Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of curiosity I browsed aftershave on ebay, and was surprised to find a lot of opened bottles being sold. Now, even to me, a devoted thrift shopper, this seemed a bit off.

What do others think?

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Out of curiosity I browsed aftershave on ebay, and was surprised to find a lot of opened bottles being sold. Now, even to me, a devoted thrift shopper, this seemed a bit off.

What do others think?
Wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole!

There could be anything in there...

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I would avoid, you do not know what they have done; for example, used most of the bottle and then filled it up, etc. There may be genuine people who did not like the scent, so are selling the fragrance.

I have purchased tester bottles before (unopened) for 50% off the RRP but never opened.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole!

There could be anything in there...
Eau du toilette, for real. But seriously, there could be anything in those bottles. People are drilling out gold bars and filling them with tungsten nowadays. I could only imagine what they would be filling to fill a bottle with to make a buck, or just for sick kicks.

-Christopher

·
Registered
598 Posts
If you look on the Basenotes site, I think there are perfume/cologne collectors who will buy stuff like that from good sources. Many of the old scents have been reformulated with different ingredients, etc (EU rules ban certain things, for instance) that have watered down the modern scents so earlier, more authentic scents are highly valued.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Probably wouldn't buy one on eBay because of all the crazies on that site, but I have bought and sold aftershaves and colognes on a shaving site.
I have seen this on shaving sites, too, including the most upscale and mature one. While I have never bought an opened product, I offered some, including soaps, that I had tried and not liked, for the cost of shipping, and there were eager takers.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
If you look on the Basenotes site, I think there are perfume/cologne collectors who will buy stuff like that from good sources. Many of the old scents have been reformulated with different ingredients, etc (EU rules ban certain things, for instance) that have watered down the modern scents so earlier, more authentic scents are highly valued.
I regularly participate in splits on Basenotes. For example, I'm very partial to a few of the Tom Ford Private Blends (Tuscan Leather and Noir de Noir specifically). RRP on a 1.7oz (50ml) spray is now at $205 (up from $195 last year), and the 3.4oz (100ml) is $280; it is impossible to find sealed bottles at a discount, and even 98% full 'testers' of 50ml sell for over $150 on the bay. The only real 'discount' comes in when you buy a 250ml flacon, which is priced at $495. Given that I like to change up my scents, keeping at 250ml for myself would go bad before I had the opportunity to use it all. There are a few guys on Basenotes that regularly host splits, in which 5 people get together, commit to the purchase, and one of the five (or the host) will collect a sum of money that includes an atomizer, shipping, etc. and will go buy the bottle, split it, and mail them out. I've done this before and just this past week did it for both of those scents. I have $250 into two 50ml bottles of each scent. Had I done this at a store, it would have cost me $410 plus tax. I saved over $200, and the convenience of them being shipped to me in atomizers that are 10 fold better quality than the factory sprayers.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Would you buy an opened bottle of whisky from a stranger?
As with anything of this sort, there is a lot of trust involved, and most of the senior guys there have built an impeccable reputation.

So, would I buy an opened bottle of whiskey from a 'stranger' under similar circumstances? Absolutely.

Some guys are ok with engaging in commerce like this, others aren't. I've been fortunate enough to have had much success with it over the past 12-13 years, and don't need all of the fingers on one hand to count the times I've been burned; the last time I had a razor go missing after sending to someone (respected) for a cleanup and hone. No contact, couldn't track him down, etc., simply called it a day. 9 months later, it shows up in my mailbox with a sincere, handwritten apology.

Believe in the good in the world, and you will find that which you seek.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
As with anything of this sort, there is a lot of trust involved, and most of the senior guys there have built an impeccable reputation.

i had a razor go missing after sending to someone (respected) for a cleanup and hone. No contact, couldn't track him down, etc., simply called it a day. 9 months later, it shows up in my mailbox with a sincere, handwritten apology.

Believe in the good in the world, and you will find that which you seek.
Twizz: Was the razor guy in Salt Lake City? I had one disappear there with circumstances exactly similar to yours and have about given up . Thanks, Godan

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Twizz: Was the razor guy in Salt Lake City? I had one disappear there with circumstances exactly similar to yours and have about given up . Thanks, Godan
Minnesota is where I sent the razor; I don't recall where he shipped it back to me from.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.