Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My office is throwing a Christmas party, they have pointed out that they want it "smart casual". what are some of your ideas (if you were to go what would you wear)? Just trying to get an idea of what to wear without over or under dressing for the occasion. Thanks a bunch in advance for any and all posts on this topic.

·
Registered
679 Posts
"Smart Casual" is one of those vague terms that can mean almost anything.

In a nice restaurant here in Dallas, "Smart Casual" means business casual, but just a half-step up. Nice polo-style or buttoned shirt, nice trousers and shoes. Perhaps nicer fabrics for your garments than business casual.

No jeans or tennis shoes.

Kind Regards,

Chase

·
Registered
913 Posts
I would go with a sport coat, trousers and a dress shirt...are you bringing a date? Ladies tend to like to dress for Christmas parties (often overdressing and looking a bit ridiculous but nevertheless, you don't want to look like a **** ;) )

I didn't know "s l o b" is a bad word

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm somewhat vexed on this myself, but for different reasons.

The staff at my office are quite young (mid to late 20s for the most part) and the company calls for formal dress for the company christmas party. I've not been this company's chirstmas party as I only started with the company this year, but I have seen photos from last years party and the subject of what to wear has already come up around the office. The younger staff tend to rent BAD tuxedos, white limousines and hotel rooms at the conference centre where the party is held. It is almost like a highschool prom night all over again. Management (who are mostly in their 50's) tends to wear dark lounge suits and go home early.

The invite does call for black tie, but I know full well the host of the party (my employer) has no intention of wearing a DJ. The peacock in me says wear my nice midnight blue, shawl lapel DJ, patent shoes and a bow tie and do it right, but I really think I would look out of place and I would only be doing it to prove a point. If the host doesn't intend to wear black tie, should I?

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Well our office parties are huge,usually about 200 people.
In 98 I went in Edwardian style rig
99 to 04 - Black tie
05 - Trad skinhead evening wear - grey 3b suit, dark blue Ben Sherman pique, Oxblood Dr Martens
06 - similar to 05
07 -black tie
08- probably casual kilt rig

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are saying around 600 attending, wanna blend in and not stick out like a sore thumb. looks like ill be finding a nice sport coat for purchase. What are your takes on the missmatch sport coat and trousers? I think it looks a bit odd to have missmatch clothing on. Of course I'm younger and may not see the point behind it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That makes sense. Guess I will have to look at them a little closer, see if I can't appreciate the look a bit more.

While we are still on this subject, I was curious about shoes. I own a very comfortable pair of square toed shoes, I have failry large feet 12 1/2 US. When i look down my feet seem to be out of place in the shoes, is there a way that i can change this feeling? Like maybe changing the break in the pants to hide a bit of the shoe that is exposed?

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
That makes sense. Guess I will have to look at them a little closer, see if I can't appreciate the look a bit more.

While we are still on this subject, I was curious about shoes. I own a very comfortable pair of square toed shoes, I have failry large feet 12 1/2 US. When i look down my feet seem to be out of place in the shoes, is there a way that i can change this feeling? Like maybe changing the break in the pants to hide a bit of the shoe that is exposed?
Sorry, but you need some tough love here mate:icon_smile_wink:: Buy new shoes!!!! Square toes never look formal or elegant.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
What are your takes on the missmatch sport coat and trousers? I think it looks a bit odd to have missmatch clothing on. Of course I'm younger and may not see the point behind it.
It's fine if you're a Bulgarian or Russian civil servant, and I've met plenty of those dressed in dark grey trousers and a jacket in another nuance of dark grey:icon_smile: But otherwise...nahh....avoid like the plague!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry, but you need some tough love here mate:icon_smile_wink:: Buy new shoes!!!! Square toes never look formal or elegant.
ok, well I am an american living in the UK. I don't really like shopping on the British economy, is there a site online that you could refer me to? Or possibly one you have seen circle the forums a few times?

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
ok, well I am an american living in the UK. I don't really like shopping on the British economy, is there a site online that you could refer me to? Or possibly one you have seen circle the forums a few times?
Well sir, with that kind of anti-Briish trade attitude, I feel it my duty not
only to not help you sir, but to hinder you ar far as possible sir! Yes sir, YOU sir! :icon_smile_wink:
I would have thought you chappies had spilt enough tea in the harbour!!!! :icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
They are saying around 600 attending, wanna blend in and not stick out like a sore thumb.
You REALLY need a Brit business type person to reply. All these Yanks and Swedes won't help you with fitting into the current UK conditions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You REALLY need a Brit business type person to reply. All these Yanks and Swedes won't help you with fitting into the current UK conditions.
Well, I don't work for a british company. The only brits that would be attending are spouses of my co-workers (USAF). If that helps any, so the american traditions/conditions still apply.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would think the most appropriate outfit is dependent on the location of the event, not necessarily the event itself. If the party is at your office, I think a small step up would be most appropriate (if casual, throw on a coat, if a tie is required throw on a suit). If you are going OUT to a restaurant, or some offsite location, then I would bring it up two steps (straight from dress casual to a suit).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.