Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Need new Blazer. Which one; O'connel's or J Press. I am 5 feet 8 inches and thin.

Help....
Honestly I have both brands and have found both great. J Press does have some trim options. I bought a doeskin blazer in trim by sizing up 1 size, as it was on sale. Their trims are shorter than the classic versions. O’Connell’s has several versions of the classic navy blazer. I bought the Southwick tropical wool one - it is excellent. Unfortunately you missed a sale at OC on their Empire-made blazer. Usually they have a MiUSA sale around the 4th, so I’d expect at least one of the navy blazers to be discounted (normally 10% IIRC).

My two cents are both are good. O’Connell’s has more consistency in sizing (in my experience). I do have a soft spot for O’Connell’s and will usually buy from them if I can. DM me if you want some notes on different O’Connell’s versions. I also know some posters have OC navy blazers. Hopefully they can chime in.

·
(aka TKI67)
3,197 Posts
I have a Southwick from O'Connell's and a trim from Press. The O'Connell's is superior. If you hew to the TNSIL mode of dress, despite being trim you should look and feel fine in a traditional 3 roll 2 sack as opposed to a trim fit. Of note, it surprised me when I bought the Press at an amazingly good price and then noticed it had been made in China. If provenance matters, query Press.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I own a few J Press blazers (and Harris Tweed sports jackets too, I might add). They are all 3 roll 2, and I am pretty sure they have undarted fronts, hook vents and other hallmarks of the Ivy style. I really like all of them, they are comfortable and look good. They were purchased years ago and saw good use when I was working, rather less after I retired, All of them were made in the US, and the quality of both cut and construction is excellent. I have no idea if the current crop of Press blazers have continued to maintain the same level of quality, whether they were made in China or in the States.

I do not own any O'Connell's blazers or sports jackets. I plan to acquire one or two eventually. It is hard to justify such a purchase when I have many blazers and sports jackets and fewer chances to wear them. And yet, LOL, the desire is still there...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have this O'Connell's blazer...

O'Connell's Classic Navy Blazer

...and it's my go-to, workhorse blazer. Two reasons that I wear this blazer so much are 1) the 'sack blazer' cut makes it very comfortable and 2) the buttons have a muted finish which are less showy than traditional brass buttons and seems to blend in with all of outfits.

I was able to go to O'Connell's a few years ago and I tried on both the Southwick blazer and the O'Connell's blazer. At the time they had all the sizes I would usually try (36, 37 and 38) so I was able to get a good comparison across the two styles. I liked both but the O'Connell's blazer fit was a little bit better so that's the one I bought.

I'm afraid I don't have any full length shots of me wearing this blazer, just torso shot...

Outerwear Tie Dress shirt Sleeve Collar

I've never tried on a J Press blazer but I do have a size 38 tweed sports coat that fits me well.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I live in Buffalo, so I think I’m required to vote O’Connell’s.

Reactions: Vecchio Vespa

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I had, until recently, a doeskin J Press blazer. It was a preference over O'Connells about ten years ago. The shoulders were more natural than the O'Connells version that I tried.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everybody. In the end I ordered the J. Press. I had one a while ago that was thrifted but just wore out. So, I am used to the J. Press. I ordered a 41R so I hope I got that close. Being in Wilmington, NC now, the tropical weight will server me well. Also, I signed up for emails and used the 10% off for the Blazer. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts