Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in picking up a pair of a pair of boots for cooler weather, and I don't have anywhere near the $$ to go with an EG/C&J pair. I'm also partial to something laceup in style but don't really like most chukkas.

I noticed these Peal boots on the Brooks Brothers website. I'm not sure how I feel about them - specifically the metal eyelets and the overall shape. I'm interested in any opinions...any opinions or knowledge about these boots?

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCa..._Id=1211517&Parent_Id=305&default_color=Brown

· Senior Moderator<br>Technical Support
2,654 Posts
What are you planning on wearing them with? I don't think that you can dress them up too much -- it's a workboot design that's only been citified a little bit. I wouldn't touch them for $528, but they're likely a pretty good deal at $199 if you're looking for something to wear with jeans or chinos.

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I must admit I'm kind of ambivalent about them. I'm interested in a pair of boots to wear with casual stuff, like corduroys or moleskins, in cooler weather. I don't see myself wearing boots with wool trousers or anything more formal than that.

I'd be interested in any suggestions for a laceup alternative to chukkas..
I may end up waiting til Christmas and picking up the Coniston-equivalent Peals at the BB 40% sale...

· Registered
3,334 Posts
They're having a bit of an identity crisis but they're nice enough I guess for a pair of different casual boots. They look a little short and round on the toe but, for that price, as part of a wider rotation, they might be interesting to have. Especially with a Dainite sole.

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course, each of these are more than twice the $199 for the boots at Brooks Brothers, but I have worn these Alden boots for years and they are my favorite footwear.

Buzz
Thanks for these suggestions. I am also an Alden fan and have looked at both of these boots as well. The cordovan ones you showed me are quite excellent but as you mention, pretty pricey. I think I'll put in a call to Ed at TSM to see what he might have available in seconds...

· Registered
77 Posts
Gorgeous

They are gorgeous boots.
I ordered a pair but they didn't quite fit my own foot -- too narrow.
But I was tempted to keep them anyway because they were so good-looking. Of course I didn't as there are few things more depressing than good-looking shoes which can't be worn because wrong fit.

· Registered
2,396 Posts
I agree with Flanderin and I do like the alden cordovan boot that M6 recommended. I have some boots that are suede and a pair of black calf. I wear them in winter and with jeans only. They are weekend casual. The suede are very soft and comfortable. I do not wear the suede in wet weather. The ones from BB are just not quite right. I would pass even at $200. I found some nice ones at Barneys for around $375

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.