Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to a black tie event next week and would like to don my white silk formal scarf.The last time I attended a BT event,I saw two or three people wearing their scarves inside,which I thought was a bit odd.Have any of you ever done it?

· Registered
2,865 Posts
Incidentally, Saks Fifth Avenue is having an incredible sale. At the Atlanta store, they had quite a few white formal shirts - pleated with forward point collar, pleated with wing collar (attached), and one with a pique bib that I thought was trying too hard and not really succeeding with anything.

They also had a backless Robert Talbott white pique single-breasted vest, size Medium.

All of the above are marked down and an extra 50% off. So a $125 shirt would be about $45.

· Registered
147 Posts
According to Emily Post and others, white tie always requires an overcoat, even when warm. Black tie has no such restriction. I'd say a scarf without overcoat is fine outdoors, many do this with suits. The formality of black tie may give this an incongruous look, however. Personally, I'd consider a light overcoat, especially since it will likely be colder when returning from the event than when you left.

pbc

· Registered
2,219 Posts
I have worn a formal scarf many times without an overcoat ....

in the fall when it was too warm for an overcoat, but chilly enough for the scarf. Indoors I removed it and checked it when at a restaurant or an event such as the opera or a ball.

· Registered
7,502 Posts
I'm going to a black tie event next week and would like to don my white silk formal scarf.The last time I attended a BT event,I saw two or three people wearing their scarves inside,which I thought was a bit odd.Have any of you ever done it?
White silk scarf with black tie is a big no no in my book.
But if you must, take it off in the cloakroom.
Anyone wearing one indoors has clearly not understood the difference between outdoor and indoor wear.

As others in other places and in several books and style guides have often said, "white silk scrafs are for Biggles."
And I'd add "and for other RFC pilots"

Note: RFC not RAF ...in other words an affectation from the start of the First World War :icon_smile_wink:

Sorry, but I personally think a white silk scarf with BT is extremely naff and was something that caught on in the 80s in a society too busy watching period dramas. :icon_smile_wink:

· Registered
274 Posts
Sorry, but I personally think a white silk scarf with BT is extremely naff and was something that caught on in the 80s in a society too busy watching period dramas. :icon_smile_wink:
How about a white silk scarf with full dress (white tie), and a black silk scarf --with black and white fringe-- for evening dress (black tie)? Is that all right?

· Registered
7,502 Posts
How about a white silk scarf with full dress (white tie), and a black silk scarf --with black and white fringe-- for evening dress (black tie)? Is that all right?
Yes it is, I forgot to mention that. But I'd even balk at the B & W fringe.

When I wear black tie I wear a black scarf. On the odd occasion when we wore Police No. ones with white gloves (offical funeral duty or royal events for example) we also wore black scarves.

Along with a white silk scarf for full evening dress (white tie) the most formal overcoat is the Chesterfield, preferably in black.

BT being less formal doesn't require such a formal overcoat.

· Registered
1,258 Posts
Are you asking : Would it be OK to wear a scarf indoors if it is black?
If so, the answer is no.
The question comes down to not the color of the scarf but it's presence indoors.

· Registered
274 Posts
Along with a white silk scarf for full evening dress (white tie) the most formal overcoat is the Chesterfield, preferably in black.
Sounds right for today.

In the past, the chesterfield was worn for black tie, while the overcoat pictured below was appropriate for white tie only. Note the satin-faced lapels on the overcoat: they mimic the earlier full dress inverness cape which the overcoat replaced. (For some reason, though, U.S. President Woodrow Wilson wore the white-tie overcoat with morning dress to the Versailles Conference.)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.