Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
14,999 Posts
Eagle, I would have more sympathy for your point if most of these monuments have been erected at the time the events happened, or shortly afterwards. As it stands, many were built at the height of Jim Crow to make a political stand that blacks should continue to be seen as inferior people and that the South should still be managed by their superiors. They were not erected to commemorate US history, but to make a political point to the "lower races". I am absolutely in favor of taking these pieces into museums, where proper context can be given, instead of their current places in public spaces.
Then perhaps you should move there and then perhaps your opinion on the matter may actually carry some weight. Until then, it's really none of your concern.

What happens with such monuments is a matter to be decided locally. Not by far off intelligentsia.

· Registered
14,999 Posts
So, I make a polite message disagreeing honestly with eagle, whom I respect tremendously, and get attacked from being a Brazilian (???) or not living in the South (??)? By these absurd standards, I hope you completely refrain from ever spouting an anti-abortion stance (you are not a woman, so you cannot ever comment on their bodies), or on world events in general (since you live in the US). Also, never ever comment on African Americans marching against police brutality (unless you are a cop or African American), gay marriage (I assume you are not gay, open or closeted, but may be wrong) or on any subject that does not take place in your state or do not involve your existence as privileged males. Agreed? I am fine with that and the level of discourse in the Interchange will be much improved by you shutting the hell up about anything else that does not concern you directly. I will promise to do the same and comment solely on events that directly concern me (given I live a peripatetic life, I will still enjoy quite a lot of freedom). A small price to pay to stop seeing your opinions written in the forum.
Resorting to straw man arguments does not redeem you in the least bit. Not to mention that you're engaging in a line of argument and reasoning that at best can be called a non sequitor. At worst, a drunken tirade.

· Registered
14,999 Posts
Referring going back to the OP of this thread and updating same,
I read in the Yahoo news feed this AM of the more than 100 young female Olympic athletes who have reported Dr. Larry Nassar, many testifying at his trial and sentencing hearings and also claiming to have notified 14 to 20+ MSU officials over a period of more than 20 years. It seems the sole response of said MSU officials was to caution other (female) MSU employees working directly with Dr. Nassar to be careful, that Dr. Nassar was known to get a little frisky. No other recorded actions seem to have been taken and the doctor continued (uninterrupted) his employment at MSU! Where is the public outrage and widespread condemnation? :icon_scratch:
Unfortunately, this is the sort of thing that occurs within large bureaucracies. Individual thought and initiative are sacrificed for the sake of following routine and order. As long as the forms are signed and everything is in order then it's business as usual.

When something is amiss and noticed by someone, there's no incentive to do something about it; "that's no my department" or "that's not part of our collective bargaining agreement."

What happened here is what often happens in large organizations. Things go unnoticed because individual initiative is abrogated for the sake of the machine.

What these poor girls had to endure at the hands of this pig, I cannot imagine. At least he's gone now and perhaps there will be more oversight this time. Personally I refuse to see minors in my practice unless a parent or a guardian is present during the examination. A policy like this will go a long way in tamping down some of the fears of this sort of thing happening again.

· Registered
14,999 Posts
I know who he is. The point remains - these apologies are as worthless as they are latterly de rigueur.
I caught sight of another former US female gymnast the other night being interviewed. She denies having been sexually assaulted by this person, but does go on to say that her training in the Karolyi system was abusive. She was subjected to being called chubby and told to compete through pain.

A young lady who has written a book and no doubt has traded well off the fact that she is a gold medal Olympian.

This is getting out of control. I'm beginning to think that Bridget Bardot and Catherine Deneuve are the only ones thinking clearly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.