Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi--I recently took a pair of pants to the tailor to have the waist taken in. It was probably an inch and a half or two, and it looks like they were taken in all the way down the back seam. I'm very happy about the way the pants fit at the waist now, but I just noticed that one of the pant legs is shorter than the other by nearly half an inch. Now that I've noticed it, it's really bugging me!

Is this something that could have happened during the waist redo? When the waist was too big, the pants dripped down around my ankles so much that I wouldn't have noticed any pre-existing length discrepancy. I bought these pants at Marshall's, so maybe they were just defective in the first place.

What do you tailoring-savvy people think?
Thanks!
LH

·
Registered
14 Posts
It could be one leg is longer then the other, chances are that's probably the case. When altering a waste, it doesn't effect the length of the pants, but of course you're going to be wearing them higher, so I doubt the tailor did anything wrong. When you first bought your pants, were they unfinished at the bottom, and you had to have them hemmed?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Further details

Hi all, thanks for answering. The pants were pre-hemmed, and in fact have cuffs.

The only reason I even considered the possibility that the tailoring caused my leg length mismatch is because it kind of looks like they took the pants apart in the back pretty much down to the crotch and then sewed them back together on a different line (to make them smaller). I just wonder if the two sides were not drawn together evenly when they sewed the back seam together again, which might thus pull the one leg higher.

I'm not a tailor, though--obviously! So I don't know if there's any way this scenario could have happened.

I think it will be pretty easy for someone to get the leg length equal again....I was just wondering if I should go to the same place, or if this problem is a sign of gross tailoring incompetence! :icon_smile:

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
i am sure that imparali is right. that often happens. when a garment is too large or has other problems, it covers still other problems. the alteration that was done has no bearing on the length. when the fit gets better other things appear seemingly out of nowhere.

do this test.
wearing the pant in the most comfortable position, stand on a hard surface floor, feet 6" apart
fold your arms in front. stand straight, dont look down.
have someone measure from the top of the waistband down to the floor on both sides. this will tell you if you have a difference in lengths.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.