Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Frankly I don't see a problem with his policy on dress. Its not like they'r e in there walking around with pleated, non-iron dockers, cheesy polo shirts, and square-toed, corrected-grain Keneth Cole loafers. BHO still wears a sharp suit everyday, he just takes his jacket off when hes sitting at his desk. Don't you guys take your jackets off when you're sitting at your desks? Hell - maybe he's doing it to reduce the smount of shine that builds-up on his jacket elbows...

On a related note - wouldn't it be cool if he started wearing a waistcoat so he'd still look dressed without a jacket on?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Even in the face of great challenges, the Pres still has to dress himself everyday. And this is the Ask Andy About Clothes forum.
Agreed, but it's not like he's showing up in a Hawaiian shirt and 80s "jams" shorts. In some workplaces (including ones in which I've worked), working in shirtsleeves is seen as a sign of "getting down to business." In fact, a friend who works in an upscale, boutique law office just told me that for their website's re-design, they hired a professional marketing company which insisted on quasi-candid shots that were almost exclusively in shirtsleeves and even with sleeves rolled up.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Perhaps someone can answer this, the article mentions the jacket rule in relation to W's stay at the White House, but was it a tradition before him? Is Obama truly the first to "relax" things?

I'm curious if anyone knows the history.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Another definition being mangled.

"Shirt sleeves" is a military/police uniform level. And means short sleeves (or folded long sleeves, never rolled), no tie and no tunic as the uniform dress code (SSO - shirt sleeve order) mentioned in the DOs (Daily Orders) at the start of the working day. In the military usually still reckoned as dawn
The uniform for the day is always mentioned in DOs. And both military and police DOs specify the uniform of the day based on outdoor condiitons not
indoor conditions. As indoor personnel have separate specific uniform dress codes.

It doesn't mean men in suits who have taken their jackets off indoors simply because it's warm.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Perhaps someone can answer this, the article mentions the jacket rule in relation to W's stay at the White House, but was it a tradition before him? Is Obama truly the first to "relax" things?

I'm no authority on this but I hears some things on TV during all of the innaguration activities that indicated Clinton's staff were comparatively much more casual than W's. Makes sense given that Clinton ruled during the business casual heyday.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Another definition being mangled.

"Shirt sleeves" is a military/police uniform level. And means short sleeves (or folded long sleeves, never rolled), no tie and no tunic as the uniform dress code (SSO - shirt sleeve order) mentioned in the DOs (Daily Orders) at the start of the working day. In the military usually still reckoned as dawn
The uniform for the day is always mentioned in DOs. And both military and police DOs specify the uniform of the day based on outdoor condiitons not
indoor conditions. As indoor personnel have separate specific uniform dress codes.

It doesn't mean men in suits who have taken their jackets off indoors simply because it's warm.
I think you're claiming too much here.

I don't doubt that "shirt sleeve order" is a military term, but the phrase "shirt sleeves" to refer to men wearing shirts without jackets has been in common use for many years.

For instance, here's an example from the Times from 1905: RECEIVED IN SHIRT SLEEVES.; Story of an American Minister as Told in the House. https://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9F05E1D6163DE733A25752C0A9659C946497D6CF

One from an article about Walt Whitman from 1916: Walt Whitman - Prophet In His Shirt-sleeves https://www.oldandsold.com/articles32n/spiritual-writers-2.shtml

One quote from Lyndon Johnson: "If one little old general in shirt sleeves can take Saigon, think about 200 million Chinese comin' down those trails. No sir, I don't want to fight them."
https://www.quotesdaddy.com/quote/4...erson-who-is-waiting-for-something-to-turn-up

And one that might be apropos to the discussion of the Obama dress code: "The person who is waiting for something to turn up might start with their shirt sleeves."

https://www.quotesdaddy.com/quote/4...erson-who-is-waiting-for-something-to-turn-up
Although I also found one, apparently from the English Parliament, from 1961 using the term much as you suggest: https://hansard.millbanksystems.com/written_answers/1961/jul/20/police-officers-royal-palaces-shirt

I remember from my earliest times of hearing the expression "shirt sleeves" that it seemed illogical to me. After all, the people being talked about are wearing their entire shirt, not just the sleeves. What is more, removing the jacket exposes not just the sleeves, but a whole lot more of the body of the shirt than would be exposed with the jacket on. Still, I don't think there is any hope in getting rid of it now.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Not to stray from clothing, but the real issue presented by this article is why the President, who campaigned that we need to fix the environment, is cranking the heat so high.

And just so that no one thinks that I am knocking him for politics, Jimmy Carter suggested that Americans turn the heat down and wear a sweater thirty years ago. Obama could bring vests or sweaters back into style.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts

No, he is not. Cruiser disproved this in another thread.

·
Registered
680 Posts

No, Obama is not the first to relax things. The Clintons were notoriously casual. Before them the generational effect held sway - for the most part people wore a jacket. Most famous was Reagan who refused to remove his jacket in the Oval office.

Interestingly, while W. insisted on suits in the west wing, he himself was frequently photographed working in the Oval in his shirt sleeves or with his feet on the desk, so I don't think it was an iron rule that a coat must be worn at all times.

As for all the people mesmerized at how Obama is changing the way the White House works - give me a break. Clinton has to be the man who changed the west wing the most. The smithsonian now has a stained blued dress as proof.

More interesting to me is the fascination the world has with every aspect of Obama's existence. If all I knew was what I heard on the news the last two weeks, I would have thought our new president invented both casual friday AND the blackberry.

Give me a break.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.