Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, we threw our annual summer party and...on a lark...I bought a 12-pack of Olympia and threw it in with the Miller Lite and Red Stripe. I hadn't tasted Oly in many years. It's surprisingly good and incredibly cheap. It proved to be a popular choice.

I now see that Schiltz (which is owned by PBR I believe) will soon be available in its original recipe. From what I understand, when Schlitz changed its recipe many years ago, it totally sunk the brand.

I know there are many beer drinkers on the fora. What's your favorite "old school" brand? My personal favorite is Miller High Life, The Champagne of Beers (if only for the very cool "banquet" bottle).

·
Honors Member, <br>Varsity Captain
3,590 Posts
Leinenkugel's is my favorite, but I also like Blatz, Pabst and Grain Belt.

In college, my friends and I always bought the old school beers: PBR, Old Style, Leinie's, Stag, Stroh's, Old Milwaukee, Hamm's and Falstaff (now gone). Busch has only been around since the 50s, but is my favorite of the A-B brands.

I brought a case of Pabst to our block party, and it was very popular with my neighbors.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
The old brews!!

Nice forum.
Hi LaxPlayer my friend.

I miss my Ballantine Black India Ale, the original one my friends. Also, Rheingold, and Piels beer as well.
And Rupperts Knickerbocker!!
God almighty, what rot gut. But I loved them.
I remember a lot that I enjoyed over the years, oly and strohs I enjoyed.
Too many beers now, to complicated. This is why I drink the scotch malt whiskey.

Nice day gents

·
3,590 Posts
Nice forum.
Hi LaxPlayer my friend.

I miss my Ballantine Black India Ale, the original one my friends. Also, Rheingold, and Piels beer as well.
Too many beers now, to complicated. This is why I drink the scotch malt whiskey.

Nice day gents
Hi, Jimmy.
Must be local beers you guys have listed. I've never heard of Ballantine, Piels and Rupperts. Rheingold I have heard of, but never had. Though unless you have spent time in the Midwest, you probably have not heard of Grain Belt, Blatz and Leinie's.

It's funny, I have seen PBR on tap at some upscale bars along side the imports and micros.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It's funny, I have seen PBR on tap at some upscale bars along side the imports and micros.
PBR is grown in popularity in the past few years by virtue of the fact that it's an "anti-brand" in many respects. It has a cult following on college campuses and with newly-minted grads. The funny thing is, because it became popular by virtue of what is ISN'T (a big brand like Bud or Miller, or a higher priced micro), PBR is very cautious about marketing itself too loudly. There has been a lot written about it within the ad trade media the past couple years...do a Google if interested. Fascinating stuff.

One "old school" beer that bears mentioning is Carling's Black Label from Canada. A truly vile brew that actually tasted a little bit like the can it came out of...very "tinny."

Does anyone remember generic beer? Plain white can with "Beer" printed on it in black. If memory serves, Falstaff made it out of their Omaha brewery.

·
3,590 Posts
PBR is grown in popularity in the past few years by virtue of the fact that it's an "anti-brand" in many respects. It has a cult following on college campuses and with newly-minted grads. The funny thing is, because it became popular by virtue of what is ISN'T (a big brand like Bud or Miller, or a higher priced micro), PBR is very cautious about marketing itself too loudly. There has been a lot written about it within the ad trade media the past couple years...do a Google if interested. Fascinating stuff.

One "old school" beer that bears mentioning is Carling's Black Label from Canada. A truly vile brew that actually tasted a little but like the can it came out of...very "tinny."

Does anyone remember generic beer? Plain white can with "Beer" printed on it in black. If memory serves, Falstaff made it out of their Omaha brewery.
A friend of mine had a few of those cans as decorations in his dorm room. His were white with a red stripe around the top and bottom of the can. It had BEER in big red letters across the middle. I'm not sure what they tasted like, he wouldn't open them. They made an interesting shelf display next to his, um...."water pipe". :icon_smile_wink:

Try an association. like..uhh... Let's say the average person uses ten percent of their brain. How much do you use? One and a half percent. The rest is clogged with malted hops and bong resin.
-Tommy Boy

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Generic brew

My friend

Yes, white or yellow can. With BEER on the label. Cheap. Made by Falstaff, or one of them.
Not bad, big saving in the PX!
Not a bad, cheap beer.
Carling, yes. Remember Mabel?
The ad calls out for Mabel, Black Label?
God, am I old or what.

Nice day

·
Registered
350 Posts
I must admit to liking the 'sweet' bitter beers from Badger. Some great names amongst them:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sadly I can't have beer anymore but I suppose my favorite is Orval from the Abbaye Notre-Dame d'Orval in Belgium. Their modern brewery opened in 1931 and I believe they produce the finest Trappist beer today.

As far as light american macro lagers that became popular post prohibition, I just can't celebrate them any more than I could celebrate short sleeve dress shirts ;)

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
johnm

johnm,

We are talking about class beers here my friend. Fancy drinking beer!! Not that garbage from Belgium. That would not match with a great Brooklyn Piels my friend, let alone PBR!
LOL

Nice day my friend

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Favorite old beer

Actually was reading TMMKC note. And myself have enjoyed Olympia in the past.
On any given day, a hot one at that. After a hard day of work. The first beer that goes down, tastes like it was made in heaven.
Nice day

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Nice forum.
Hi LaxPlayer my friend.

Nice day gents
I love the Brooklyn Brews...I threw a party at my old place, and served Rheingold, Piels and Schaeffers...Shaeffers was the fan favorite, followed by Rheingold, which is also tasty...the Piels on the other hand was like drinking carbonated terpentine.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Old Milwaukee

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I love the Brooklyn Brews...I threw a party at my old place, and served Rheingold, Piels and Schaeffers...Shaeffers was the fan favorite, followed by Rheingold, which is also tasty...the Piels on the other hand was like drinking carbonated terpentine.
I remember touring the Schaeffer brewery in PA as a boy. Can't forget Utica Club, Carlings and Mickey's big mouth

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Rolling Rock!

Rolling Rock was a mild trend at Penn in the 70s, as it substituted nicely when you couldn't afford Heinekens! Regional brands Reading and Ortliebs were around then (are they still?) and were foul enough to make you swear off drinking. Yeungling is both old school and modern, with several great varieties to choose. I still toss back a 'Rock now and then. Bill

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rolling Rock was a mild trend at Penn in the 70s, as it substituted nicely when you couldn't afford Heinekens!
I recall that ordering a "bucket of Rocks" was pretty popular at the bars I frequented in the late 80s and early 90s. Rolling Rock actually goes well with a lot of foods, as it has a pretty mild flavor that doesn't overpower what you're eating.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.