Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all -

New to the forum, and I hope to be able to contribute as many answers as questions.

I was wondering if anyone out there has a good on line resource for suits that tend to lean toward the taller spectrum? My size (depending on the suit) is anywhere from a 50XL to a 52XL. Even at those sizes, the inseam is occasionally a no go as I am a die hard full break guy. I should also add that the phrase "paying retail" is not in my vocabulary with a very few exceptions. :rolleyes:

I have a number of suits from Hickey Freeman,HMS, various Asian Tailors etc. but would love to find a good on line resource as I have found a tailor in my new local that seems to do rather good work.

Any suggestions or help from those in the know will indeed be appreciated.

Cheers...

· Registered
953 Posts
As another member with vertical needs (6'6" 44XL) I can tell you that, unfortunately, there isn't a lot of quality out there anywhere, much less online, that will fit us. When, on rare occasion, I do find something that might fit, it tends to not be in a style I'm looking for.

You'd honestly be much better served by developing a good relationship with a made to measure shop.

Alternatively, both Brooks and Paul Stuart regularly stock extra long sizes; I'd pay attention to when either might be having a sale and then see if they happen to have anything in your size.

Good luck!

· Registered
998 Posts
I'm in the same boat. For me on-line shopping is risky not because I'm just big and tall but the type of weight I have.
My coat size is 54L-56L from weightlifting.
Nobody makes RTW suits for weightlifters with wider shoulders,back, larger arm holes and smaller waist.
I've been to many shops over the years and all of them say, "custom".

David Rickey & Company used to be a men's custom shop in Cosa Mesa that catered to big & tall and pro-athletes.
Several years ago I was fortunate to buy several coats on Ebay made from David Rickey that had belonged to a popular motivational speaker.
Very nice quality with wide enough shoulders small waist and working button holes on all the jackets. One of my favorites is a maroon cashmere tux jacket with a shawl collar.
I also bought a new black tux and several custom shirts by David Rickey from a different seller who acquired them from a big and tall pro-athlete.
Those coats have met my needs but now I'm ready to have some suits made.

I agree it's better to find a shop where you can try things on.
50XL-52XL means something different to different manufacturers as far as fit.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I share all of your pain gentlemen...

I have been pretty fortunate in terms of finding a great tailor down here, so alterations are easy (althoug significant), but as my waist section is 38, never cheap. I was just hoping (praying actually) that there was a hidden gem in terms of "Land of the giants" on line shopping......I'll continue my search and if I ever find a goldmine I'll certainly let everyone know:icon_smile:

· Registered
1,346 Posts
I'm not too tall (6'3) but I have 36 inch arms and usually fit into "large" sized sportswear. Depending on the maker, I may have to get a XL to get more sleeve length. I can get the sides taken in for 8 bucks or so. The problem I run into is finding sweaters that fit, because you can't take in the sides of a sweater, at least not for 8 bucks. I just bought three large tall sized Eddie Bauer half zips online for 29.99 and free shipping. When it comes to nice knitwear, I either have to buy the few brands that make nice sweaters that fit as a regular large, or buy cheaper stuff like Eddie Bauer, LL Bean or Lands End in a large tall.

· Registered
332 Posts
Been there, done that. 6'2", 300+ lbs.

For suits, I go to English-American Tailors in Westminster, MD., which is a factory outlet for Tom James. High quality MTM, not inexpensive, but significantly less than other routes.

I haven't found an inexpensive outlet for quality sweaters and casual clothing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.