Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

· Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Obama Campaign began running a new television commercial today, among other things mocking McCain because he supposedly can't use a computer or send email:

They omit to mention that the reason he can't is because of the injuries he suffered while being tortured as a POW:

"In certain ways, McCain was a natural Web candidate. Chairman of the Senate Telecommunications Subcommittee and regarded as the U.S. Senate's savviest technologist, McCain is an inveterate devotee of email. His nightly ritual is to read his email together with his wife, Cindy. The injuries he incurred as a Vietnam POW make it painful for McCain to type. Instead, he dictates responses that his wife types on a laptop. "She's a whiz on the keyboard, and I'm so laborious," McCain admits."

--Forbes Magazine, 5/29/00
https://www.forbes.com/asap/2000/0529/053_print.html
"McCain gets emotional at the mention of military families needing food stamps or veterans lacking health care. The outrage comes from inside: McCain's severe war injuries prevent him from combing his hair, typing on a keyboard, or tying his shoes. Friends marvel at McCain's encyclopedic knowledge of sports. He's an avid fan - Ted Williams is his hero - but he can't raise his arm above his shoulder to throw a baseball."

--Boston Globe, 3/4/2000
https://graphics.boston.com/news/politics/campaign2000/news/McCain_character_loyal_to_a_fault+.shtml
Obama's little techie people who spend all day on the internet looking for scandals to use against McCain/Palin obviously knew this, but it didn't stop Obama from churning out one of the most vile and misleading attack ads ever.

This is the lowest a political campaign has ever stooped.

· Registered
3,297 Posts
Come one guys. Obama is a serious candidate with serious solutions to what plagues this country. I particularly like these steps toward national security.

· Registered
996 Posts
I have servants to do my internets.

Yeah, because he was a POW. That's always the answer. Never mind that quadriplegics type and use the internet.

"They go on for me," he said. "I am learning to get online myself, and I will have that down fairly soon, getting on myself."
Apparently clicking on the right icon to connect is stymieing him.
"I don't e-mail, I've never felt the particular need to e-mail," Mr. McCain said.

Huh, where's the handicap excuse? Oh, that was just made up after the ad? Lame excuse.

· Registered
2,556 Posts
Yeah, because he was a POW. That's always the answer. Never mind that quadriplegics type and use the internet.

"They go on for me," he said. "I am learning to get online myself, and I will have that down fairly soon, getting on myself."
Apparently clicking on the right icon to connect is stymieing him.
"I don't e-mail, I've never felt the particular need to e-mail," Mr. McCain said.

Huh, where's the handicap excuse? Oh, that was just made up after the ad? Lame excuse.
ABSOLUTELY! What possible handicap would prevent someone from typing, using the internet, or reading an email. I can imagine it now...an important email at 3 in the morning, and McCain has his wife read it to him, and dictates a reply..."Take a note..."

· Registered
1,441 Posts
I think the outrage would be a bit more legit if it was about his age which is what they were clearly going after. McCain has joked himself about not knowing how to use a computer, so he's opened himself up on this one.

But in general, the GOP is going to cry foul on anything, for any reason. Considering the massive amount of flak they're taking for last weeks ads which are pretty much all dishonest, I don't think people are going to feel too bad for McCain.

-spence

· Registered
4,368 Posts
ABSOLUTELY! What possible handicap would prevent someone from typing, using the internet, or reading an email. I can imagine it now...an important email at 3 in the morning, and McCain has his wife read it to him, and dictates a reply..."Take a note..."
From the Boston Globe (March 4, 2000):

"McCain gets emotional at the mention of military families needing food stamps or veterans lacking health care. The outrage comes from inside: McCain's severe war injuries prevent him from combing his hair, typing on a keyboard, or tying his shoes. Friends marvel at McCain's encyclopedic knowledge of sports. He's an avid fan - Ted Williams is his hero - but he can't raise his arm above his shoulder to throw a baseball."

That report notwithstanding, I don't believe for a minute that the Obama camp knew that when they constructed the ad. Just like I don't believe that Obama remotely called Palin a pig. That said, both instances betray are certain surprising "amateurishness" for a campaign that was extraordinarily competent in the primary.

· Registered
323 Posts
From the Boston Globe (March 4, 2000):

I have that problem with my OTR suits too. If I had McCain's money I'd get bespoke. Crazy bastard.

· Registered
3,297 Posts
The guy doesn't feel the need to use the internet or send email. It may surprise some of you that a world existed before the internet and email. I very much doubt that our present technology was present to those who made the first atomic bomb, or designed rocket for the moonshot, but somehow it got done.

We have seen racial and class division and exploitation before. In this election we have also seen gender bias and this ad is nothing more than ageism. In the end I'm fine with it. I would rather my president not know how to email or use the internet than one who carouses with domestic terrorists, slum lords, racist preachers and who thinks that dancing on a dopey daytime talk show and put up a 3-point shot is qualification to be POTUS.

· Registered
3,297 Posts
I have that problem with my OTR suits too. If I had McCain's money I'd get bespoke. Crazy bastard.
Sorry but I don't get the point of your post.

· Registered
2,556 Posts
Ageism? Nice. So if someone were to be fired from their job for refusing to respond to email communication with their superiors, or is constantly missing important meetings because the don't use email, then its ageism? Lets take it a step further...what about people who refuse to use the telephone because "the world was fine for the past few thousands of years without it". Its simple ignorance on his part...or even further, stupidity. Who wouldn't desire to use technology that has GREATLY improved the world we live in because its "fancy and new". I work with teachers who won't create a web page, even though a simple template is given to us, and students GREATLY benefit from it. Its stupid, and lazy.

The guy doesn't feel the need to use the internet or send email. It may surprise some of you that a world existed before the internet and email. I very much doubt that our present technology was present to those who made the first atomic bomb, or designed rocket for the moonshot, but somehow it got done.

We have seen racial and class division and exploitation before. In this election we have also seen gender bias and this ad is nothing more than ageism. In the end I'm fine with it. I would rather my president not know how to email or use the internet than one who carouses with domestic terrorists, slum lords, racist preachers and who thinks that dancing on a dopey daytime talk show and put up a 3-point shot is qualification to be POTUS.

· Registered
996 Posts
McCain is Mr. Pitt who sends Elaine Benes out to buy white socks.

It is not ageism, as even geezers generally have figured it out by now. My boss is McCain's age, and has no computer at work. He can't reduce a copy or upload images from a camera, but he can log on and navigate the web.

It is being out of touch. Remember when Bush the Greater marveled at bar code scanners in 1991? Hilary having no clue what Red Bull was in 2008? Marie Antoinette saying 'Let them eat cake..." McCain is insulated from modern reality in the same way our non-reading current President is. This is not good.

It also really shows that the dog can't learn new tricks at all. How many hours of watching aides pull up websites does it take till you figure it out?

· Registered
3,297 Posts
Ageism? Nice. So if someone were to be fired from their job for refusing to respond to email communication with their superiors, or is constantly missing important meetings because the don't use email, then its ageism? Lets take it a step further...what about people who refuse to use the telephone because "the world was fine for the past few thousands of years without it". Its simple ignorance on his part...or even further, stupidity. Who wouldn't desire to use technology that has GREATLY improved the world we live in because its "fancy and new". I work with teachers who won't create a web page, even though a simple template is given to us, and students GREATLY benefit from it. Its stupid, and lazy.
The last time I checked the president does not need to design web pages, create excel spreadsheets, respond to emails or any of the other pedestrian uses of a computer. Like any busy executive, he will have a staff to do that. I would rather my president's attention be turned towards greater issues than what his gmail user name should be.

· Registered
3,297 Posts
It is not ageism, as even geezers generally have figured it out by now. My boss is McCain's age, and has no computer at work. He can't reduce a copy or upload images from a camera, but he can log on and navigate the web.

It is being out of touch. Remember when Bush the Greater marveled at bar code scanners in 1991? Hilary having no clue what Red Bull was in 2008? Marie Antoinette saying 'Let them eat cake..." McCain is insulated from modern reality in the same way our non-reading current President is. This is not good.

It also really shows that the dog can't learn new tricks at all. How many hours of watching aides pull up websites does it take till you figure it out?
It has nothing to do with being out of touch. That is a sentiment harbored by those who are arrogant enough to think that that which they know is what everyone else should know. I'm actually glad HRC didn't know what Red Bull was. To be quite honest, although I have heard of it, I really don't know what Red Bull is. I don't think of myself as out of touch. Anyone time I hear a rapper on the radio I automatically think its P-Diddy.

The fact that McCain doesn't email or use a computer is of very little concern to me. Those are tools and for someone like him they probably don't matter to him. I'm sure next to some 14 year old kid you're a geezer who doesn't know the latest tech application.

· Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
The president will have plenty of people to do his computer research for him. If it bothers you that he is "out of touch", you probably had other reasons not to vote for him anyway.

· Registered
2,556 Posts
The president will have plenty of people to do his computer research for him. If it bothers you that he is "out of touch", you probably had other reasons not to vote for him anyway.
You're 100% right. It just goes to further the stereotype that the GOP is not in touch with everyday Americans. They use religion to blind the working classes, and their economic policies to pocket who really controls this country. Having just re-read this, I'm not sure if many Democrats wouldn't also fit into this stereotype.

· Registered
3,297 Posts
You're 100% right. It just goes to further the stereotype that the GOP is not in touch with everyday Americans. They use religion to blind the working classes, and their economic policies to pocket who really controls this country. Having just re-read this, I'm not sure if many Democrats wouldn't also fit into this stereotype.
My friend agrees with you:

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.