Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The question is, what to wear to my wife's corporate Christmas party? It's a large, international high teck enterprise where she works in a non-managerial position.

The invitation says, "business casual to semi-formal." Business casual is not an option, of course. Dinner jacket?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
NO, "Dinner Jacket" would be formal in the context of the modern era or that company' invitation. There is only one thing more formal - white tie - and they say semi formal.

Probably suit without tie would fit easily - towards the top but way above the bottom. You do not want to embarrass her by overdoing it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I work for a high tech company too. I would wear a suit with tie personally. Reality is, if you get a glimpse of the place and you think the tie is over the top, you can just take the tie off and stick it in your pocket or whatever.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
My ex-wife worked for a high-tech company also ....

and I went to their annual Christmas party/dance with her. Top management wore black tie (corporate officers). All others wore suits, with a sprinkling of the few who didn't wear a tie. Wear a suit and tie, which you can always take off, but probably shouldn't.

·
Site Creator
11,755 Posts
Liberty Ship:

You might want to review two of the articles linked from the Home Page:

1. Cracking the Dress Code (make sure the host knows what the terms mean)!:

EVENING SEMI-FORMAL: (weddings, theatre opening nights) Black dinner jacket or white in summer (tuxedo), black trousers with one satin seam on the outside leg, black vest or cummerbund, black bow tie, white silk scarf, black or gold cufflinks and studs.

DAY or EVENING INFORMAL (Don't think casual!) also COCKTAIL, or BUSINESS ATTIRE: This requires a business suit, necktie, lace-up shoes, and for evening occasions a non-button-down collar dress shirt. Make certain that the person sending out the invitations really means informal and not casual since this is a common misconception!
2. What to Wear to Holiday Parties:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, gentlemen, for your replies and judgment. Sadly, I agree and I will wear a suit; with a tie, of course. While I could have been nudged into my dinner jacket, my instincts, confirmed by your comments, tell me that was not the intent of the committee of human resource "camp counselors" who have engineered the event.

Actually, I suspect that the suit I have in mind, along with French cuffs and the Robert Talbott tie I have selected will still leave me "overdressed." So be it! I will not yield another inch!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Whilst you are not yielding to your principles, think of your wife who has had scant consideration in many of these responses.

Thank you, gentlemen, for your replies and judgment. Sadly, I agree and I will wear a suit; with a tie, of course. While I could have been nudged into my dinner jacket, my instincts, confirmed by your comments, tell me that was not the intent of the committee of human resource "camp counselors" who have engineered the event.

Actually, I suspect that the suit I have in mind, along with French cuffs and the Robert Talbott tie I have selected will still leave me "overdressed." So be it! I will not yield another inch!

·
Registered
520 Posts
I started working for a high tech startup in the late 90's. During their holiday parties, most men put on a jacket and tie. When the stock began soaring, some guys even went for custom suits(although being fairly young, most of their style choices were probably questionable in the eyes of our forum.) Even one or two higher ups would wear dinner jackets.

Now, I work for a dot.com survivor, a much smaller company. At the parties, you'd be lucky if every guy showed in in long pants(senior officers included.) The few guys who bother wearing dress shirts with open collars are considered "decked out."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.