Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leaving for Europe this weekend, and suddenly found that I don't have a wool topcoat anymore. I just went hunting for one in the stores. My old coat was a knee-length, I prefer those as they clash less with casual wear, but are perfectly appropriate over suits and ties.

My old knee-length was an SB, and had three buttons. That seems to be the standard, every other designer's had three buttons. The exception was a new Burberry I saw at Saks. It had four buttons. The price was the same as the others, but fabric feels slightly better.

So, the question is, does a four-button coat look as gaudy as a four-button suit? Will this coat become really dated-looking in five to ten years, or is the difference too subtle?

Thanks

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
So, the question is, does a four-button coat look as gaudy as a four-button suit? Will this coat become really dated-looking in five to ten years, or is the difference too subtle?
After reading this I had to go look at my overcoat to see how many buttons it had. I didn't know. Clearly if I didn't know how many buttons my own coat has, I haven't been paying much attention to how many buttons are on other men's coats.

I think there is a world of difference between how noticeable something like this is on an overcoat as compared to a suit coat.

Cruiser

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.