Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Site Creator
11,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is great stuff! I got some No.4 Shaving Soap for Men and it's amazing.

I normally shave in the shower, and this works there, especially since you can use it not only for shaving but as a body wash and a shampoo!!

But I followed the directions for shaving outside the shower and had to try it a couple of times, since the first time I got the closest shave ever (and didn't believe it!!).

No over powering fragrance, but a nice clean smell. It really works.

They also have Pear Tree Specialty Soap for Women which my wife really likes.

Please mention you saw this on AskAndy when you order!

·
Site Creator
11,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do the two scents compare? Is the scent the only difference between the men's and the women's?

But what becomes of my soap bowl & badger brush?!
Pr B:

I did a quick look at the ingredients on both bottles and they seem the same. Just smell different.

I tried using it in the shower today for both shaving and shampoo. Seemed to work fine. I think it's better for shaving outside the shower!

I'm pretty sure you can use it on your badger brush to clean it!! :icon_smile: And speaking of scent, in the shower I did miss a strong fragrance. But maybe it's better. I once used some shampoo that was "Rain Forest" and afterward had an uncontrollable desire to cut down trees and kill spiders! :icon_smile_big:

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Andy: Thanks for the heads up...always looking for better ways to complete the morning grooming routine. Having a shaving brush that's on it's last legs, this could save me the expense of replacing the brush, should it prove as effective as it sounds...and the "green" issue is also a plus.

Will share my opinions, once I've received my order and had the opportunity to take the OPR #4 out for a test shave or two! Thanks again.

·
37,088 Posts
^^Received the Old Post Road shaving soap on Saturday and have since had two opportunities to shave with it! As stated in the OP, it afforded a remarkably close and comfortable shave and left my face feeling almost silky smooth. Surprised to learn the product shipped from Holland, MI...just a few hours drive from here.

There was one mildly disconcerting aspect to my experience, shaving with the Old Post Road product. Though we do have softened water and I followed the instructions to the letter, I was not able to work up much of a lather with the soap...just a few bubbles really but, it did leave the skin well lubricated and perfectly conditioned for shaving!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've been using OPR shaving soap for about 2 weeks now and I'm quite pleased; the only thing I dislike about it is that it's a bit too runny. I think it needs a bit more viscosity. Sometimes it seems as though half of the pump is lost because it drains between my fingers before I can get it onto my face.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don't count on a traditional lather. But it is truly a game changer. I've put away my brush and cream.

What I've found to reduce runniness is to wet your face with hot water, then dry your hands off before applying the shaving soap. The water already on your face is plenty.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Some Updates

Thanks for the comments.

I've been making some slight modifications to the original formula based upon some comments I've gotten from DE and SE shavers. I'll know in a few days how that turns out. If it works, No. 4 will be even milder without losing any of its lubricating qualities (or cleaning qualities). If it doesn't do what I'm hoping for, I'll just stay with the original formula. That seems to be pretty darn good.

I can't do anything about how runny it is. That's the true state of a natural liquid soap. If I tried to thicken it artificially I'm afraid it would clog the razor.

The travel size is still waiting for the labels to come in. I don't know why, but this round of labels has taken a long time to work out with the printer. I am adding bar codes, so maybe that's the issue.

And finally, when the travel size labels do come in, I'll add a bay rum fragrance. Andy has again been gracious enough to allow me to use his forum to make the announcement when that's ready to go.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Old Post No. 4 Half Way Through First Bottle

Well, I have gotten half way through my first bottle of Old Post Road No. 4 Shaving Soap, and I must say, I really love this product. I am using it faster than I would if I were just using it for shaving, because I am using it to wash my face and hands. I even tried it as a shampoo once or twice, and it is marvelous. I now have something that I love for myself, and will give to friends.

A couple of pieces of advice for OPROCo:

1. Don't listen to too much advice. Just keep making the product. I don't care if you expand product lines. That's fine, as long as you keep on making this.

2. Don't let the accountants convince you to let the quality go down because no one will notice. Believe me, people notice. I don't care what the bean counters say. They have no taste or style anyway.

3. Be a smart marketer, but don't try to grow too fast.

4. If you are going to tinker with the product, then, yes, work on the smell, Vetiver, great, Bay Rum OK, but leave the stuff alone.

Good luck again.

Back to you soon for a reorder.

Joe

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, I have gotten half way through my first bottle of Old Post Road No. 4 Shaving Soap, and I must say, I really love this product. I am using it faster than I would if I were just using it for shaving, because I am using it to wash my face and hands. I even tried it as a shampoo once or twice, and it is marvelous. I now have something that I love for myself, and will give to friends.

A couple of pieces of advice for OPROCo:

1. Don't listen to too much advice. Just keep making the product. I don't care if you expand product lines. That's fine, as long as you keep on making this.

2. Don't let the accountants convince you to let the quality go down because no one will notice. Believe me, people notice. I don't care what the bean counters say. They have no taste or style anyway.

3. Be a smart marketer, but don't try to grow too fast.

4. If you are going to tinker with the product, then, yes, work on the smell, Vetiver, great, Bay Rum OK, but leave the stuff alone.

Good luck again.

Back to you soon for a reorder.

Joe
Joe,

Good advice! I made one modification to add aloe vera oil extract to the formula, and then adjusted the glycerin a bit to accommodate that. Other than that nothing else was changed. I can't really tell a difference using a cartridge, but the double edge and straight edge shavers tell me it helps them.

I also added a bay rum fragrance, so there are now two fragrances to choose from. And the labels are finally in, so next week I'm hoping to have the web site updated with an ability to offer travel size options. I also got some black pumps, which I think look pretty cool and will be on the bay rum bottles.

You don't have to worry about me listening to accountants. I've discovered that guys who take this seriously are a very discerning lot. There's not much I could get away with, even if I wanted to. I'm real pleased with the formula. I sincerely believe what I put on the label, that it's the finest shaving lubricant in the world. I wouldn't want to change that.

Growing slow is definitely the way for me to move forward. My business model is to incur no debt, so I only grow as the market pulls the product. I'm not pushing it.

Two things I've found with this formula. A slight modification makes for a really good face wash for teens with acne conditions. So I did create a label for that. The second thing is that this is a very good soap for people who need to wash their hands frequently, like restaurant workers or medical personnel. It's a phenomenal cleaner and kills bacteria but nourishes the hands. Works great as a shower soap too. So I created another label for that as well. The web site will be updated to reflect those two new lines.

But the thing I'm most interested in is No. 4. It's been very satisfying to see how it's been received thus far. I'm in no hurry for it to grow in the market, and a nice little niche would be more than enough to keep things going.

I really appreciate your comments and support. Launching a business has been an entirely new experience, and it's good to have a positive impact in the market.

Julian

·
37,088 Posts
^^OPROCo: My wife and I take the occasional road trip. If we find ourselves in the Holland, MI area, do you have a storefront operation? Or are your sales limited to your website?

Yours is, by far, the best shaving lubricant I have yet encountered!

·
Registered
27 Posts
^^OPROCo: My wife and I take the occasional road trip. If we find ourselves in the Holland, MI area, do you have a storefront operation? Or are your sales limited to your website?

Yours is, by far, the best shaving lubricant I have yet encountered!
I don't have a storefront. Maybe in a year or so. The downtown area of Holland is really nice and it would be a good location. Right now we're knee deep in tulips and the city is having the grand finale parade for its Tulip Time festival. But if you do make it up here let me know; I'd be happy to show you around.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.