Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what folks here think about the topic of studiously unkempt facial hair and business attire. There is obviously all kinds of facial hair - Santa's beard, Don Ameche 'stache, and everything in between. What I am wondering about in particular is the "three days growth" look that seems to persist among men younger than me, in particular how people feel it looks in combination with a suit and tie. I see some well dressed younger professionals in my city but with several days growth - they keep it trimmed at that length, but the trimming is clearly not of the neat and clean variety. I am just curious how folks hear react to that look - I mean, if the suit and tie and shirt etc are all well done, does the wearer's scruff offer a highlighting contrast? or is it hard to make the look work? Not expecting right or wrong answers, just looking for opinions- or insights or observations. Thanks!

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,679 Posts
I guess it depends what the person is in real life. Certainly if you are over 30 and not a TV character, it looks trendy or like you are trying to achieve a "young" effect. Looking like you are trying to "achieve an image" is seldom good.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
I don't care for it. Either be clean shaven or grow a beard (or moustache). To me the "shave every few days" trend just appears contrived or lazy, or perhaps conflicted. But then again, I don't like black suits, square toed shoes, or long black ties with tuxedos -- which makes me the contented contrarian that I am.

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
25,808 Posts
I don't understand it at all. Supposedly it looks sexy but I have yet to meet a woman who finds getting badly abraded by a cheek full of bristles appealing. I think it's one of those things the younger generation got sold by Hollywood. And since we all know Hollywood lies . . . .

·
Registered
177 Posts
Letting my facial hair grow out a bit and spacing out my shaving X number of days is one of the main reasons I've been able to keep my facial skin looking at least 10 years younger.

It's like rotating a suit or a pair of shoes, over the long run they will last longer and appear newer.

Unless I have a date or a speacial event in the middle of the week than I will shave, otherwise I try to shave once every 6 days.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Sarge,

All my italian friends do it and I can tell you they are not short of women! Maybe is something that is more Continental?

I don't understand it at all. Supposedly it looks sexy but I have yet to meet a woman who finds getting badly abraded by a cheek full of bristles appealing. I think it's one of those things the younger generation got sold by Hollywood. And since we all know Hollywood lies . . . .

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
This always seems to come up around this time of year.

I keep my beard trimmed to a #1 Oster Metal (which is about 3-4 days growth length for most men), leaving about 2 inches in width on the cheeks, and cropped to my jawbone on the neck. I wear a suit and tie daily, and keeping the beard neat and the edges trimmed is the most important part to carrying this. I find the 'scruff' look obnoxious and will implore co-workers to shave (even keeping a pack of disposables in my desk for effect).

·
Registered
995 Posts
Letting my facial hair grow out a bit and spacing out my shaving X number of days is one of the main reasons I've been able to keep my facial skin looking at least 10 years younger.

It's like rotating a suit or a pair of shoes, over the long run they will last longer and appear newer.

Unless I have a date or a speacial event in the middle of the week than I will shave, otherwise I try to shave once every 6 days.
I'm having a hard time grasping this, how can not shaving keep your skin looking younger. Shaving is one of the best ways to exfoliate.
From my experience shaving everyday or twice a day is much easier than skipping a few days and shaving; if I try your method I wind up with unhappy skin.

I've had several beard and mustache combinations over the years as well, ranging from 1" to 4", never the couple of days of growth. One day after shaving off a beard I walked into the living room and one of my dogs didn't recognize me till I call out his name. My wife would tell you she is happy that I haven't had a beard in 10 years at this point.

As to what I think of this look? It looks lazy, it's on par with guys that grow beards but shouldn't due to lack of hair.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I'm having a hard time grasping this, how can not shaving keep your skin looking younger. Shaving is one of the best ways to exfoliate.
From my experience shaving everyday or twice a day is much easier than skipping a few days and shaving; if I try your method I wind up with unhappy skin.

I've had several beard and mustache combinations over the years as well, ranging from 1" to 4", never the couple of days of growth. One day after shaving off a beard I walked into the living room and one of my dogs didn't recognize me till I call out his name. My wife would tell you she is happy that I haven't had a beard in 10 years at this point.

As to what I think of this look? It looks lazy, it's on par with guys that grow beards but shouldn't due to lack of hair.
These "permanent-5-o'clock-shadow" wearers strike me as the same guys that, a decade ago, were spending in the triple digits on exfoliating creams and lotions when the metrosexual thing was in, and touting it as "one of the main reasons I've been able to keep my facial skin looking ten years younger."

Personally, I find wet-shaving to be too much fun to go without.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I never said NOT shaving keeps your skin looking younger, I only said spacing out your shaving days and allowing for a few days growth HELPS to keep your skin looking younger.

That is correct, and I agree, shaving is one of the best ways to exfoliate. However one is not supposed to exfoliate any part of their body everyday. Just ask any woman. If you are shaving your face everyday you are exfoliating probably thee most sensitive layer of skin on your body every single day.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am not sure what you do for a living, but many bosses in the corporate world still subscribe to some basic dress code rules, and one is no facial hair at all. Do a close shave every morning, no beard, no mustache, sideburns short. Keep your eye brows, your nose and ear hair trimmed. While your at it, keep your hair (the ones atop your head) short and neat and off your forehead. Any covering of the face with hair, sunglasses, etc. is often seen as an attempt to disguise or hide your honest expressions (i.e. you may seem dishonest). Find a good barber and visit him once per week.

And for God's sake, wear an undershirt, especially if you have dark body hair. If your office has casual dress and you choose to partake in such, leaving your top shirt button unbuttoned, do trim your chest hair so that is is not visible.

I know this seems "old school" but I know for a fact that many good people have been passed over for jobs and promotions because of not having a clean cut business look. I see you are in the northeast where these "rules" are particularly true.

On the other hand if you are in academia, the performing arts, are a small business man, or are old enough or rich enough to be seen as a little eccentric, then grow your hair, wear your bathrobe to work, and go for it.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
25,808 Posts
You didn't really have to resurrect that, you know. It looked stupid then, it looks worse with a suit.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I recall an electric razor called the "Miami Device" designed to keep that Don Johnson look.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.