Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread may be a silly effort, and if it dies, so be it. In consideration of recent threads regarding break-in procedures, I feel as if this may be of some interest during the summer.

Let's see everyone's top-siders. The more distressed the better.

I'll be wearing these out and about today.
They are going on their third year.
https://img224.imageshack.us/i/dsc02515.jpg/
https://img221.imageshack.us/i/dsc02513.jpg/https://g.imageshack.us/img221/dsc02513.jpg/1/
There's a rather juvenile story regarding fraternity activity and why these are missing their laces.

·
Registered
371 Posts
English, those topsiders go great with your orange pants. I also like your speakers*, however un-trad they lay be :p

* Edit: I just noticed the book on your desk, do you work for B&O? If so, thats pretty cool. I like the phone they make.

Here are my pair of Timberland "topsiders"; my Sperry's were destroyed a long time ago in an optimist (expecting to fit comfortable at 6' tall sure is optimistic!) or Hobie 16 (roomy by comparison).

These ones were handed down by my grandfather, who sailed almost exclusively in a 30 or 50 footer, and therefore did not get his shoes waterlogged nearly as often. The soles, however, are another story...

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Every once in a while I give them a coat of Clark's waterproofer and conditioner which slightly cleans, darkens, and glosses the leather.

As for the laces.

One of my brothers thought it would be a good idea to pull the laces out and hang them off of our roof. Fortunately, getting on our roof is simply a matter of crawling out from any number of windows.

At this point, the eyelets were already bent out of shape and the shoes so beaten that I thought it silly to try and put the old ones in or get new ones. For a while I wore them tied through the four eyelets, topped with Eastland style coils, and after a while, I decided enough with it- I'll go completely minimalist.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Nico-

The duct tape is as trad as it gets! Makes me want to start an "ode to patches" thread!

And yes, I actually run the B&O in Greenwich where you'll often find me listening to David Bryne and enjoying a dark & stormy. Come on in and I'll give you the AAAC discount!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Just happened to be wearing my LL Bean heavy-duty boat shoes today ... I have worn them as beaters, rain shoes and for yardwork, and well, on a boat ride. They appear to take abuse in stride and seem to ask for more:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^ I've never really seen a pair pull away from the sole like that. Interesting.

I generally wait until the heels have collapsed to indicate that I need a new pair of 'presentable' Sperrys. The other pair is then relegated to "beater" status.

Regarding wearing Sperry's at Church- I just started attending again at the beginning of this summer, after a long hiatus (for no real reason other than laziness), and it bothers me that a few people (read: adults) wear Sperry's with their blazers and khakis to Sunday services. While I am rarely seen without a pair during the school year, and even occasionally with blazer and tie for fraternity ceremonies in which even wearing Weejuns would be regarded as far too serious, I think some locations warrant more appropriate and mature sartorial decisions- church being one of them.

On a different note-
What's the opinion on wearing boat shoes with the "Eastland knot" or barrels/coils?

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
^ I've never really seen a pair pull away from the sole like that. Interesting.

I generally wait until the heels have collapsed to indicate that I need a new pair of 'presentable' Sperrys. The other pair is then relegated to "beater" status.

Regarding wearing Sperry's at Church- I just started attending again at the beginning of this summer, after a long hiatus (for no real reason other than laziness), and it bothers me that a few people (read: adults) wear Sperry's with their blazers and khakis to Sunday services. While I am rarely seen without a pair during the school year, and even occasionally with blazer and tie for fraternity ceremonies in which even wearing Weejuns would be regarded as far too serious, I think some locations warrant more appropriate and mature sartorial decisions- church being one of them.

On a different note-
What's the opinion on wearing boat shoes with the "Eastland knot" or barrels/coils?
A.S.
In regard to dress attire at Church-boat shoes maybe some folks "sunday best" but more important it is better to have them at services then not there at all.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A.S.
In regard to dress attire at Church-boat shoes maybe some folks "sunday best" but more important it is better to have them at services then not there at all.
I totally agree. I hope that statement didn't come across as insensitive. Based on this community and the cars in the parking lot, I don't think anyone in their S-class is without a pair of dress shoes.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
It seems that there comes a point when one should discard their top-siders. There is a line between shoes that have character and shoes that are destroyed.
I wholly agree.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.