Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ordered a MTM suit online?

I thought about it many years ago but the prices were high and the options limited. Now, websites like itailor and Studio Suits almost seem too good to be true, with thousands of "reviews" online from, well, whoever they might have been bought from.

I'd be inclined to avoid any cheap fabrics e.g., wool blends, but part of me wants to enjoy something truly custom where I get to pick the cut and design and how it fits.

Anyone actually tried this and have an opinion?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Don’t order an MTM suit online unless you love disappointment, headaches, and frustration.

By way, ordering a made-to-measure suit gives you the ability to specify fabric and some design features, but it is not the same thing as ordering “something truly custom.”

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Has anyone here ordered a MTM suit online?

I thought about it many years ago but the prices were high and the options limited. Now, websites like itailor and Studio Suits almost seem too good to be true, with thousands of "reviews" online from, well, whoever they might have been bought from.

I'd be inclined to avoid any cheap fabrics e.g., wool blends, but part of me wants to enjoy something truly custom where I get to pick the cut and design and how it fits.

Anyone actually tried this and have an opinion?
Allow me to re-repost an earlier comment of mine:

You should definitely go online, for the following reasons:

1) entertaining follow-up thread entitled "does my suit fit?" where you post photos showing a suit that is too tight, short and narrow and we can all laff at your expense
2) another thread entitled, "can anything be done with this suit?" where you ask the forum if a suit that is too tight short and narrow can be let out, to which the answer will be a resounding "NO!" with more laffs.
3) another thread entitled, "trying to get my money back?" where you have the forum in hysterics as you describe your extended attempt to get a refund from the online supplier of your suit, who is not living up to the prominent guarantee on his website owing to a 1 point disclaimer at the bottom of the order form only visible if you scroll down.
4) a final thread where you give the forum a chance to show off their knowledge when you post a thread "looking for a local recommendation for a tailor".

·
Registered
27,640 Posts
Don't do it. Too many horror stories.
Don't order an MTM suit online unless you love disappointment, headaches, and frustration.

By way, ordering a made-to-measure suit gives you the ability to specify fabric and some design features, but it is not the same thing as ordering "something truly custom."

1) entertaining follow-up thread entitled "does my suit fit?" where you post photos showing a suit that is too tight, short and narrow and we can all laff at your expense
2) another thread entitled, "can anything be done with this suit?" where you ask the forum if a suit that is too tight short and narrow can be let out, to which the answer will be a resounding "NO!" with more laffs.
3) another thread entitled, "trying to get my money back?" where you have the forum in hysterics as you describe your extended attempt to get a refund from the online supplier of your suit, who is not living up to the prominent guarantee on his website owing to a 1 point disclaimer at the bottom of the order form only visible if you scroll down.
4) a final thread where you give the forum a chance to show off their knowledge when you post a thread "looking for a local recommendation for a tailor".
+1!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I have a really great lady who does some alterations to my clothing as needed. I have not had much luck with her unless I can tell her exactly what to do, however.

Interestingly, searching this forum exhaustively, I found precisely zero people who started posts like you suggest, and thousands of reviews suggesting otherwise. I'm not surprised that the people here would scoff at the idea, which is why I asked if anyone had actually done it.

I haven't ordered anything, but I'm still considering it, if I can even choose what I'd want. Somehow I went from never being able to buy anything OTR that is even close to fitting, to virtually limitless options just by me discovering a website.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I have a really great lady who does some alterations to my clothing as needed. I have not had much luck with her unless I can tell her exactly what to do, however.

Interestingly, searching this forum exhaustively, I found precisely zero people who started posts like you suggest, and thousands of reviews suggesting otherwise. I'm not surprised that the people here would scoff at the idea, which is why I asked if anyone had actually done it.

I haven't ordered anything, but I'm still considering it, if I can even choose what I'd want. Somehow I went from never being able to buy anything OTR that is even close to fitting, to virtually limitless options just by me discovering a website.
Here is a search for Indochino, a company that does online MTM.

Online MTM for shirts is pretty good these days. Online MTM for suits is not.

A suit is a very complex 3D garment, as are our bodies.

We don't know what your OTR fitting limitations are, details would be great.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts

There is no shortage of threads found using the search criteria "Suit fit critique" and a fair number of those deal with online orders.

And here are two threads where I merely searched for Indochino

·
Registered
27,640 Posts

Nope, never ordered on-line MTM. But in 13 years here I've literally seen only one or two wearable results out of literally dozens, so it is possible you might get lucky. Stephen's post succinctly describes the steps of the typical narrative; hope - denial - anger - resignation.

Rereading your initial post, it sounds as if this is a want, not a need. Many/most don't wear suits that often. So if you're willing to invest the money for its entertainment value with the remote possibility of a pay off, why not? Will probably cost you less than a trip to Las Vegas.

But no floor show. ;)

Conversely, were I you, and truly wanted a decent suit with the attributes you describe, I'd go to a venerable men's retailer with an active MTM program with a quality maker, and pay what I needed to.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
While not for me, I think that future has already arrived. It's just a matter of how best someone in the market could navigate an online purchase for results that would pass muster with a group like the Forum. I think skilled and experienced tailors are a vanishing breed, an issue affecting both online suit shops as well as traditional bricks and mortar. But at an even earlier stage in suit shopping is having the good fortune to run into a knowledgeable salesperson, which in my own experience has been challenging over the years. In my youth I'll readily admit to taking the opinion of an attractive female sales associate over my then underdeveloped knowledge. I think that situation is worsened with a dearth of people working in retail (the exception maybe being higher-end men's stores). So if you're likely to get just as poor advice in person than online then the value proposition of shopping bricks and mortar drops, and that's before the unlimited fabric choices and opportunities for customization. But ultimately I think the (justified) bias of the Forum against online clothiers is as much a push back against the belief that breathing is an optional exercise when wearing a suit. I remember not too long ago watching an episode of "The Bachelor" (no, I didn't watch the whole episode), when the "host", a very athletic appearing former football player type, was wearing a plaid sorta suit (I had no issue with the fabric) that couldn't have been tighter if it had been spray-painted on. My well-educated daughters who were watching the show thought it extreme as well. Seeing an article in follow up the host, responding to apparently widespread critique, said it was the look he and his bespoke tailor desired, and perhaps it is indeed a sign of these fitness-focused times. Look, we've lived through the era of square-toed shoes and Sansabelt slacks, we'll get through this together. Snuggly, it seems.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While not for me, I think that future has already arrived. It's just a matter of how best someone in the market could navigate an online purchase for results that would pass muster with a group like the Forum.
That's kinda why I made this post. I was hoping that someone had a positive experience where finally, technology connected a good tailor with a consumer. If we haven't reached that point yet, then it'll be interesting what the future holds. I don't think it's a hopeless proposition, we just may not have reached that point yet.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I ordered an MTM from Indochino years ago. It came with the promise that they would reimburse any necessary alterations if I provided a receipt from the tailor.

There were some tweaks necessary, but nothing outrageous, and Indochino was as good as their word on paying for the alterations.

When it was all said and done, the fit was no better than any of my OTR suits that had been properly altered, but it was well worth it to have custom accents like no belt loops, my choice of lining, working jacket sleeve buttons and boutonniere, pick stitching, and a pen pocket.

I'd do it again, but style has changed and I'd probably have to go full custom to get the cut and fit I'd want. Plus, my closet is bulging with clothes, braces, boots, and shoes that will last much longer than I will. Even though I continue to enjoy my various collections, at this point in my life I can't justify the expense of most of my hobbies and I'd rather spend money on experiences than pursuing more possessions.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Wait till Hemrajani is near you, and do it right. Far, far better value in the long run.
While I am in agreement with you it is only fair to point out that the original poster is from Las Cruces, New Mexico.

I don't think Hemrajani goes anywhere close to him,...And being quite familiar with the entire state of New Mexico, I can say that he lives in a relative satorial desert.

Still, I would not advise that his first experience be with an online MTM firm.

By the way the emails that I get form Divij all say that they are now from "Divij Bespoke by Hemrajani." (I believe that it's his new name.)

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
While I am in agreement with you it is only fair to point out that the original poster is from Las Cruces, New Mexico.

I don't think Hemrajani goes anywhere close to him,...And being quite familiar with the entire state of New Mexico, I can say that he lives in a relative satorial desert.

Still, I would not advise that his first experience be with an online MTM firm.

By the way the emails that I get form Divij all say that they are now from "Divij Bespoke by Hemrajani." (I believe that it's his new name.)
I've worked with Divij and have no hesitations recommending him. He learned from a master.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I've worked with Divij and have no hesitations recommending him. He learned from a master.
I too have worked with Divij on 5 suites and 9 sport coats/jackets. I have also worked with Divij's uncle Joe on some suits and sport coats.

Hemrajani is tops. I hope I did not leave you with the impression that Divij is anything less that outstanding.

My only point was, I do not believe that Divij goes to Las Cruces, New Mexico.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Absolutely do not buy an online made to measure suit, ever! Literally every example I’ve seen is nothing short of an absolute disaster! ☹

Personally, I think online made to measure should be abolished.

·
Premium Member
6,173 Posts
Absolutely do not buy an online made to measure suit, ever!
Well there. I like a man who doesn't equivicate.

Personally, I've only had one on-line mtm experience and it too was a disappointment. I attempted to order a dog and specified able to walk upright, because I hate to bend over to pet animals, and they said no-can-do, would I consider a monkey instead. Imagine.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts