Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
1,603 Posts
The USA and French teams look sharp.

The main theme for those wearing traditional clothing is blazers. Notice how much better these look in a sporting context. Compare with the Netherlands team, which although wearing piping on their jackets, are wearing matching trousers in a suit fashion.

· Banned
16,023 Posts
Pretty cool. I like the white (mother of pearl?) buttons. Wonder if I could wear a blazer with MOP buttons and get away with it...

· Registered
1,603 Posts
You can get yours too:

Nearly 200 jackets will be available for $695 after the opening ceremony at RalphLauren.com and at Ralph Lauren stores; Lauren expects they'll sell out this weekend. Former President George H.W. Bush-the US team's honorary captain and the grandfather of Lauren's girlfriend, Lauren Bush (hey if they marry, she'll be Lauren Lauren!)-is getting his own opening ceremony uniform, the blazer embroidered with his POTUS 41 title. "Whether he wears it or not, we'll find out," Lauren says.

· Registered
2,219 Posts
The hats are ok....

they give the US outfits a kind of Gatsby look which is understandably American. But why only have the girls wearing ascots? Since the ascots are not needed to differentiate sex in these unisex outfits, I think all team members wearing ascots would have been better. Or is the uniform designer trying to say ascots are a more feminine attire?

· Banned
16,023 Posts
I'd rather spend $695 on something else, despite that they LOOK cool. The embroidery is too much for wearing it out of context.

· Registered
1,240 Posts
The flat caps looked a bit "aren't we cool".
The caps are unfortunate as is the RL pony logo. I wonder if the U.S. is the only country with a commercial logo on their uniforms.

I think the French have us beat on style points, although I find the inclusion of handbags for the ladies a bit strange, although I know enough about ladies handbags to know I don't know anything about ladies handbags.

Cheers, Jim.

· Registered
3,334 Posts
The UK commentators suggested Ireland and Italy were the best of the bunch. But I did not see them. I did hear that John Rocha was involved in the Irish design and that the Italians wore silver shoes.

· Banned
16,023 Posts
I like flat caps. Same function as baseball caps, but look better. :)

· Banned
16,023 Posts
They look way better IF they are of a reasonable size. The ones they are wearing are almost cartoonish (did I just invent a word) due to their size.

Cheers, Jim.
I agree actually... but they're still a big improvement over baseball caps IMO.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.