Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
patrick - very nice pick up.

may i ask what the "posh" section is?
The store is unusual in that it benefits an agency that helps those without adequate insurance or funds get medical care, so there is a paid staff as well as volunteers. So they actually need to make a few bucks, more so than the shop connnected with the Congregational church in Kent, for instance.

There is a regular section, men's and women's, but the nicer pieces go to "Posh" and are priced higher than the usual thrift shop. Not outrageously so, but enough to make the seasoned thrifter do a double-take sometimes.

Not as bad as the Torrington Goodwill, where today I saw a perfectly nice but perfectly ordinary Burberry glen plaid suit for $150. Huh?

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
There is a regular section, men's and women's, but the nicer pieces go to "Posh" and are priced higher than the usual thrift shop. Not outrageously so, but enough to make the seasoned thrifter do a double-take sometimes.

Not as bad as the Torrington Goodwill, where today I saw a perfectly nice but perfectly ordinary Burberry glen plaid suit for $150. Huh?
Go figure--I've given up trying to figure out how they price things at these places. Goodwill, in my experience, is the most inept--a bazillion bucks for bunk and next-to-nothing for truly amazing stuff. Shopgoodwill.com is especially irritating, a sliding scale for shipping and handling that fluctuates based on purchase price. Any rate, I did pretty good today (but not as well as Patrick, whom I am beginning to despise) at Salvation Army. A pair of new brown wingtip made-in-England Doc Martens for $24 from the glass case (as opposed to the racks). Not trad in some eyes, but comfortable-as-butter knockabouts that will last years, based on my last dearly departed pair. Also a pair of nice Cole Haan brown oxfords with rubber soles for $1.58 (half-off, from the racks) that will do fine in foul weather when I don't want to risk better shoes with leather soles. And yes, I do have rubber overshoes. But you can't be too careful.

·
Registered
410 Posts
New Sammy

I ordered a 6-on-1 DB suit from Samuelsohn. It arrived at the shop yesterday, and I had it fitted today. The chest and shoulder is from the Greenwich I model, but the lapel expression was drawn up by Sammy's pattern guy based on instructions I worked out with Dorian Anderson, Sammy's local rep, and a Lawrence Fellowes drawing we copied out of the Esquire book from a few years back. (It's handy when merchants have that kind of thing on the bookshelf.) The suit is lambswool flannel in navy with a very widely spaced light grey chalk stripe. The trouser is a full silhouette with single forward pleats, extension waist, on-seam pockets, and button side tabs.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.