Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What did people think of the pictures of Obama's staff in the New York Times magazine?

I really think the photographer did a job on most of them.

However, the main thing I noticed is that most of them look like their mother dressed them and almost no one shows any cuff.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Unlike those of us who hang around this forum and others like it, I certainly hope that each member of the Obama Team has more important matters on his and her mind than if it is okay to wear a pink dress shirt, whether one can wear brown shoes with a charcoal suit, and whether spectator shoes are really, really stupid or just really stupid.

Buzz

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Well, I'm not one to be left out of the fun.... let's see what's going down on the O'Staff.

Hmmm.
I'm glad they are saving the country. They are certainly saving money, shopping where they do. BTW, the basketball lends street credibility.
It's costly to get sleeves shortened.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I forget who she is.

But, she made me realize the original poster is right--the photographer did a job on them. She, more than any other, looks thrown in there and asked some salacious question seconds before snapping off a pic.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
The pics tend to confirm my view that way too many men wear three-button suits when they should be wearing two-button suits.
Tell us why!

I don't mind the three button look .... usually. These guys aren't looking impressive in 3 or 2 buttons.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
1. they seem they will be more concerned with their work then their dresswear
2. at least they will not waste tax money on their wardrobe

I would not be surprised, if they did that on purpose to make his staff seem like normal people (just like what they are trying to do with Obama).

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
1. they seem they will be more concerned with their work then their dresswear
That's a gross assumption.
Unless you know them and their work habits.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Tell us why!

I don't mind the three button look .... usually. These guys aren't looking impressive in 3 or 2 buttons.
Unless it's cut just so, a 3-button jacket will typically tend to make a chunky man look chunkier.

Two-button creates a longer line down the front (deeper V, longer lapels) and is more likely to flatter most of us well-fed American males.

Obama himself has the sort of rangey build that can more readily get away with a 3-button, but as far as I've observed wears 2-buttons all the time, and I think still looks better for it.

For somewhat exaggerated examples of men who wear 3-button suits but probably shouldn't, just check out all the Sunday NFL football announcers, especially the ex-players and coaches. Terry Bradshaw is the only one I can think of who generally wears a 2-button suitcoat or blazer (Troy Aikman maybe as well), and I think it's a much better choice than the 3Bs favored by most of their colleagues. The only one I've seen look really good in a 3B silhouette is Daryl Johnston, and he's obviously something of a sartorialist who has his stuff MTM or maybe even bespoken.

I agree that the Obama staffers pictured in 2Bs are also not looking particularly well turned out. A coat that fits you like a bag is still going to look pretty schlubby even if it's got longer lapels.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Absolutely. The photographer and stylist did a job on them. I guess it is supposed to be a kind of declaration, not unlike the casual attire high tech tycoons wear.
But even if one looks beyond the intentional posing it still looks bad. All in all, a sartorial disaster. (I would be embarrassed to appear in these rags for the whole world to see..)

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I forget who she is.

But, she made me realize the original poster is right--the photographer did a job on them. She, more than any other, looks thrown in there and asked some salacious question seconds before snapping off a pic.
That's Samantha Power, author, expert on the Middle East, former Harvard professor and current (err...soon to be) Human Rights represenative in Obama's cabinet. She got in a lot of hot water during the campaign for calling Hillary Clinton "a monster."

Daschle looks okay (though he could use a pocket square) and Larry Summers looks like a morose sack of potatoes.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I'm betting they all look a lot better tomorrow. I did like that 3btn chalk stripe but as someone pointed out it doesn't flatter the chunky and I think the owner got chunkier on the campaign trail or whatever after the original purchase. I don't think anyone was actually trying to look their best and I don't think the camera person cared or wanted them to. These are not the photos portraits are made of, also there seems to be a lot of brown mixed with blue, I wonder if they started taking their fashion cues from each other.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.