Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many suits, sport jackets, shirts, ties, trousers, shoes etc. Give me your opinions about the colours and patterns aswell. What about accesoires such as belts, cufflinks, tie bars. Is that neccesary?

:icon_study:

·
Registered
647 Posts
How many suits, sport jackets, shirts, ties, trousers, shoes etc. Give me your opinions about the colours and patterns aswell. What about accesoires such as belts, cufflinks, tie bars. Is that neccesary?

Such a number, if produced, would be grossly inaccurate in almost all cases except for the person who produced said figure. Many factors come into play here - what do you do for a living, how old are you, what is your preferred style?

If you are a man of means working in a job that requires you to wear a suit every day to the office, your wardrobe must obviously skew heavily towards suits. However, you could be a lawyer, wearing lots of navy and charcoal with plan shirts, or you could be working at a tailoring or fashion house, in which case you very well may have suits and shirts with exotic colors, patterns, lapels, etc.

No two gentlemen should have exactly the same closet; banish the thought. Such a uniformity of choice and look would be anathema to the very idea of individual style/fashion.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
your asking people to write a novel ! 580+ posts and you dont know the answer to this ?? come on man !

here is my answer:

5 suits, 10 jackets, 30 shirts, 40 ties, 10 pair of good pants, 6 pairs of shoes, 10 belts, 5-10 pair of good cufflinks.

Everything is plus or minus 40% and if you cant get it done with that you arent doing it right. Most people would say less than what I wrote but thats the point, there is no "right" number. It depends on your needs, level of quality, storage space etc.

A better question is how do you get going in the right direction because the quantities will sort themselves out over time. The right direction is to move towards things that fit that have lasting style.

Step one is to try on everything you have and separate what fits from what doesn't, get rid of whatever you have that is worn out, ill-fitting or something you never wear because of color or style.

Step two is figure out what you NEED as it relates to your life. Do you need suits for work? Do you go out a lot? what are your casual clothes needs? Do you live in someplace really hot or cold? What kind of work clothes rotation do you need at a minimum?

Step three is start adding items of lasting quality that are tailored to fit or at least fit OTR which will meet your needs. Buy things that give you color and style options but that can be mixed and matched with your existing clothes.

Step four is slowly replace cheap junk clothes you have from step one with clothes from step three.

Step five add clothing until you run out of storage space (optional but typical of AAAC members!)

repeat the steps until your dead.

Thats my answer! ...and no tie bars arent necessary (unless you want one).

·
Registered
647 Posts
I didn't mean to sound so acerbic before. As penance I did a mental tally. My personal closet consists of:

• 3 suits (1 navy pinstripe, 1 charcoal, 1 brown)
  • 2 jackets (1 blue, 1 brown corduroy)
  • 20-25 dress shirts (mostly whites, blues, pinks, and basic stripes, but with some prince of wales or other conservative patterns thrown in)
  • 10-15 pairs odd trousers (mostly charcoal, lighter grey, brown, or tan, maybe a pair of navy)
  • 6 pairs dress shoes (2 black, 4 brown) I have bals, bluchers, and a pair of slip-ons. Personally I loathe black shoes but they have their place.

As for accessories,

• 2 sets of cufflinks and a dozen or so silk knots of varying colors
  • 30-40 ties (do have to wear them daily)
  • I have a black belt and 2 brown belts
  • My socks are all over the place. About half normal dress socks and half bright patterns.
As I said though, this works for me because most days I don't have to wear a suit to the office (in fact it's unofficially discouraged, but I do it regardless). Especially with regards to accessories, it should be left up to your own tastes. Some men would not be caught dead wearing a tie bar; for others it is a signature piece. Personally, I try to offset the conservative colors of my suits and shirts with slightly contrasting ties or semi-outrageous socks. Also, I don't wear a lot of double-cuff shirts, but when I do I have a pair of silver barbell cufflinks that are my "go-to" set. They are very sentimental, and while boring, go with just about any shirt.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
This is an exceptionally personal question. A person's wardrobe is unique. You can have as little or as much as want or need. There is no set dictate.

A suitable wardrobe goes over suggestions, but anything anyone mentions is opinion and suggestion and has almost nothing to do with a proper gentleman.
your asking people to write a novel ! 580+ posts and you dont know the answer to this ?? come on man !
Yeah, seriously.

Step five add clothing until you run out of storage space (optional but typical of AAAC members!)
>.< GAH! Embarrassing. My secret is out.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Flatline TWO jackets !?!?! Just TWO ???

...dude come on... get shopping. Sell a kidney or whatever.
I will be sure to pass your sentiments on to Mrs Flatline.

You must excuse me, I grew up with a single mom and didn't learn nearly anything about men's clothing until senior year of high school. I may be 25, but I am only wearing jackets/blazers at a third-grade level. If it helps, I just got my Bookster fabric swatches in the mail today. I am leaning towards a 2btn in the Autumn Leaf herringbone.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I am leaning towards a 2btn in the Autumn Leaf herringbone.
I have a 2 btn Autumn Leaf from Bookster. It's wonderful! Very thick fabric and very attractive.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts

"Accessories such as belts . . . . Is that [Are they?] necessary"? Of course belts are "necessary" unless all the trousers are fitted with braces buttons, and then braces would be "necessary." Otherwise, what are all those belt loops for? Well, I suppose one could make do with side tab adjusters.

I'm a bit surprised that no one providing a list included at least one tuxedo, patent shoes, and a couple formal shirts and the requisite bow tie and cummerbund or waistcoat. Of course, they could have merely been taking the OP literally, since he did not mention formal wear either.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I didn't mean to sound so acerbic before. As penance I did a mental tally. My personal closet consists of:

• 3 suits (1 navy pinstripe, 1 charcoal, 1 brown)
  • 2 jackets (1 blue, 1 brown corduroy)
As for accessories,

• 30-40 ties (do have to wear them daily)
most days I don't have to wear a suit to the office (in fact it's unofficially discouraged, but I do it regardless).
I know this is a bit off track but I have to ask: do you wear a tie everyday? Without a jacket (you said you don't have to wear a suit everyday and you only have 2 odd jackets)?

I say this because it brings up two points: 1) Almost all the memers here would say "Don't wear tie without a jacket." 2) If you say "damn the office" and wear a suit or jacket everyday even though you are discouraged I think you should consider getting more suits and/or jackets. You could easily burn through these relatively quickly if you keep rotating them this heavily.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
647 Posts
I know this is a bit off track but I have to ask: do you wear a tie everyday? Without a jacket (you said you don't have to wear a suit everyday and you only have 2 odd jackets)?

I say this because it brings up two points: 1) Almost all the memers here would say "Don't wear tie without a jacket." 2) If you say "damn the office" and wear a suit or jacket everyday even though you are discouraged I think you should consider getting more suits and/or jackets. You could easily burn through these relatively quickly if you keep rotating them this heavily.

Just a thought...
We are really derailing this poor thread, but that's OK. Yes, I do occasionally wear a tie with no jacket. It's not a look I particularly like either, but I am guilty. I also tend to wear cardigans or v-neck sweaters over my shirt+tie combo as an alternative to a suit or blazer.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have 3 suits, and 7 odd jackets. I really need to get some more shirts and ties. I have 4 pairs of good dress shoes and I just ordered 2 more (damn you AE sale!). I am 25 and trying to increase my wardrobe as I increase my knowledge.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I will be sure to pass your sentiments on to Mrs Flatline.

You must excuse me, I grew up with a single mom and didn't learn nearly anything about men's clothing until senior year of high school. I may be 25, but I am only wearing jackets/blazers at a third-grade level. If it helps, I just got my Bookster fabric swatches in the mail today. I am leaning towards a 2btn in the Autumn Leaf herringbone.
Ok then, you're coming along nicely !

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Yeah, and some wardrobes are just fatuous. Most of these guys have nicely proper wardrobes. Mine is 8 tweed suits, 4 regular wool suits, 2 tuxedos, 4 seer sucker suits, 2 poplin suits, and 3 odd jackets, tons of odd pants and vests, and about 20 shirts I like to wear (another 20 that are more colorful and patterned which I rarely wear). 26 pairs of shoes. 100+ ties. 10 ascots/cravats. 6+ bow ties. Oh good god.... it's really over kill. Anyone could easily do with 1/4 of what I have.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, and some wardrobes are just fatuous. Most of these guys have nicely proper wardrobes. Mine is 8 tweed suits, 4 regular wool suits, 2 tuxedos, 4 seer sucker suits, 2 poplin suits, and 3 odd jackets, tons of odd pants and vests, and about 20 shirts I like to wear (another 20 that are more colorful and patterned which I rarely wear). 26 pairs of shoes. 100+ ties. 10 ascots/cravats. 6+ bow ties. Oh good god.... it's really over kill. Anyone could easily do with 1/4 of what I have.
Why would you need two tuxedos? Do you go to yhe opera often? Are you a member of some social group that holds alot of formal dinners?

Just asking, because I had not run across two many people that have two tuxedos.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Why would you need two tuxedos? Do you go to yhe opera often? Are you a member of some social group that holds alot of formal dinners?

Just asking, because I had not run across two many people that have two tuxedos.
Tails and regular. Weddings, award shows, but no opera. Oh, and swank dinners.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.