Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the middle of a minor wardrobe overhaul (fully committing to trad/Ivy and unloading the #menswear stuff), so I'm on the market for a classic 3/2 navy blazer and a 3/2 navy suit. Conveniently, O'Connell's started a 15% off sale today on select suits, sport coats, and blazers (and Allen Edmonds products too).

I'm trying to figure out which one(s) to go with.

In terms of navy blazers, I already have and .

Since I live in a climate similar to Buffalo, I was thinking about the doeskin flannel model. But based on the small amount of info about O'Connell's stuff that I can find here and elsewhere, I'm concerned that it's a fused, overly shoulder padded S. Cohen creation. If the J Press isn't a Southwick, I'd be very open to considering the Southwick model. But if the flannel is Cohen and the J Press is already a Southwick, I'll pass on getting a blazer altogether.

And then for the suit, I'm also wary of S. Cohen models. I assume that means I should stay away from this one that doesn't specify whether it has a half- or full-canvas lining and says it's potentially made in Canada. That leaves the worsted merino wool or the worsted wool surge. Aside from the wools themselves and where it's made (US vs Canada), they are basically the same. I don't know what strengths the suit made of surge in Canada has over the American merino one to justify the extra $200 at full retail.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Call Ethan at O'Connell's and ask him all your questions. I'm sure you will find him most helpful and very forth-coming about the make and model of all suits and sports coats in question.
Precisely. O'Connell's is an old-school, brick and mortar retailer staffed by people who actually are familiar with the merchandise. While you're on the phone, they can go get the product you're interested in and hold it in their hands while you're asking questions about it.

O'Connell's isn't a multi-chain megacorporation whose call center representatives have never touched the product in question, have no way of going to get it, and know only what their computer terminals tell them.

Go old-fashioned; call Ethan.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a doeskin blazer from O'C that was made in Canada. Despite the pervasive horror stories about Cohen's offerings, the shoulders on mine are comparable to the recent Southwick jacket that I have.

·
Registered
27 Posts
And then for the suit, I'm also wary of S. Cohen models. I assume that means I should stay away from this one that doesn't specify whether it has a half- or full-canvas lining and says it's potentially made in Canada. That leaves the worsted merino wool or the worsted wool surge. Aside from the wools themselves and where it's made (US vs Canada), they are basically the same. I don't know what strengths the suit made of surge in Canada has over the American merino one to justify the extra $200 at full retail.
I bought the Canada-made navy serge suit from O'Connell's about a year ago (https://www.oconnellsclothing.com/O-Connell-s-Suit-Lightweight-Worsted-Wool-Serge-Navy.html). The shoulders are not overly padded. If my fingers are sensitive enough, I'll try to figure out whether it is full-canvassed (I'm at my office and the suit is at home). As for the merino wool version you link to, either O'Connell's was not offering it a year ago or it was not available in my size.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I bought a suit and a topcoat at O'Connell's. The only thing I can say is every time I wear either, I get more compliments than when I wear all my other clothes combined.
That's not terribly surprising. Wearing all of your other clothes combined probably looks awfully silly. ;)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I love my navy Southwick blazer I bought from OC (with a really catchy striped lining) and their H Freeman Hopsack sportcoat in blue. I also have a few of the H Freeman worsted wool suits (in navy and charcoal) and I love them as well. Plus a sale is going on right now with 15% off. Anything from OC made by Southwick or H Freeman won’t disappoint you. If it does, their shipping $$ are fantastic so it’s a worry free return.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Precisely. O'Connell's is an old-school, brick and mortar retailer staffed by people who actually are familiar with the merchandise. While you're on the phone, they can go get the product you're interested in and hold it in their hands while you're asking questions about it.

O'Connell's isn't a multi-chain megacorporation whose call center representatives have never touched the product in question, have no way of going to get it, and know only what their computer terminals tell them.

Go old-fashioned; call Ethan.
This. I bought an overcoat during their winter sale. Called to ask questions and Ethan was pulling coats off the rack and measuring them as we talked. The coat was as described, a perfect fit and a darn fine coat to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
284 Posts
This. I bought an overcoat during their winter sale. Called to ask questions and Ethan was pulling coats off the rack and measuring them as we talked. The coat was as described, a perfect fit and a darn fine coat to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What did you pick up? Link?

Just to throw in another positive story about OC, I stopped in the store during a road trip through buffalo. I bought a few items (tie, socks, Shetland sweater) and asked Ethan if he wouldn't mind giving me some advice and helping me try on some items on my wish list so when I was ready to purchase them, I would know the best size for me. He probably spent 45 minutes with me helping me out and explaining some intridcate things to me. They are top notch and I try to support (ie buy a ton) from them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I emailed with Ethan and ended up getting the doeskin blazer and the merino wool navy suit. The Canadian version of the blazer is made by Empire, not Cohen, and the suit isn't made by Cohen either. They'll be arriving after work today.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.