
I am retired military as well.
I agree with the forum, the USA is not going to stand out. Actually, this is what you want in a way.
And looks very nice on a Navy Blue blazer as well.
Also, can do another button, and he can wear minature pins on jacket label.Thus, getting more use in the jacket.
Anyway, soon as I get the maker to buttons, will get back

Nice day

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, everyone, for your replies and encouragement.

Tonight we rummaged through the "extra military stuff" box, and found a few orphaned buttons. We held them up to the blazer, and they do look good! :icon_smile:

We'll be ordering the new buttons tomorrow!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Thank you, everyone, for your replies and encouragement.

Tonight we rummaged through the "extra military stuff" box, and found a few orphaned buttons. We held them up to the blazer, and they do look good! :icon_smile:

We'll be ordering the new buttons tomorrow!
WHOA!

Size matters.

The buttonhole on the blazer made to accomodate a relatively thin button may not accomodate a thicker brass uniform button of the same diameter. Suggest you try the uniform buttons you have for passage. If you do not have the same size as the ones you may be ordering, visit Wal-Mart for a card of cheap brass buttons of similar style in the same diameter and try one of those for passage. (Wal-Mart buttons aren't necessarily low quality. A couple of years ago I saw some brass buttons with the underside stamped "Waterbury" www.waterburybutton.com inexpensively priced at Wal-Mart) Waterbury is probably the maker ot the Army buttons you're considering.

·
Registered
151 Posts
10 years ago, I was in NYC visiting with a friend on the NYPD. I liked the buttons on his uniform blouse, so we went to his uniform supply and I picked up a set for my old blazer. They look great on it, something people pick up on and ask about.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.