Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm open to suggestions--would a white shirt with thin blue stripes appropriate for morning wear, or with a stroller; or is a solid color more correct/preferred?

I plan to wear a turn-down detachable collar. The waistcoat is gray.

Just want to see if I can wear something beyond a white or a light blue tunic shirt. I can, of course, but does it "fit," so to speak?

Thanks!

·
Registered
27,640 Posts
I have consulted my archive, and have only found one example (Below.) of a stripped shirt being worn with a stroller. The overwhelming majority were either white, or a colored body with white collar and cuffs.

My rapidly failing mind has a dim image of Charles at Ascot in a medium grey morning suit wearing a shirt with light blue stripes and a white collar.

Trousers Outerwear Shoe Photograph Hat

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oof, I didn't even consider that the colored shirt should have white cuffs. I don't have such a item, unfortunately.

I did find a number of images from the past decade of the Prince of Wales in a gray morning suit wearing striped shirts, as you mentioned.

·
Registered
27,640 Posts
Oof, I didn't even consider that the colored shirt should have white cuffs. I don't have such a item, unfortunately.

I did find a number of images from the past decade of the Prince of Wales in a gray morning suit wearing striped shirts, as you mentioned.
Never too late. Should you have a shirtmaker, they could run one up for you. When I had the service of one I had endless fun inventing variations to wear with business attire. Along with blue shirts with white collars I prized those with a pale yellow/champagne colored body and white collars. A very subtle variation that tended to harmonize well almost everything.

Another favorite was a shirt I had made up of fabric with a closely spaced red hairline that read as a solid subtly different from pink. light red rather than pink, also made with white collar and cuffs. Wore it to a wedding party at St. Paul's Princeton University Chapel and was complimented by the groom's father.

Options galore! Stroller kit bellow -
Sleeve Collar T-shirt Font Art

·
Registered
8,440 Posts

White cuffs are not necessary, only the white collar is. While it's common to have white cuffs with a white collar, I have seen a number of examples that have striped/coloured cuffs. I used to have such a shirt.

Any shirt that's appropriate for morning dress is appropriate with black lounge (stroller).

·
Registered
27,640 Posts
White cuffs are not necessary, only the white collar is. While it's common to have white cuffs with a white collar, I have seen a number of examples that have striped/coloured cuffs. I used to have such a shirt.

Any shirt that's appropriate for morning dress is appropriate with black lounge (stroller).
+1! (y)

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
At first I thought the stroller being referenced was a pram (baby optional)! I had no idea a black lounge suit worn in the daytime was called a stroller in the US. LOL,One lives and learns. The same thing appears to be called a Stresemann in continental Europe!

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
At first I thought the stroller being referenced was a pram (baby optional)! I had no idea a black lounge suit worn in the daytime was called a stroller in the US. LOL,One lives and learns. The same thing appears to be called a Stresemann in continental Europe!
It's not a black lounge suit, but a black lounge jacket (often with peaked lapels) that's paired with a certain style of striped or checked morning dress trousers.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
It's not a black lounge suit, but a black lounge jacket (often with peaked lapels) that's paired with a certain style of striped or checked morning dress trousers.
I know, but I thought the ensemble was collectively called black lounge suit in the UK. Perhaps it is a sort of "parallel synecdoche" where a part is perhaps extended to depict the whole?

Black jackets and grey/black striped trousers were also a kind of semi-official uniform for civil servants in Whitehall. Maybe that is related to this sort of outfit.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
I know, but I thought the ensemble was collectively called black lounge suit in the UK. Perhaps it is a sort of "parallel synecdoche" where a part is perhaps extended to depict the whole?

Black jackets and grey/black striped trousers were also a kind of semi-official uniform for civil servants in Whitehall. Maybe that is related to this sort of outfit.
I was under the impression it was only called 'black lounge' without the 'suit'. This is the first I've seen 'suit' attached to it.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I was under the impression it was only called 'black lounge' without the 'suit'. This is the first I've seen 'suit' attached to it.
These sorts of variations in names exist. A dinner jacket in the UK (and in Commonwealth countries) stands for the entire ensemble one wears with black tie - sometimes it is called a dinner suit. In the US it is a tuxedo, of course, after the first appearance of the shorter jacket as part of a dinner ensemble at a Club in Tuxedo Park, NY -- or so the story goes. I think the story about the Duke of Windsor having his famed tailor Frederick Scholte cut off the tails on a tailcoat and make it into a modern version is probably true.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts