Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Eagle, I would have more sympathy for your point if most of these monuments have been erected at the time the events happened, or shortly afterwards. As it stands, many were built at the height of Jim Crow to make a political stand that blacks should continue to be seen as inferior people and that the South should still be managed by their superiors. They were not erected to commemorate US history, but to make a political point to the "lower races". I am absolutely in favor of taking these pieces into museums, where proper context can be given, instead of their current places in public spaces.

· Registered
1,078 Posts
So, I make a polite message disagreeing honestly with eagle, whom I respect tremendously, and get attacked from being a Brazilian (???) or not living in the South (??)? By these absurd standards, I hope you completely refrain from ever spouting an anti-abortion stance (you are not a woman, so you cannot ever comment on their bodies), or on world events in general (since you live in the US). Also, never ever comment on African Americans marching against police brutality (unless you are a cop or African American), gay marriage (I assume you are not gay, open or closeted, but may be wrong) or on any subject that does not take place in your state or do not involve your existence as privileged males. Agreed? I am fine with that and the level of discourse in the Interchange will be much improved by you shutting the hell up about anything else that does not concern you directly. I will promise to do the same and comment solely on events that directly concern me (given I live a peripatetic life, I will still enjoy quite a lot of freedom). A small price to pay to stop seeing your opinions written in the forum.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.