Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wearing my Lucchese ostrich ropers fairly regularly lately. I have half heartedly been looking to add a second pair of boots and came across these lizard skin ropers in bourbon. Had to have them! Hoping they'll be arriving Friday.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Ivygrad71, this is getting just a littler spooky...we think a lot alike when it comes to footwear. Allow me to share a recent purchase of mine, that was delivered during the same week as my most recent pair of Lucchese's. With the Lucchese's made in the USA and the Tecova's made in Mexico and sold out of Austin, TX, I wanted to see how the Brands compared in a head to head comparison. May you long wear this new boot purchase and may you do so only in good health! :icon_cheers:

Footwear Brown Shoe Sleeve Human leg

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a friend that swears Tecovas are just as comfortable and well made as Lucchese so i figured id give them a shot. I certainly can’t complain about the price, very reasonable. How do you like yours? They’re a good looking boot.

·
37,088 Posts
The Tecova's are very well made. The materials seem to be of better than just good quality. The more than reasonable pricing enabled me to round out my exotic leathers collection. Having only had them on twice for brief periods of time, on my second try, I seem to have gotten a good fit. I normally wear a 9.5D and the Tecova's fit me in a 10D. While it's a bit early in the process for me to offer a head to head comparison of Lucchese's and Tecova's at this point, I am quite certain you and your friend are right that a customer gets a great deal of value for the dollars spent of a pair of Tecova's.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Tecova's are very well made. The materials seem to be of better than just good quality. The more than reasonable pricing enabled me to round out my exotic leathers collection. Having only had them on twice for brief periods of time, on my second try, I seem to have gotten a good fit. I normally wear a 9.5D and the Tecova's fit me in a 10D. While it's a bit early in the process for me to offer a head to head comparison of Lucchese's and Tecova's at this point, I am quite certain you and your friend are right that a customer gets a great deal of value for the dollars spent of a pair of Tecova's.
Thank you for that. I too am normally a 9.5 and was advised to go with a 10 in the Tecovas. I was torn between the lizard and the caiman but ultimately felt the lizard was a little sleeker and dressier. If they are of good quality and comfort the caiman may be a future addition.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm glad these Tecova boots are getting some discussion. I really like the Caiman Roper boot. I've tried to pull off traditional cowboy boots a few times and just felt like I was trying to hard. The lower heel of the roper seems much more like a regular boot, although I would imagine the Caiman hide would still make them plenty (maybe too) flashy.

·
37,088 Posts
I'm glad these Tecova boots are getting some discussion. I really like the Caiman Roper boot. I've tried to pull off traditional cowboy boots a few times and just felt like I was trying to hard. The lower heel of the roper seems much more like a regular boot, although I would imagine the Caiman hide would still make them plenty (maybe too) flashy.
I can identify with your struggles with traditional western designs, but I do have four pair of them that see incidental wear. My ropers see more regular wear. As far as the Caiman hide boots being too flashy, put the worries from your mind...they are just memorably handsome! Tecova's pricing on their exotics is almost unbelievably good...I suspect you will find it to be a great value.;)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Roper styles fly under the radar IMO much easier than traditional style cowboy boots. I also find the heel to be much more comfortable if you have to do a lot of walking.

·
Registered
244 Posts
It does appear that the Tecova cowboy boot and the roper boot have the same toe, correct? It certainly appears that way. I ask as it seems traditional for cowboy boots to have a slightly pointer toe compared to a more conservative rounded toe on the ropers.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
My brother an avid Lucchese fan for 15 years or so, now swears by Tecovas.

I too struggled with the traditional cowboy boot as a youngster, down here ropers are looked at as riding boots, or uniform boots. Wearing ropers with business attire, or even jeans is a strange thing. Having spent very little time tending to cattle, or riding horses I always felt as though I was trying to hard by wearing boots.

·
37,088 Posts
I think some degree of initial sensitivity is pretty normal when first presuming to wear shafted boot designs. In reality, others just are not routinely looking that closely at us. At least that pretty accurately describes my wearing experience. However, with added experience, the uneasiness quickly becomes but a fading memory. At this point, I find myself wearing boot designs on at least half the days of each year. :cool:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Resurrected this thread. I have four pairs of boots in the last year or so.
  • One, my fave, are Double H and are rubber-soled and I think they are work boots
  • Lucchesse Ostrich ropers
  • Frye side zip harness boots
  • Allen Edmonds Normandy but do not like the laceup feature nor how they look
So I am thinking since all of my boots are brown, and I have no black shoes other than dress (a pair of Ferragamo bit loafers are too dressy with jeans), maybe a black pair are in order.

In this regard, I am torn between
  • Dan Post Mignon black leather or
  • Ariat Heritage Ropers
Would wear them with jeans and khakis and occasional blue dress pants and a sweater. I am thinking Caiman is way out there and would probably work better for me in a brown. Lizard, I am warming up to and would consider Tecovas if they had black.

The stitching on the Dan Post may not work with a dressier pair of pants, but the slightly taller heel in the back made the boots feel comfortable. My feet rest more on the ball of the foot and not as much pressure on the arch. Sorta like how the Lucchesse are. The Ariat is a lower heel being a roper and is more like the Double H.

Pros of the Dan Post: I like the look and the heel. Downside, that slick leather sole.

Pros of the Ariats: Probably more comfortable if I am going to be on my feet all day. Rubber sole, orthotic insert they have. $40 cheaper.

Anyone got any suggestions?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.