Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting married this June to a man who, although many nice things can be said about him, has not ever been considered "fashionable." He does not prioritize his wardrobe, preferring to mix and match solid polo shirts with khaki pants and shorts.

I personally am somewhat more clothing-conscious, but my knowledge is sadly limited to the female wardrobe.

We've chosen a very nice two-piece brown suit for him, but we haven't selected a tie or shirt. Our primary conundrum at this point however is what to do for the wedding party. They, like we, are poor college students and we'd prefer not to make them purchase more than is necessary.

The wedding is going to be casual and somewhat eclectic. It is outdoors on the terrace of a library. The bridesmaids have been asked to wear green, but are not going to match. I'll be wearing bright white with yellow tennis shoes.

Bearing in mind that we're not terribly matchy but we do wish to be coordinated, what would you suggest? We had originally thought of doing khaki slacks and nice green dress shirts and a tie (color to be determined), but if we had boutonnieres, I'm not sure if those look as nice on a dress shirt as compared to a coat. Additionally, the ring bearer (my fiance's little brother) really likes being well dressed and will probably want to wear a three-piece suit, and if he does the groomsmen might look odd in just shirts and slacks. Could we select a coat that would coordinate with khakis and not clash with my fiance's brown suit? Would it be somehow advantageous to ask them to get suits?

I'm really at a loss here. Please help!

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Unless you are committed to the brown suit (brown wouldn't be my first choice for a wedding, but that's just me), why not get him a navy or charcoal suit (navy would be my choice) and put the others in navy blazers with their khaki pants?

Cruiser

·
Registered
282 Posts
Katy, welcome.

I found this forum when looking for ideas about wedding party dress, so I understand your situation.

If the bridesmaids aren't matching but are wearing green, my advice is to ask the groomsmen simply to wear dark suits, perhaps as close as they can get to navy. I think variation looks better than homogeneity in this situation. Maybe match the ties if you like. And ties make a great (although very common) groomsman's gift.

However, if you do go with suits, look at Joseph A Bank for inexpensive suits of tolerable quality. They may give you a bulk discount, too. The groomsmen at my wedding all wore khaki poplin, which we ended up getting for $80 each. Not a bad deal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the quick responses!

Unless you are committed to the brown suit (brown wouldn't be my first choice for a wedding, but that's just me), why not get him a navy or charcoal suit (navy would be my choice) and put the others in navy blazers with their khaki pants?

Cruiser
We're pretty stuck on the brown. We've already purchased the suit and can't afford another.

Would the navy blazers look bad next to brown?

If we went with all dark suits, would I need to worry about putting a man in a navy suit next to a man in a black suit? Or am I worrying about something that isn't actually a problem?

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,684 Posts
Remembering that it's your wedding, so your opinion matters most of all.

I would not have a problem putting someone in a navy suit next to someone in a black suit for this situation. If they don't have suits yet, Cruiser's idea might be lower cost for you.

It might be easier to sell them on a dark (probably not black) suit with the idea that it could be a good suit for interviews re: internships, etc. too and not just a one-time use of the money. But if they are all in dark suits, as long is you (as the bride) don't have a problem, it should look fine.

·
Vendor
327 Posts
The Anderson-Little Wedding

Well you just knew I'd chime in. Oh yes, I LOVE WEDDINGS! If you check out the Anderson-Little facebook page you'll see a great wedding picture on there.

And here's a little secret, depending on how large the wedding party is, I give the groom a HUGE discount on his Blazer. If you have five Groomsmen I give it to the groom for half price and if you have a larger party it comes darn near free for the groom. I prefer to give the discount all to the groom. Usually the newlyweds to be can use the help more than a few bucks here or there for each Groomsman.

So think about AndersonLittle.com for your wedding. It's a great alternative to a black tie rental situation.

Oh, and I handle all weddings myself, personally. So I can assure you I will take it as seriously and pay as much attention to it as you do!

Congratulations!

·
Registered
319 Posts
It sounds like you are planning a very fun wedding fitting of your personalities. If the ladies are only required to wear green, how about asking the men to simply wear a green tie with khakis and allow them them to pick their own shirts?

If you don't mind the splurge, matching navy blazers really would bring it all together even with a nice brown suit for the groom (assuming the gentlemen all wear brown shoes with their ensembles).

The fact that you are wearing yellow tennis shoes with your bright white gown should allow for some creativity for the boys. My only suggestions is to avoid green dress shirts. I just don't see them working well in bulk (in any context) .

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
For a gentleman in the US, the brown solid is about the fifth or sixth suit to get when building a very traditional business wardrobe.

I really would not recommend this as a first or second suit for any gentleman. A navy or charcoal solid would be a much better choice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.