Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now,I am "pro choice" regarding dinner jacket lapels,but not tailcoats.For me,there is only peak,but lately,I have seen more and more notch lapels.When did this fad start?I know it used to be primarily in rentals,but now I'm seeing them in retail.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
WARNING: Nothing to do with notch lapels!

In the Astaire film Top Hat, Edward Everett Horton wears a shawl lapel evening tail coat.
Was this ever a real alternative?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Perhaps the trend will breathe new life into this rather dead uniform piece, at least here. Though, I much doubt it. I don't think anything will bring back formal dress to the scale it once was. Unless, the government makes a law that requires people to do wear a tail coat!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
By the rules, it should be wrong. By my instincts, it should be wrong.
Nevertheless, whenever I see a notch-lapelled tailcoat, I think of Christopher Plummer as Captain von Trapp in The Sound of Music:
https://www.movieactors.com/photos/soundmusic31.jpeg

And I believe his performance in that scene can be found in the OED under "dashing."

I've seen the odd vintage picture of a morning coat with a notch lapel, so it's not entirely unfounded. Besides, the usual canard about notch-lapel tuxedos is that it makes the jacket look like a common black suit. There's no risk of that with a tailcoat.

No, I'm not endorsing the notch-lapel tailcoat, but I will say that lapel shape is not nearly so important as some people make it out to be.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
I like shawl tailcoats. They are unique.

Otherwise, peak for me. M would be unique, too.
M notch lapels haven't been seen on dress coats since the 1870's when they had their last, glorious hoorah:

If I were to have a dress suit made, I would seriously consider M notch lapels to try to inject new life into this garment. It would be both novel to the point of being a touch fashion forward, as well as soundly based on historical grounds and tradition.

The lapels in the above illustration have a touch too much belly for my taste but the angle of the M's is perfect. I also find the style of collar, and thin bow tie closing with jewellery fascinating. Notice that someone has inked an alternation in the cut of the coat into the plate - probably a customer or tailor when putting in an order.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I take it you are talking about evening tails? This is a double breasted coat, cut so that the fronts cannot fasten, but retaining the rows of buttons. It has to have peaked lapels because it is, for all that, a double breasted coat.

The morning coat, on the other hand is a single breasted coat, and so single breasted/ notch lapels are entirely correct.

Leon

·
Registered
542 Posts
M notch lapels

Interesting idea. Since they haven't been seen since the 1870s, they pre-date the lounge suit, but I wonder how they'd look on a lounge suit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.