Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
President-Elect Obama was shown in an interview on 60-Minutes tonight. I was surprised to see that he didn't unbutton his jacket when he sat down for the interview.

Isn't a man supposed to do this?

It made me wonder a bit... I tend to think that everything politicians do is staged, contrived, planned, etc. So was this too planned? Maybe they though that it would make Obama look more hard working and oblivious to tradition. Meaning he's just working so hard that he doesn't have a second to think about these things.

I think Obama will be a fantastic President. Perhaps one of the greatest ever!

What do guys here think of this?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
President-Elect Obama was shown in an interview on 60-Minutes tonight. I was surprised to see that he didn't unbutton his jacket when he sat down for the interview.

Isn't a man supposed to do this?

It made me wonder a bit... I tend to think that everything politicians do is staged, contrived, planned, etc. So was this too planned? Maybe they though that it would make Obama look more hard working and oblivious to tradition. Meaning he's just working so hard that he doesn't have a second to think about these things.

I think Obama will be a fantastic President. Perhaps one of the greatest ever!

What do guys here think of this?
Think of what-gauging Obama's capability before he even takes office, or not unbuttoning his jacket?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Please take note of all the news casters and sportscasters on TV for the next week and report back on the % of them that button the coat while seated and on camera.

My hypothesis: 90% buttoned.

Yes.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
aha...no need to get into this fellas. let's not keep this going. if you like him 'great' if you don't 'great'...no need to discuss it here.

as far as the suit coat...i wouldn't read too much into it...it looks a bit more well kept and formal to keep it buttoned i'd say. obama being a rather trim guy, it works for him.

Danny

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I commented on this while watching tonight. The biggest issue was when Obama's hands were at his side and the end of the tie hung down in his crotch area. It wasn't flattering and one of his aides should have picked up on it.

·
Site Creator
11,755 Posts
Please take note of all the news casters and sportscasters on TV for the next week and report back on the % of them that button the coat while seated and on camera.

My hypothesis: 90% buttoned.

Yes.
This is probably true since most sit behind a desk.

The "rule" is buttoned when standing, unbuttoned when sitting (single breasted jackets only). Double breasted jackets are always butttoned.

Pres-elect Obama's keeping his jacket fastened didn't bother me as much as his necktie hanging out, which he covered most of the time with his hand(s).

I think he's going to have some fun with the press!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Andy's right. Needs to be unbuttoned while sitting.

I don't see it reflective of Obama's style so much as it is reflective of the overall style today which favors the buttoned-up jacket. Note that most TV people wearing three-button jackets button up both the top and middle buttons. Sort of ridiculous but there it is.

tjs

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
...The "rule" is buttoned when standing, unbuttoned when sitting (single breasted jackets only). Double breasted jackets are always butttoned...
Not to distract from this threads topic but, what does one do when in a situation that calls for a bit of bouncing up and down...such as Church services? Depending on the fit of the jacket, I sometimes just leave it buttoned or unbuttoned to avoid the frenetic scramble of buttoning/unbuttoning every time we sing a hymn.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Meaning he's just working so hard that he doesn't have a second to think about these things.
Maybe I'm just cynical (though probably for good reason), but this just reads "troll" to me. Especially the last little bit about "I think Obama will be the greatest president. What do you think?" He seriously "doesn't have a second" to contemplate unbuttoning a jacket when he sits? Does it require that much forethought? Kind of like how you zip up when you're done at the urinal. It takes some time, but it's just something you do.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Not to distract from this threads topic but, what does one do when in a situation that calls for a bit of bouncing up and down...such as Church services? Depending on the fit of the jacket, I sometimes just leave it buttoned or unbuttoned to avoid the frenetic scramble of buttoning/unbuttoning every time we sing a hymn.
And what church do you sing your hymns in Eagle?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Maybe I'm just cynical (though probably for good reason), but this just reads "troll" to me. Especially the last little bit about "I think Obama will be the greatest president. What do you think?" He seriously "doesn't have a second" to contemplate unbuttoning a jacket when he sits? Does it require that much forethought? Kind of like how you zip up when you're done at the urinal. It takes some time, but it's just something you do.
I was somewhat suspicious as well.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Anyone who knows anything about broadcasting would know that when you are seated for TV you keep your jacket buttoned. If you unbutton your jacket when seated, it simply won't drape properly and your tie will look off center from your lapels. That's why Brian Williams. Charles Gibson and every local anchor or SportsCenter dude has his jacket buttoned. I can see where most would not know this. I only picked it up while taking broadcasting classes in college.

This is one of those cases where the "rules" mean nothing. He was simply set up for how he would look for the mid-torso shots that made up 95% of his interview. I do agree he shouldn't have had his tie hanging down with his hands in front.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
ding ding ding.

JB

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Anyone who knows anything about broadcasting would know that when you are seated for TV you keep your jacket buttoned. If you unbutton your jacket when seated, it simply won't drape properly and your tie will look off center from your lapels. That's why Brian Williams. Charles Gibson and every local anchor or SportsCenter dude has his jacket buttoned. I can see where most would not know this. I only picked it up while taking broadcasting classes in college.

This is one of those cases where the "rules" mean nothing. He was simply set up for how he would look for the mid-torso shots that made up 95% of his interview. I do agree he shouldn't have had his tie hanging down with his hands in front.
True. I think you're supposed to pull your buttoned jacket down by the vent to straighten out the back line, then sit on the vent. This is supposed to keep you jacket straight even if you wag your head or move your arms while on camera. The old James L. Brooks movie, "Broadcast News," has a scene in which one of the news anchors does this.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.