Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to know what people thought the best fabric stores in and around New York City are? I'm trying to put together a few pieces and I've just moved to the area. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
At tip top they are very helpful but you have to know what your looking for. A lot of the stuff they say is from Kiton an Loro Piana doesn't seem credible. It's either fake or rejected.

You may be able to buy direct from Dormeuil or get Scabal from the fabric Czar in the fashion district. They will both be a lot more expensive though. Cloth from tip top is about $55 a yard real Loro Piana and Dormeuil starts at about $130.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The tip top stuff is real. At least all what I have seen. They buy for their own bunches and I think are the agents for Charles Clayton, and they buy ends from the mills and from the manufacturers and merchants.

There is always something interesting there, but maybe not the specific thing you are looking for. They had Loro Piana Storm System that is hard to get a hold of, some great jacket length's from Draper's - Barberis's merchant, they bought the cashmere jacket sampling that Barberis introduced a while back - which is perfect, but something that didn't quite take off for the mill, so better to sell at cost to someone like tip top then for the mill to sit on. They also had some purple cashmere coating a while back that was popular with the hip hop /NBA crowd. They also supply Mood fabrics in the city. They don't have everything and don't claim to and are by no means as exhaustive as Mood, but I am hard pressed to find a better fabric store for men's suiting anywhere in the world. If someone does have a better store, please let me know.

There are some seconds there, but it is usually marked, or sometimes the finish isn't right, and you just have to be careful, but that applies to things leaving from a mill directly as well. I usually go to Peter Lugar's for lunch, then there is a grumpy's coffee down the street and then Tip Top, makes for an enjoyable afternoon. They are a great source of inspiration and I always walk out a lot poorer and lusting after something.

It is not the best laid out, but if you tell them what you are after, they usually find it or the next closest thing they have in about thirty seconds. If you are serious and willing to spend money, I cannot think of a better place you can walk in and see and touch super 80s to 210s. Highly recommended.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.