Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or rather, trousers from a glenplaid suit, worn as odd trousers? I'm wondering what users think about this "free trousers" technique.

I've heard mixed things about suit trousers as odd trousers in general. If the suit is solid, clearly this is fine. If it's pinstripe, I probably wouldn't wear them without the jacket. But as for glenplaid, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
separates

I think with regards to odd trousers in glen paid it all depends on the scale of the plaid. If the plaid is so tight as to really denote a staid suiting fabric especially if it is an hard worsted it might not work. If the pattern is strong, however, it could be useful as an odd trouser as it gives enough contrast to a solid jacket. By the way you CAN use striped suiting as separates if the stripe is bold enough: anything finely pinstriped will scream suit and not mix as well. In the thirties many men wore bold chalk striped suit jackets as odd jackets for example, with flannel trousers in single shade of grey and so on. The general rule I think is to use those suits that one can imagine as sport jacket material. Conversely, certain solid suits can be broken up if the shade is particularly versatile like a standard dark navy or charcoal or plain tan.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
36,683 Posts
As was stated in an earlier post, wearing Glenn plaid suit trousers as odd trousers, can work well with the the more generously dimensioned plaid designs. It is certainly something I have done in the past and will continue to do.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
If this is part of a suit and the jacket is still extant, what you propose will cause the two pieces to wear and fade at different rates. Thus, over time, they will no longer match and this will look bad.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If this is part of a suit and the jacket is still extant, what you propose will cause the two pieces to wear and fade at different rates. Thus, over time, they will no longer match and this will look bad.
+ 1. The pants of a suit take the grunt of the wear as it is without having to be called on for extra duty as an odd pair. Better to buy and wear an odd pair of trousers in a glen plaid fabric if the suit still matters to you.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
My benchmark is the same as for deciding whether to buy a patterned jacket.
If it looks like it could be part of a suit, I wouldn't wear it alone. The inverse of this applies when looking at patterned suits. If the jacket could serve stand-alone as a sport coat I won't buy it as a suit. Everyone will have their own take on this but in the end you have to be comfortable with your own choices.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I'd agree with both the foregoing key messages; (i) it probably can be done if the pattern is suitably bold, (ii) you are running a risk of wearing out the trousers and thus putting a suit out of commission if you do it too often.

·
Registered
8,410 Posts
I'd agree with both the foregoing key messages; (i) it probably can be done if the pattern is suitably bold, (ii) you are running a risk of wearing out the trousers and thus putting a suit out of commission if you do it too often.
If the trousers are a bold glen plaid, the jacket would be bold enough to wear by itself as well. But I'd wear it as a suit until one part or the other wears out.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I bought these glen plaid odd trousers at a Brooks Bros outlet. They garnered quite a few compliments from the ladies, no matter which shoes I was wearing. So if your suit trousers are similar, they should work fine.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I bought these glen plaid odd trousers at a Brooks Bros outlet. They garnered quite a few compliments from the ladies, no matter which shoes I was wearing. So if your suit trousers are similar, they should work fine.
That looks very nice. I like the shoes, too.

I have always wondered about shoes like that -- how do you shine them without getting polish on the suede?

·
Registered
542 Posts
That looks very nice. I like the shoes, too.

I have always wondered about shoes like that -- how do you shine them without getting polish on the suede?
Thanks. The surest way to avoid getting polish where you don't want it is to mask those areas.

·
Registered
259 Posts
LaoHu said:
The surest way to avoid getting polish where you don't want it is to mask those areas.
Some elaboration of this technique, with photos if possible, would be greatly appreciated by more than one reader.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
I've done so with the pants of suits purchased many years ago, in my student days. The jackets betray their cheapness of construction, and don't fit well, so I gave them away to charity. The pants are not my finest, but are presentable, so I continue to wear them. I've found that such orphaned worsted wool suit pants are actually very comfortable on the golf course during the cooler part of the year. Glen plaid pants with a sweater top works fine.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
jamgood: I may be out of the loop, but who is that?

As was stated in an earlier post, wearing Glenn plaid suit trousers as odd trousers, can work well with the the more generously dimensioned plaid designs. It is certainly something I have done in the past and will continue to do.
Do you have any pictures?

+1! I didn't even think about that until now.

the louder they are the better I like them.
Did Edward VIII actually say this? I don't think of his choices as particularly loud from the pictures I've seen, just somewhat country-ish.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have 3 pair of glen plaid trousers that get most wear during fall and winter. Great with sweaters, OCBD and B&H longwings. I have one suit that is a milder glen plaid which requires careful selection of ties along with a pale blue shirt.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.