Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering having a MTM suit with perennial fabric from Holland & Sherry. I am looking for a durable fabric to wear all year round. I am tolerante to heat so that is of a lesser concern to me. I intend on wearing it to work once or twice a week. I also want the fabric to be of low maintenance, meaning that it does not collect excessive lint and does not wrinkle easily. Does anyone with experience with this fabric know if it has those qualities? What are the strong and weak points of this fabric?

You can find the information on the fabric at the following link:
The weave that I am interested in looks like the second one (657027 Black & Tan Contrast Fancy 5/8 inch) and the fourth one (657021 French Blue Herringbone 5/8 inch). The color is a light grey with a very pale hue of pink/mauve in it (the fabric is only one color), but the grey is dominante.

Thank you for your opinions and comments.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had several odd trousers made from this bunch around a year ago and am very happy with them. I wear them regularly and they are holding up very well. They have kept their shape, and basically still look brand new. Wrinkling is minimal and I have noticed no pilling or excessive lint. I generally don't iron them at all; I just hang them by the cuffs on trouser clamps and the creases at the back of the knee fall out.

I would use the fabric again.

My only caveat would be that the few worsted flannels in the back of the book don't seem quite as substantial as the rest of the fabrics in the bunch.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
869 Posts
The Perennial bunch has changed recently and imo it's better than it was.
Although hard wearing I always found it a bit coarse but since they've changed to a different mill for that bunch it's actually much softer with a better handle.
So in theory at least you get the best of both worlds with durability and comfort.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I am not a fan. Much prefer Dormeuil's Royal 12 or Lessers 11/12oz for medium weight clear cut worsteds. Both traditional English cloths.

This is because I like a fresh, "finished" worsted and would opt for a flannel if I wanted softness.

W_B
Well who wouldn't prefer a Lesser 11/12oz?
Far better than a Perennial obviously but I think that the reason people consider the Perennial bunch is the price.
It's nearly half the price of a Lesser fabric and this obviously translates up to the price of the garment.
If you want a 12/13oz suit and you can't afford Dormeuil or Lesser, Perennial is probably the next best thing unless you start talking about LBD or Dugdale but I'd rather have the Perennial than those.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Well who wouldn't prefer a Lesser 11/12oz?
Far better than a Perennial obviously but I think that the reason people consider the Perennial bunch is the price.
It's nearly half the price of a Lesser fabric and this obviously translates up to the price of the garment.
If you want a 12/13oz suit and you can't afford Dormeuil or Lesser, Perennial is probably the next best thing unless you start talking about LBD or Dugdale but I'd rather have the Perennial than those.
True. Although it depends on who is buying. Merchant prices can vary greatly between customers. For a less expensive option, I would probabaly choose H E Box. IIRC, they are all woven by Hield Bros.

W_B

·
Vendor
1,738 Posts
The heavier the cloth you can tolerate, the better it will perform. Holland and Sherry and Minnis both have Fresco bunches. They "breathe" and hold their shape well. There is not much pattern selectivity in the heavier Fresco cloth. The 12 ounce Lesser clear worsted - especially the nail head pattern - is great cloth. It will be more costly than the others.
Paul Winston 212 687-0850 ( NYC )
Winston Tailors
www.chipp2.com
www.chipp2.com/blog/
www.chi

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.